Jeremy Grantham agrees with Paul Krugman on Debt

Procrustes Stretched

Dante's Manifesto
Dec 1, 2008
Jeremy Grantham agrees with Paul Krugman on Debt and so do many other smart people if you phrase things correctly. After all 'debt' is only an accounting term.
The economy is extremely difficult. The debt, in the long run, is not as significant as people think. How you manage debt is an art form. Whether you do it this year or next year, whether you spread these things out, how high is too high – I have not spent my career on those areas.

I feel – I guess – that it's substantially too high. I guess that you shouldn't try to make it low in a hurry, but you should have a 20-year plan to chip away.

We've gotten ourselves into a bit of a rathole, and we should be careful getting out of it, but it is not the overwhelming thing that will dominate our future.

What it does is it distracts us from the real world. Debt is an accounting world. It's paper. The real world is the quantity and quality of your people and the quantity and quality of your capital spending.

Are you building new machines? Are you being inventive? Are you training your people? Is your high school system delivering the same education that it used to relative to the South Koreans and relative to the Norwegians?

No, it's not.

We should worry more about the real world and less about the paper world. And somehow we're in this death grip that only paper things matter. And so there's much too little attention spent on education, training, capital spending – finding a way to beef it up.

And also, I'd rather stimulate the economy directly through government spending than I would like to play games with the monetary system and games with the interest rate, inflicting great wounds on retirees and so on, and transferring wealth to people who won't spend it.

We're transferring wealth from the poor to the rich by keeping interest rates low. I'm not even sure the economy gains at all by a low interest rate, and furthermore, no one has established convincingly that it's a good idea.

It's a tradition that it's a good idea. And that's not the same. We've had lots of traditions, like that the market would look after itself – that people wouldn't be crooks because economic theory assumes that they're not.

But they often were crooks, and greedy, and short-term oriented, and willing to dance until the music stopped – although, as Soros said, the music had actually stopped long before.

Jeremy Grantham's Charlie Rose Preview - Business Insider

Last edited:
even ryan said the tax cuts make balencing our budget easier.

I guess hes a dead man walking to the republican party now

Jeremy Grantham agrees with Paul Krugman on Debt and so do many other smart people if you phrase things correctly. After all 'debt' is only an accounting term.
The economy is extremely difficult. The debt, in the long run, is not as significant as people think. How you manage debt is an art form. Whether you do it this year or next year, whether you spread these things out, how high is too high – I have not spent my career on those areas.

I feel – I guess – that it's substantially too high. I guess that you shouldn't try to make it low in a hurry, but you should have a 20-year plan to chip away.

We've gotten ourselves into a bit of a rathole, and we should be careful getting out of it, but it is not the overwhelming thing that will dominate our future.

What it does is it distracts us from the real world. Debt is an accounting world. It's paper. The real world is the quantity and quality of your people and the quantity and quality of your capital spending.

Are you building new machines? Are you being inventive? Are you training your people? Is your high school system delivering the same education that it used to relative to the South Koreans and relative to the Norwegians?

No, it's not.

We should worry more about the real world and less about the paper world. And somehow we're in this death grip that only paper things matter. And so there's much too little attention spent on education, training, capital spending – finding a way to beef it up.

And also, I'd rather stimulate the economy directly through government spending than I would like to play games with the monetary system and games with the interest rate, inflicting great wounds on retirees and so on, and transferring wealth to people who won't spend it.

We're transferring wealth from the poor to the rich by keeping interest rates low. I'm not even sure the economy gains at all by a low interest rate, and furthermore, no one has established convincingly that it's a good idea.

It's a tradition that it's a good idea. And that's not the same. We've had lots of traditions, like that the market would look after itself – that people wouldn't be crooks because economic theory assumes that they're not.

But they often were crooks, and greedy, and short-term oriented, and willing to dance until the music stopped – although, as Soros said, the music had actually stopped long before.

Personally I love it when people make useless rhetorical statments like "Debt is just an accounting item".

"Sun is just a bulb of gas".

"Water is just molecules."

After the author explains how debt is just an accounting item he conrinuwa to imply how desperately there needs to be more of it... Makes sense. That article is absolute trash, it makes no sense at all. For the record all these monetary things are spent on REAL THINGS. Not imagination. Shocker.

Last edited:
Do you understand how the federal debt does not at all resemble private debt, Norman? Because that understanding is critical.

Do you understand how the federal debt does not at all resemble private debt, Norman? Because that understanding is critical.

well, if you cant pay your private debt men with guns come to take your house away. Not paying debt is like stealing from someone; so naturally its not permitted

If governemnt is in debt the situation is identical. If it can't pay its debt it prints or borrows money, but this too is exactly like stealing money so government debt is, in effect, identical to private debt.

In fact, government stealing is worse and more insidious in some ways in that the people stolen from are not even informed that it is happening to them.

Last edited:

No, it's not.

Personally I love it when people make useless rhetorical statments like "Debt is just an accounting item".

"Sun is just a bulb of gas".

"Water is just molecules."

After the author explains how debt is just an accounting item he conrinuwa to imply how desperately there needs to be more of it... Makes sense. That article is absolute trash, it makes no sense at all. For the record all these monetary things are spent on REAL THINGS. Not imagination. Shocker.

Personally I love it when people take a quote out of context in order to misrepresent something.

not too bright, are you?

