Islamophobia hurts people of other religions too !

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
:boohoo:

Can I get a collective "AHHHHHHHHHH !" ?

Islamophobia hurts people who aren't Muslim, too. The Daily Show takes a look.

The ugly bigotry that surrounds Islam is bleeding over to a group of Americans who have nothing to do with Islam: the 250,000 or so people in the US who identify as Sikh.

The problem? Americans seem to have no idea who Sikhs are. In a Daily Showsegment aired Monday, people on the street were more likely to point to pictures of binoculars, a bird, and children playing hide-and-seek than a picture of a man wearing a turban as an example of "a Sikh."

Instead, when people see a Sikh man wearing a turban, they assume he's Muslim. And worse, because of Islamophobia, they often assume he's a terrorist.

Actor Waris Ahluwalia is familiar with this type of prejudice. He told The Daily Show's Hasan Minhaj that he was kept from boarding a plane because he refused to take off his turban, a symbol of his faith. This wasn't the first time Ahluwalia had issues at the airport, either: "Almost every time I fly back to the US, I get a secondary screening."

He can't just take off the turban, either. Ahluwalia explained, "The turban is part of my religion. It's part of my faith. It represents who I am, what I believe in, the values that I hold dear and true. And those values are Sikh. Those values are American."

Ahluwalia isn't alone. In a panel with other Sikh Americans, Minhaj heard more stories of discrimination: "I've been called ISIS a lot recently." "Americans who see Sikhs automatically think we are terrorists." "The turban is what makes us the target."

In response, Minhaj jokingly suggested that the best way to combat prejudice may be a publicity campaign that shows Sikhs are "just like us."

Islamophobia hurts people who aren't Muslim, too. The Daily Show takes a look.

If you've paid attention to a lot of these scare threads about Islam, you would see that there are many people on this very board who don't know the difference between Sikhs and Muslims.

Incidentally, Sikhism is closer to Christianity than it is Islam.

Depending on where you live in the U.S., you likely would come across a Sikh before you would a Muslim.
At least you would have years ago.

Depending on where you live in the U.S., you likely would come across a Sikh before you would a Muslim.
---------------------------------- both are very rare around these parts and i like it that way . Sikhs though . heard that they and muslims are natural enemes in some countries . Probably because the muslims make it that way .

---------------------------------- both are very rare around these parts and i like it that way . Sikhs though . heard that they and muslims are natural enemes in some countries . Probably because the muslims make it that way .
That conflict was started by the usual over there, western meddling.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim.
Sikhs don't cut their hair.
They wear a Kara-steel bracelet
They wear a neatly prepared turban
They also wear a small symbolic sword.
They have no intent to harm you.
Muslims:
They call you infidel, scream allah-ahkbar and try to blow you up.

I think I saw some Sikhs outback. They owned a servo. They had a bay marie with Indian food. Are their idian Sikhs?

I thought the Daily Show was a comedy show??
If people inadvertantly mistake Sikhs for Muslim and are apprehensive about it, blame Islam. Just blame Islam. It's their fault. They're the ones murdering everybody. Duh.

If you've paid attention to a lot of these scare threads about Islam, you would see that there are many people on this very board who don't know the difference between Sikhs and Muslims.

If you've paid attention to a lot of these scare threads about Islam, you would see that most are started by ignorant rightwing bigots.

If you've paid attention to a lot of these scare threads about Islam, you would see that most are started by ignorant rightwing bigots.
You mean like the Daily Show.

In this day and age when every rational, educated person knows all middle east religions are BULLSHIT, any idiot believing any of them should be ashamed.

Hasty generalization fallacy.

:crybaby:

Flying while Muslim
The Stream looks at recent incidents of Muslims being removed from US airlines and how they are responding.

From the moment many Muslims step foot in an airport, their demeanor changes, as they are, at times, met with suspicious stares, extra screening and in extreme cases removed from flights.

On April 6, Iraqi refugee Khairuldeen Makhzoomi was traveling from Los Angeles to Oakland, California on Southwest Airlines when he was removed from the aircraft during boarding, after another passenger heard him speaking Arabic on the phone. The airline said the passenger who reported Makhzoomi overheard “comments perceived to be threatening”. This is not a rare occurrence. The Council on American-Islamic Relations reports there have been at least six cases of Muslims being pulled off flights thus far in 2016 alone.

Hate crimes against Muslim Americans and mosques around the US have tripled since the Paris and San Bernardino attacks, according to a recent study by the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University.

Flying while Muslim

Forum List

Back