Jerusalem Isn't the Capital of the Jews

fanger

Gold Member
May 21, 2014
Fuck israel
Once again Jerusalem Day arrived, and once again the prime minister repeated the clichéd mantra: “Jerusalem was and is the capital city of the Jewish people only.”

Is that really so – or is Benjamin Netanyahu, known for historic declarations that do not always accord with the historical truth, once again mistaken and misleading the masses?

Jerusalem, according to scientific research, has existed for about 4,000 years. During the first 1,000 years it had no connection to the Jewish people. Even in the Bible, the Book of Genesis tells about Melchizedek, the king of Salem, who came out to bless Abraham, who had no connection to Jerusalem. During the time of the patriarchs, Jerusalem did not figure in their activity at all. Even when the Israelites were in Egypt, Jerusalem was never mentioned, and when they wandered in the desert they spoke about the Land of Canaan – but not about Jerusalem.

The conquest of “the land” by Joshua, son of Nun, did not include taking over Jerusalem. It was actually the king of Jerusalem who organized the coalition of five monarchs against Joshua, and at the time the city was apparently the capital of another nation, not the Israelites.

The conquest of Jerusalem by the tribe of Judah, following the death of Joshua, led to the burning of the city rather than to settlement of the tribe there. Later on it was inhabited by the Jebusites, and only 1,000 years after its establishment did King David capture the city and turn it into his capital.

The city maintained the status of capital of the Jewish people during the reign of David and his son Solomon, and at the beginning of the reign of his son, Rehoboam. During the latter’s rule, the Israelite kingdom separated from Jerusalem, which became the capital of the small Judean kingdom. It no longer served as capital of the Jewish people as a whole during the entire period of the First Temple.

Four-hundred years after the destruction of the Temple, with the establishment of the Hasmonean state, Jerusalem once again became the capital of the Jewish people, but for only 100 years, until the Romans conquered it and crowned Herod its king. Folllowing the destruction of the Second Temple, Jerusalem once again did not serve as a capital city for the Jews, just as it wasn’t the capital of the Romans, the Byzantines or the Arabs who conquered it. However, in 1099 the Crusaders succeeded in their conquest of it, making it the capital of Crusader Jerusalem, which of course was not Jewish.

read more: Jerusalem isn't the capital of the Jews - Opinion
Interesting

Jerusalem was chosen by King David to be the capital mainly because the city, although part of the territory of the tribe of Benjamin, had not yet been conquered by the Israelites, and was not tied specifically to any of the twelve tribes.

For David, this was of great significance, because this enabled him to conquer the city with royal forces, and, as was customary at the time, retain it as royal property. He could use Jerusalem as the symbol for a united Israel. In order to emphasize the uniqueness and importance of Jerusalem, David brought the Holy Ark of the Covenant there and turned the city into the religious center of the People of Israel. He bought the threshing floor of Aravna the Jebusite and built an altar there to the Lord (Samuel II 24;21-25). Being a warrior, he was not permitted to build the Holy Temple himself. Therefore, he designated Solomon, his son and heir, to build the Temple after his passing.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Archaeology/canaan.html

fanger wrote: Even in the Bible, the Book of Genesis tells about Melchizedek, the king of Salem, who came out to bless Abraham, who had no connection to Jerusalem.

Salem was the name of Jerusalem...

... before the Jebusites came along...

... then they changed the name to Jerusalem.

fanger, et al,

I'm probably wrong here; maybe you can help straighten me out....

Once again Jerusalem Day arrived, and once again the prime minister repeated the clichéd mantra: “Jerusalem was and is the capital city of the Jewish people only.”
(COMMENT)

I thought that (West) Jerusalem was the Capital of Israel, and (East) Jerusalem (less the Old City and No Mans Land) was the declared Capital of the State of Palestine.

The Palestine National Council, in the name of God, and in the name of the Palestinian Arab people, hereby proclaims the establishment of the State of Palestine on our Palestinian territory with its
Capital in Jerusalem (Al-Quds Ash-Sharif)
............................................................................ 15 November 1988 - Palestinian Declaration of Independence
(QUESTIONS)

Is what the Prime Minister incorrect?

Is there actual physical evidence in reality that the Israeli's have established their capital in West Jerusalem?

Help me out here.

Most Respectfully,
R

capital and center of religion since the time of david and solomon (both prophets in Islam, as we Jesus)

In that case, I guess Washington, DC is not the Capital of The US.
In fact, following your logic, no nation today has a Capital.
Glad we straightened that out.

“Jerusalem was and is the capital city of the Jewish people only.” Not true, nor is it true today.

Is that based simply on zionut logic or is it something less retarded?

Israel has declared the whole of Jerusalem the capital of Israel...

Not one embassy exists in Jerusalem, not one country, other than the zionist Israel, accepts Jerusalem the capital of Israel....

That is fact not some made up extremist logic!

You can thank me later for straightening that one out for you ;-)

Not one embassy exists in Jerusalem, not one country, other than the zionist Israel, accepts Jerusalem the capital of Israel....

Let me know if I understand you correctly...
A nation's stance on an issue relies on other nations agreeing with that position.
If so, most of the positions of the US are nothing more than vapor.

Um no. Jerusalem as I recall was the capitol dating back maybe to about 1000BCE. It remained the capitol until after the Roman era and well into the Byzantine. I'm not sure if the Ottomans considered it a capitol, they barely ever even used the term palestine, instead considering the area southern Syria. There is also the issue of a north and south kingdom within Israel proper. however from what I recall the only Reason Jerusalem wasn't declared the capitol of modern day Israel is because the Arabs attack at the time of declaration in may of 48 prevented the fledgling state from access to the city. Leaving them no choice but to compromise and for the time being.

Once again its somewhat disingenuous to claim Jerusalem isn't the capitol simply because the Arab block at the UN ( a decidedly bias organization ) has prevented recognition of it as such.

A nation's stance on an issue relies on other nations agreeing with that position.

It is the status of Jerusalem under international law. The UNSC, including the U.S., does not recognize Israel's claim on Jerusalem.

It is the status of Jerusalem under international law. The UNSC, including the U.S., does not recognize Israel's claim on Jerusalem.

And we all know how many Jews around the world care about that.
Yes, yes, we all know how the Lefty Jews feel...until Israel gets lobbed by rockets and all of a sudden are cheering Israel kicking the crap out of the perpetrators.

Um no. Jerusalem as I recall was the capitol dating back maybe to about 1000BCE. It remained the capitol until after the Roman era and well into the Byzantine. I'm not sure if the Ottomans considered it a capitol, they barely ever even used the term palestine, instead considering the area southern Syria. There is also the issue of a north and south kingdom within Israel proper. however from what I recall the only Reason Jerusalem wasn't declared the capitol of modern day Israel is because the Arabs attack at the time of declaration in may of 48 prevented the fledgling state from access to the city. Leaving them no choice but to compromise and for the time being.

Once again its somewhat disingenuous to claim Jerusalem isn't the capitol simply because the Arab block at the UN ( a decidedly bias organization ) has prevented recognition of it as such.

The capital of Palaestina Prima was Caesarea Maritima, near where today's Tel Aviv and Haifa are located.

Jerusalem was not included in the land of the partition assigned to the Zionists. Jerusalem was to be an international zone.

And we all know how many Jews around the world care about that.
Yes, yes, we all know how the Lefty Jews feel...until Israel gets lobbed by rockets and all of a sudden are cheering Israel kicking the crap out of the perpetrators.

Just facts.

Forum List

Back