Judge Throws 16 oz Cup of Joe in Bloomberg's Face

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Judge strikes down NYC sugary-drinks limit

A New York State judge has halted the controversial New York City ban on large sugary drinks.

The ban was set to take effect Tuesday.

On Sunday, Bloomberg defended the regulation. "We're not banning anything," he said on CBS' Face the Nation.

Um. Yes you are.

Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Milton Tingling wrote that loopholes "effectively defeat the stated purpose."

Bloomberg's office took to Twitter to express its disappointment in the decision.

Waaaaaah! I wanna be a nanny!

The decision came just one day before the rule was to go into effect. Soft drink sellers across the city had taken different approaches. Some businesses bought smaller cups. Others planned to ask customers to sweeten or flavor beverages themselves.

Java giant Starbucks was taking a wait-and-see approach, planning to use the 90-day grace period that the city would have allowed to evaluate its offerings.

"I'm relieved," said Russell Levinson, general manager of Movieworld in Queens, who had also planned to wait out the 90-day grace period before making any changes. The proposed ban would have eliminated four of the five soft drink sizes he offers. He had been considering new combo deals in which a patron could buy two 16-ounce soft drinks.

The ban wouldn't affect beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores, and Levinson said that made it "terribly unfair" to the businesses that were covered.

Gary Bennett, a psychologist and scholar of obesity at Duke University, said, "It's unlikely the beverage ban would have been effective. The rules, particularly for things like coffee drinks, were overly complicated for consumers and retailers. A host of other policy strategies -- particularly a sugar-sweetened beverage tax -- have greater potential to reduce the overconsumption of sugar-sweetened beverages."

Such taxes are called, humorously enough, Pigovian taxes. :lol:

tictoc25n-1-copy.jpg

Come on we liberals know what's right for the people, fvck the judge. Now let's get back to work and find other things we can ban...

NY Mayor Fumes As Judge Blocks Ban on Mega Sodas - ABC News

I figured this would be struck down, at least temporarily. It will be interesting to see how this goes as the case moves forward. The unfortunate thing is that so many people are trying to make positive changes in people's eating habits by forcing stupid rules on them, when they could instead force smart rules on people that almost everyone would support, and that would actually have much more of a positive effect toward achieving their end goal. Here's an idea; how about requiring one full period per day of gym class for all students grades one through twelve during the entire school year.

While many fat kids just eat way too much, the truth is that highly active school age kids usually will eat much more than fat kids. For many people, it's not so much the number of calories consumed as it is the number of calories burned off. When I was in high school, I was consuming around 6000 calories per day. I would eat a decent breakfast, then at school, I ate three full lunches. After school, it was a couple of sandwiches, then a full dinner with second and many times third helpings, and to finish off my night, a few hot dogs or sandwiches before going to bed at night. Now, to be fair, I ran cross country and track. I ran a 4:32 mile my sophomore year before getting an injury that led me to quit running. Anyway, my weight at the time was 115 lbs.

Bottom line is that while it is important to teach people the importance of eating healthy, the lack of physical activity is a much bigger problem, imo. My kids are in great shape, and they are active. Their friends are in great shape, but they hang with kids that are active. As for me, I quit smoking after 30 years, and I'm running again. I'm back to running 20 miles per week or more. I'm eating more and my weight is down. Exercise is the key.

Forum List

Back