Not paying debt is like stealing from someone; so naturally its not permitted

:cuckoo: what world do you live in? Of course not paying debt is permitted. It happens all the time.

Think about it for a moment. Paying back people for something they lent you is a matter of integrity. Not sure what you're trying to promote exactly with this statement...

:cuckoo: what world do you live in? Of course not paying debt is permitted. It happens all the time.

Think about it for a moment. Paying back people for something they lent you is a matter of integrity. Not sure what you're trying to promote exactly with this statement...

Promote? Reality. All debts carry risk. Assumed risks. Sometimes a bet turns out badly.

Promote? Reality. All debts carry risk. Assumed risks. Sometimes a bet turns out badly.

Try telling that to Apple after buying a $1,500 iMac.

When you receive a good or a service from another entity (who used time and resource to provide you with that good or service), it's my opinion that ethically you are obligated to repay that entity under the agreement that was originally outlined.

Debt is REAL and someone always will lose out when you fail to repay. I personally don't like to play the part of the scumbag, and do not want to contribute to the idea that our great nation is nothing more than a bunch of cheapskates.

Last edited:

1) Try telling that to Apple after buying a $1,500 iMac.

2) When you receive a good or a service from another entity (who used time and resource to provide you with that good or service), it's my opinion that ethically you are obligated to repay that entity under the agreement that was originally outlined.

3) Debt is REAL and someone always will lose out when you fail to repay. I personally don't like to play the part of the scumbag, and do not want to contribute to the idea that our great nation is nothing more than a bunch of cheapskates.

1) We can do dueling examples, but it would be boring

2) Ethics are good. They are not and never have been the foundation of most transactions in modern society.

3) Debt can be and often is written off. Debt as we are discussing it is real on paper. "The debt, in the long run, is not as significant as people think. How you manage debt is an art form" - "What it does is it distracts us from the real world. Debt is an accounting world. It's paper. The real world is the quantity and quality of your people and the quantity and quality of your capital spending." - see post #1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Grantham

Last edited:
Jeremy Grantham is a British investor and Co-founder and Chief Investment Strategist of Grantham Mayo Van Otterloo (GMO), a Boston-based asset management firm. GMO is one of the largest managers of such funds in the world, having more than US $97 billion in assets under management as of December 2011. Grantham is regarded as a highly knowledgeable investor in various stock, bond, and commodity markets, and is particularly noted for his prediction of various bubbles.[citation needed] He has been a vocal critic of various governmental responses to the Global Financial Crisis.[1][2] Grantham started one of the world's first index funds in the early 1970s.[3]

In 2011 he was included in the 50 Most Influential ranking of Bloomberg Markets Magazine. Jeremy Grantham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1) Try telling that to Apple after buying a $1,500 iMac.

2) When you receive a good or a service from another entity (who used time and resource to provide you with that good or service), it's my opinion that ethically you are obligated to repay that entity under the agreement that was originally outlined.

3) Debt is REAL and someone always will lose out when you fail to repay. I personally don't like to play the part of the scumbag, and do not want to contribute to the idea that our great nation is nothing more than a bunch of cheapskates.

1) We can do dueling examples, but it would be boring

2) Ethics are good. They are not and never have been the foundation of most transactions in modern society.

3) Debt can be and often is written off. Debt as we are discussing it is real on paper. "The debt, in the long run, is not as significant as people think. How you manage debt is an art form" - "What it does is it distracts us from the real world. Debt is an accounting world. It's paper. The real world is the quantity and quality of your people and the quantity and quality of your capital spending." - see post #1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Grantham

My point is simply that we need to do what we can to pay off our obligations, and that we shouldn't promote the idea that debt isn't real and that it only exists in this imaginary accounting paper world (and can be written off, ect).

You mentioned that debt "distracts us from the real world", but were the things we received in exchange for the debt imaginary?

And, do the folks who exist on the loosing end of the deal (ie China) reside in the real world?

Last edited:

dear, not paying a debt is permitted like murder is permitted but with huge huge consequences. The easiest things are over your head!

We want to avoid the consequences of debt!! Got it now????

This is the point, though. The federal "debt" represents a process whereby the U.S. government, through the Federal Reserve system and the Treasury, issues new money in response to economic growth. The ONLY WAY WE CREATE NEW MONEY IS THROUGH DEBT ISSUANCE.

So, no, it isn't at all necessary to repay it. It is only "debt" in the sense that it money we must pay to ourselves at an indeterminant point in the future--if it is convenient, and if we have nothing better to do.

The ONLY WAY WE CREATE NEW MONEY IS THROUGH DEBT ISSUANCE.

all agree

So, no, it isn't at all necessary to repay it. It is only "debt" in the sense that it money we must pay to ourselves at an indeterminant point in the future--if it is convenient, and if we have nothing better to do.

dear if you don't repay your car loan they take your car away. If the bank makes a lot of loans that are paid back "when it is convenient" the bank goes bankrupt, it is shut down, and owners lose there capital and perhaps their homes.

If the Feds don't pay debt to China or pay back when convenient, China stops lending to us and selling goods in America, depression results. If Feds pay Treasuries bills bonds notes back slowly when it is convenient interest rates go way up, taxes must go way up and recession begins.

A liberal will always be 100% illiterate. Sorry!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back