Krugman rips von Mises up one side & down the other

Dear, the New Deal was the Great Depression was the Great Depression that led to 60 million dead in WW2. Depression and world war are not good. Do you understand.

Hey pea brain. Black Tuesday and the market crash PRECEDED and LED to the New Deal. And WWII was the manifestation of the onerous restrictions placed on Germany by the Treaty of Versailles.

Dispatching rw economists in his spare time: :up: like shootin' fish in a barrell :cool:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/20...Opinion&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body

Ludwig von Mises - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Economic historian Bruce Caldwell writes that in the mid-20th century, with the ascendance of positivism and Keynesianism, Mises came to be regarded by many as the "archetypal 'unscientific' economist." In a 1957 review of his book The Anti-Capitalistic Mentality, The Economist said of von Mises: "Professor von Mises has a splendid analytical mind and an admirable passion for liberty; but as a student of human nature he is worse than null and as a debater he is of Hyde Park standard." Conservative commentator Whittaker Chambers published a similarly negative review of that book in the National Review, stating that Mises's thesis that anti-capitalist sentiment was rooted in "envy" epitomized "know-nothing conservatism" at its "know-nothingest."

Whittaker Chambers also dispatched Ayn Rand's scrivenings as well :laugh:

Libertarianism and Objectivism was so 1995 for me. I was a senior in high school, I got a copy of Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead from my school library. They were marginally decent works of fiction. As an econ and finance major, we did cover von Mises, Rothbard, von Hayek and other heterodox thinkers, which sort of helps econ undergraduates with formulating concepts. The problem with the Austrian Scool, besides the problems inherent with their ideas about the natural rate of interest and the business cycle, is that we're no longer on a gold standard. It's like giving someone an Atari manual to run a Playstation 4.

The problem with the Austrian school, and libertarian ideology, is that it doesn't support government control of the economy, something modern statists won't be without.

Dispatching rw economists in his spare time: :up: like shootin' fish in a barrell :cool:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/20...Opinion&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body

Libertarianism and Objectivism was so 1995 for me. I was a senior in high school, I got a copy of Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead from my school library. They were marginally decent works of fiction. As an econ and finance major, we did cover von Mises, Rothbard, von Hayek and other heterodox thinkers, which sort of helps econ undergraduates with formulating concepts. The problem with the Austrian Scool, besides the problems inherent with their ideas about the natural rate of interest and the business cycle, is that we're no longer on a gold standard. It's like giving someone an Atari manual to run a Playstation 4.

The problem with the Austrian school, and libertarian ideology, is that it doesn't support government control of the economy, something modern statists won't be without.

Many of them support the gold standard which is a form of government subsidy.

. Black Tuesday and the market crash PRECEDED and LED to the New Deal.

yes and the New Deal interference prolonged the Great Depression 10 years into world war!
Yet it is what liberals are most proud of?? See why we are positive liberalism is based in pure ignorance?

Economic historian Bruce Caldwell writes that in the mid-20th century, with the ascendance of positivism and Keynesianism, Mises came to be regarded by many as the "archetypal 'unscientific' economist." In a 1957 review of his book The Anti-Capitalistic Mentality, The Economist said of von Mises: "Professor von Mises has a splendid analytical mind and an admirable passion for liberty; but as a student of human nature he is worse than null and as a debater he is of Hyde Park standard." Conservative commentator Whittaker Chambers published a similarly negative review of that book in the National Review, stating that Mises's thesis that anti-capitalist sentiment was rooted in "envy" epitomized "know-nothing conservatism" at its "know-nothingest."

of course that's not really true. When Ron Paul asked Bernanke why we don't switch to a gold standard he said, " we run the Fed as if we on a gold standard." THe objective is to get out of the way so the free market can work. A recession is the time it takes the free market to recover from liberal interference. Bernanke knows this.

New Deal was huge success??

a liberal will be so illiterate as to not know that the New Deal was the Great Depression.

One of the resident pea brains chimes in. Please continue to parrot what faux news and your handlers feed you.

FDR was elected by WE, the PEOPLE 4 TIMES...but all of America is just stupid, and the parrots know best...

Actually, FDR didn't spend enough when we look at the Depression in the aggregate.

yes, if only he had spent and taxed more he could have shrunk the private sector to soviet size!!

godbless :eusa_pray: Krugman (the Nobel Prize winner in economics :cool: ) is all I can say [MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION]

The "Krugman kicks so-and-so's ass" threads are making him sound like a pro-wrestler.

Who am I kidding? Krugman's blog makes him sound like a pro-wrestler. Let's see him go head-to-head with Jesse Ventura!

The "Krugman kicks so-and-so's ass" threads are making him sound like a pro-wrestler.

Who am I kidding? Krugman's blog makes him sound like a pro-wrestler. Let's see him go head-to-head with Jesse Ventura!

That's what economics has devolved into. It used be called political economy at one point for a reason.

I lost a tremendous amount of respect for Krugman as a shill for neoliberalism, although he's openly backed away from openly shilling for such policies.

