It's June 4th!

[. . .]It took over 20 years of active struggle for women to earn the vote.[. . .]

...and it only took 'em a year to criminalize some of the things that made life a little more bearable for their men.

The womens Prohibition push might have been payback for taking cocaine out of mothers little helper Coca-Cola. But Rockefeller is the real culprit, he got alcohol banned to prevent it from competing with his gasoline.

Seems kind of silly to debate whether the 19th happened "at the right time".

It took over 20 years of active struggle for women to earn the vote. Sure many felt women didn't deserve it, weren't smart enough to handle it, and didn't have a need to have a say in the laws they had to live by and Im sure there were women who fell into those categories.

However, the vote wasn't just handed to silly headed girl children by overly benevolent men. It was earned, by women, and was a major stepping stone in the larger fight for general equality.

How exactly was it earned?

Women didn't just wake up one morning, turn to their husbands and ask "Please sir, Id like to vote."

They spent their lives struggling against the "Cult of true womanhood". They fought not just for women's right but civil rights, they organized, protested, were jailed, faced countless opposition. Then, when many were proclaiming them to be the downfall for the nation, they turned around and worked where needed at the start of WW1.

Seems kind of silly to debate whether the 19th happened "at the right time".

It took over 20 years of active struggle for women to earn the vote. Sure many felt women didn't deserve it, weren't smart enough to handle it, and didn't have a need to have a say in the laws they had to live by and Im sure there were women who fell into those categories.

However, the vote wasn't just handed to silly headed girl children by overly benevolent men. It was earned, by women, and was a major stepping stone in the larger fight for general equality.

How exactly was it earned?

Women didn't just wake up one morning, turn to their husbands and ask "Please sir, Id like to vote."

They spent their lives struggling against the "Cult of true womanhood".

How?

They fought not just for women's right but civil rights, they organized, protested, were jailed, faced countless opposition. Then, when many were proclaiming them to be the downfall for the nation, they turned around and worked where needed at the start of WW1.

I thought they would have earned it by showing they are just as good as men. That women are capable of doing all the same things men can do. Then women are just as smart, opinionated, hard-working and strong as men. But I guess they did not. Oh I see, by bitching, moaning, complaining and protesting, they have shown that they have 'earned' the right to vote.

I'm waiting for the Ann Coulters wannabes to start the "worst thing the US ever did was give women the vote" rant. :D

The worst thing the country ever did was NOT giving women the right to vote but the right to drive a motor vehicle.

the truth is.., NO ONE has the RIGHT to drive a motor vehicle, it is a privilege it is granted to you by your state of residency.

Isn't it wonderful that you, as a woman, now have the right to stand up and complain that the women who struggled before you, didn't sacrifice the way you would have wanted them to.:)

Other people have died for my right to complain. It's not anyone else's right to give to me, nor is it anyone else's to discard so easily.

How exactly is this a fight for equality if you aren't willing to show how you are equal to your male counterparts? I'm a senior broker at my firm. I didn't get their by complaining to my boss about how I needed the same equal opportunity that my superiors, who were mostly male. I got there by showing I am just capable and competent to reach that level. I would expect any junior brokers under me to behave the same way.

Advocating for opportunities, or rights, doesn't always make things equal. Instead, often times it's made people vulnerable.

[. . .]It took over 20 years of active struggle for women to earn the vote.[. . .]

...and it only took 'em a year to criminalize some of the things that made life a little more bearable for their men.

The womens Prohibition push might have been payback for taking cocaine out of mothers little helper Coca-Cola. But Rockefeller is the real culprit, he got alcohol banned to prevent it from competing with his gasoline.

I refuse to dignify such a ludicrous conspiracy theory with a response, Sir. ;)

Besides, everyone knows Rockefeller saw 'the liberated woman' as more than a means of sculpting a political landscape to a single personal interest; he also saw her as the symbol of several yet-to-be-tapped markets (tax-payer, consumer, impressionable voting block, ETC.). If we're gonna blame the guy, let's not limit the scope of his greed to a single issue.

Anyway, that such a good thing might have come about for reasons other than all of the right ones ...is encouraging.

