Justify: Why do we have such a massive military?

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Ok. Many have said we need to have the tough talks about budget. Alright. Lets begin.

Military. Why do we have/need the biggest military, by far, in the world? Questions:

1- Our neighbors are Mexico and Canada. We are surrounded by vast oceans. We have one of the most easily defensable plots of land in the world. In fact, we barely have a legit threat in the entire hemisphere.

2- Are we the World Police? I know people argue that we are. WHY? Why us? Why not slash all that spending and downsize. Let the world police itself.

So, either we are the World Police, and we are OK with our tax money being spent to police the rest of the world....or we need to seriously downsize. We dont have an immediate threat anywhere in the hemisphere. Even if we slashed our military with massive cuts, we'd still be unmatched by any other nation.

Entitlements can be the next talk. The next thread. THIS thread is on this topic. So.....from righties and lefties...what is the justification for this massive military? We need to JUSTIFY ever tax dollar spent. Its the fiscally responsible thing to do. Justify it.

Last edited:
Looks to me that defense can be pruned to $800b or $700b very simply.

InflationAdjustedDefenseSpending.PNG

Last edited:
The only difference between the men and the boys is the size of their toys. We have a large military because we like to blow large stuff up.

So, either we are the World Police, and we are OK with our tax money being spent to police the rest of the world....or we need to seriously downsize.

I would argue those are not the only alternatives. As a libertarian, I often stand against military interventionism that, in my opinion, should not be our concern and too often ends up causing more harm than good. That said, I absolutely believe we should have the biggest, baddest military the world has ever known, which we do. So, rather than "downsize", how about we re-align our military to, you know, protect OUR borders, rid the oceans of piracy, and ensure nobody tries to mess with us?

Would that mean we spend less on the military? Probably, but I don't think that should be the starting point for the discussion. What our military does is more important than what it costs.

It is reasonable to point out I think that if the federal government lived within the confines of the enumerated powers, we'd have PLENTY of money for our current level of military spending...though I'd still argue we're too quick to intervene the affairs of other nations.

America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own.

John Q Adams

You've never seen a massive military.

You ever wonder why our defense budget is for one that is?

We have not had a defense budget like this since WWII. And the last I checked, we are not in a world war and do not have anywhere near the same commitments as we did in WWII.

So we won't have another 911?

We had a huge military before the first 2 9-11's. That didnt prevent it.

Im very pro-military. The men and women in it are heroes.

But, if we are having a hard discussion, it must be asked. Do we NEED all this military spending? The answer, imo, is no. We could defend this plot of land just fine with 50% of what we have now. We'd no longer be in Germany, or Japan, or Korea, or Australia, or many of the other places we have bases. Would we survive? Sure would.

So, we gotta ask:

- Are we the World Police? Are we ok with 18% of all our tax dollars funding the policing of the rest of the world?
- Should we massively downsize, and simply defend the homeland?

We need to figure out what role our military plays in the world. Anything short of "World Police" would lead a reasonable person to see that we spend WAY TOO MUCH on military.

So we won't have another 911?

Bingo.

This is exactly the fear behind our current level of spending.

No one wants to be the guy who cut the size of the DHS or DoD right before the next terrorist attack. That's why not even Obama broaches the subject of cuts to defense. That's why even Obama talks about beefing up Homeland security.

Another terrorist attack is inevitable, and you can count on the rabid righties blaming every politician who had the balls to cut this ridiculous, ridiculous intelligence/defense spending.

Talk about job security!

Last edited:
So, either we are the World Police, and we are OK with our tax money being spent to police the rest of the world....or we need to seriously downsize.

I would argue those are not the only alternatives. As a libertarian, I often stand against military interventionism that, in my opinion, should not be our concern and too often ends up causing more harm than good. That said, I absolutely believe we should have the biggest, baddest military the world has ever known, which we do. So, rather than "downsize", how about we re-align our military to, you know, protect OUR borders, rid the oceans of piracy, and ensure nobody tries to mess with us?

Would that mean we spend less on the military? Probably, but I don't think that should be the starting point for the discussion. What our military does is more important than what it costs.

It is reasonable to point out I think that if the federal government lived within the confines of the enumerated powers, we'd have PLENTY of money for our current level of military spending...though I'd still argue we're too quick to intervene the affairs of other nations.

America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own.

John Q Adams

100% agree. Defend our homeland. Redefine the role of our military. Sure, we'd keep our alliances (NATO, UN, etc). And honor them. But when NATO goes to war, we'd have less of our boys to send 'em.

Right now, places like Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Australia, etc, etc, can do FAR more for their own people (like healthcare) because we are outsourcing military power to them. They dont need to spend on defense, because we do it for them.

We are providing "military welfare" to the rest of the world.

I gotta credit right wingers. I specified that THIS thread is not for talking about slashing entitlements, its only about talking about if we should slash defense. And they've been silent. Thanks for abiding by my wishes.

I went out in the yard and fired a couple of bottle rockets over the fence at my neighbor, does that count?

The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming!

We had a much greater existential threat during the Cold War than we do today. Much greater. And yet our defense budget during the entire Cold War, including during Korea and Vietnam and the Reagan buildup didn't even approach the defense budget we have today, not even after adjusted for inflation.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Adjusted to 2005 dollars:

9k8orm.png

Last edited:
I'm fine with cutting the defense budget....
But then everything else takes a hit as well.

Right Libs.It's all about everybody paying their "fair share"...

We could reduce our military profile in the world with a simple warning to all our enemies that if they fuck with us or harbor those who would fuck with us we will blow them off the face of the earth...and then demonstrate that resolve at first opportunity. No Korea and Iran come to mind. Bring our troops home to the Conus...update our technology...warn...then strike and annihilate as the need arises. Maybe John Kerry will recommend this policy.

Forum List

Back