John Steinbeck

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
1. "I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be ever'-where - wherever you can look. Wherever there's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad - I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry an' they know supper's ready. An' when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise, and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too."
Steinbeck, “Grapes of Wrath.”

I imagine many other readers would find an author they loved, and read everything they could by same.

Steinbeck was just such a teacher for me.
And his most inspiring, dramatic, and memorable soliloquy was the above, Tom Joad's good-bye to his mother when he knew he had to leave, to spend his life fighting evil, to make America a better place.

2. John Ernst Steinbeck, Jr. (February 27, 1902 – December 20, 1968) was an American writer. He is widely known for the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Grapes of Wrath (1939), East of Eden (1952) and the novella Of Mice and Men (1937). As the author of twenty-seven books, including sixteen novels, six non-fiction books, and five collections of short stories, Steinbeck received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1962.
John Steinbeck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here, from the film:

3. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2JR3FmvVAw]Grapes of Wrath - I'll Be There Speech (Tom Joad) - YouTube[/ame]

I'm bettin' that he and John Dos Passos have lots to talk about.....

Happy Birthday, Mr. Steinbeck

Forum List

Back