I'm waiting for the Ann Coulters wannabes to start the "worst thing the US ever did was give women the vote" rant. :D

The worst thing the country ever did was NOT giving women the right to vote but the right to drive a motor vehicle.

the truth is.., NO ONE has the RIGHT to drive a motor vehicle, it is a privilege it is granted to you by your state of residency.

If you want to be technical. Driving is neither a right nor a privilege. I drove on a farm in the summer at 8 years old. Only on public streets is a license required.

The history of which came to the 19th amendment certainly is clouded in ignorance. Sure, today, there would be no reason to keep women from voting AT THIS TIME. However, during that time period, it made perfectly good sense to keep women from voting.

Might have been a good day for America, but bad day for the American electorate.
^^^Thinks she's Ann Coulter.

*cut for length*

All that said, do you think that maybe the addition of the 19th amendment is what allowed women to be as involved in society as they are today? Or do you think it would have come about anyway?

Women were no more involved in society nor had all of the skills and advantages men did during the 1920's than they did during the 1950's or 60's for that matter.

I believe it was when a large number of women started entering the labour force during the second War World is what paved the way. I believe it was the decline of the American standard of living is what enhanced it (which started during the 70's). Before a single income could support an entire family. Today, both men and women have to work to support a family. There are some women who are raising a family on their own.

Many of this increased the woman's role in the American society. It didn't start simply because woman earned the right to vote.

Your argument makes no sense at all. Upon what basis is the right to vote "earned" by "owning property" or "paying poll taxes" -- as opposed to simply being an adult citizen?

Are not citizens who don't own property .......... still citizens? And as such do they not represent a portion of the population?

Just curious --- you're not a US citizen, are you? I'm guessing from your spelling of the word "labour". :)

Last edited:
The history of which came to the 19th amendment certainly is clouded in ignorance. Sure, today, there would be no reason to keep women from voting AT THIS TIME. However, during that time period, it made perfectly good sense to keep women from voting.

Might have been a good day for America, but bad day for the American electorate.
^^^Thinks she's Ann Coulter.

^^^Thinks anyone gives a damn what he thinks.

HAs our political system gotten better or worse since 1919? Remember the support Edwards got from women because he has nice hair? Yeah. Like I said.

Remember the support Bush got from men because he was a guy you could have a beer with?

Or the support Reagan got from men for talking tough about Evil Empires?

Allllllrighty then.

Literacy tests, poll taxes, and property requirements were specifically designed to prevent African Americans and other minorities from voting.

Period.

No, no they weren't. You just made that up.

You don't have the vaguest clue about American history, do you?

This is but one of many many examples of what he's talking about:
Alabama Literacy Test

Perhaps you should read some history before posting on topics on which you're ignorant.

Can you 'splain that for me?

Absolutely. The constitution gives specific rules on how your elected officials would be elected into office. The President was elected by the electoral college. The Senators were elected by the state legislator. The House of Representatives were elected BY THE PEOPLE. Not the men, but people. .

gave

the seventeenth amendment hobbled the states interest

Isn't it wonderful that you, as a woman, now have the right to stand up and complain that the women who struggled before you, didn't sacrifice the way you would have wanted them to.:)

Other people have died for my right to complain. It's not anyone else's right to give to me, nor is it anyone else's to discard so easily.

How exactly is this a fight for equality if you aren't willing to show how you are equal to your male counterparts? I'm a senior broker at my firm. I didn't get their by complaining to my boss about how I needed the same equal opportunity that my superiors, who were mostly male. I got there by showing I am just capable and competent to reach that level. I would expect any junior brokers under me to behave the same way.

Advocating for opportunities, or rights, doesn't always make things equal. Instead, often times it's made people vulnerable.

No , you got there because women before you fought long and hard so that you could get that opportunity

Otherwise, you would be just another secretary fighting off their sexual advances

On the 4th day of June in 1919 ,congress passed the 19th amendment guaranteeing women the right to vote. :)

603079_10151427625181361_9447474_n.jpg

Now if we can just push through the amendment which would keep men from voting....

Forum List

Back