I also didn't like his quasi-meltdown when he was challenged on his NYT blog by Prof. Steve Keen, a brilliant economist out of Australia.

*By neoliberalism, I mean the ACA, the citizen as perpetual consumer, all privatized, where we all log into our accounts and manage our lives. :)

Last edited:
godbless :eusa_pray: Krugman (the Nobel Prize winner in economics :cool: ) is all I can say @CrusaderFrank
My Nobel Prize laureate in Economics kicks your Nobel Prize winner's ass...

113px-Friedrich_Hayek_portrait.jpg

Friedrich Hayek

Last edited:

And that is why it is denigrated by the elite Left and the many fools who believe whatever the elite Left tells them.

The modern statist is the enemy of individual liberty and the advocate for a vast state controlled society, which all of human history tells us is most harmful for all, but a small elite.

Why Austrian economics, in this case- von Mises, isn't taken seriously:

Ludwig von Mises - RationalWiki
Mises' greatest work is generally considered (among his followers, at least) to be the gargantuan doorstopper called Human Action, which fully codifies the method of praxeology. Unfortunately for Mises, it was pseudoscientific upon arrival in 1949 and is even more pseudoscientific in light of current knowledge.

I have lots more where that came from & will periodically update this thread :cool:

Nothing times "lots more" is still nothing.

IOW...you have nothing asshole.

This little quote is nothing more than the opinion of a left wing moron.

godbless :eusa_pray: Krugman (the Nobel Prize winner in economics :cool: ) is all I can say [MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION]

Yes, licking Krugman's dick is about all you're capable of doing. Heaven forbid you ever take on an argument of your own.

Still looking to have you meet me in the Bull ring. Maybe this would be a good topic.

What do you say ?

welcher (deadbeats) are not welcome on my thread :gtfo:

Go fuck yourself.

He can't see this because you're on his ignore list. Unless someone quotes it. :evil:

Thanks for getting the word out.

Dottie is nothing but a loud mouth chickenshit libfool.

I challenged him to meet me in the Bull Ring a while back and that's when I went on ignore.

Like I care what the slimewad has to say. :lol::lol:

Actually, FDR didn't spend enough when we look at the Depression in the aggregate.

What is your opinion of the UCLA economists' paper about how FDR's policies extended the Depression?

People once believes the world is flat. We still have 'flat earthers'. They are call themselves 'conservative'

The right-wing New Deal conniption fit

For the editors of the Wall Street Journal, the spectacle of a major government spending program aimed at combating a severe recession is evidently a nightmare beyond belief, complete with a popular interventionist-leaning president, Democratic majorities in both the Senate and the House, and, scariest of all, a legion of zombie back-from-the-dead Keynesian economist holy warriors. How else to explain the paper’s increasingly shrill declarations that the New Deal absolutely, positively did not work?

The latest salvo came Monday morning in a piece by two economists, Harold L. Cole and Lee. E. Ohanian: “How Government Prolonged the Depression.”

Defenders of the New Deal will find much to argue with in Cole and Ohanion’s account, but for simplicity’s sake, I am going to zero in on just one point — the impact of the New Deal on unemployment.

Cole and Ohanian:

The goal of the New Deal was to get Americans back to work. But the New Deal didn’t restore employment. In fact, there was even less work on average during the New Deal than before FDR took office.

How can one make this claim? Unemployment reached 25 percent in the Great Depression, and fell steadily until World War II (although there were some bumps up along the way). Ah, but the revisionist position is that unemployment did not fall as much as it should have. And this argument is based on an interesting interpretation of the available data. As Amity Shlaes, currently the premier anti-New Deal historical revisionist writing for a popular audience, explained proudly in her own Wall Street Journal opinion piece in November, “The Krugman Recipe for Depression,” a necessary step is to not count as employed those people in “temporary jobs in emergency programs.”

That means, everyone who got a job during the Great Depression via the Works Progress Administration (WPA) or Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), or any other of Roosevelt’s popular New Deal workfare programs, doesn’t get counted as employed in the statistics used by Cole, Ohanian and Shlaes.

Let us reflect, for a moment, on what the men and women employed by those programs achieved (aside from earning cash to buy food and pay for shelter, of course). In his paper, “Time for a New, New Deal,” Marshall Auerback (pointed to by economist James Galbraith) summarizes:

The government hired about 60 per cent of the unemployed in public works and conservation projects that planted a billion trees, saved the whooping crane, modernized rural America, and built such diverse projects as the Cathedral of Learning in Pittsburgh, the Montana state capitol, much of the Chicago lakefront, New York’s Lincoln Tunnel and Triborough Bridge complex, the Tennessee Valley Authority and the aircraft carriers Enterprise and Yorktown.

It also built or renovated 2,500 hospitals, 45,000 schools, 13,000 parks and playgrounds, 7,800 bridges, 700,000 miles of roads, and a thousand airfields. And it employed 50,000 teachers, rebuilt the country’s entire rural school system, and hired 3,000 writers, musicians, sculptors and painters, including Willem de Kooning and Jackson Pollock.

In other words, millions of men and women earned a living wage and self-respect and contributed mightily to the national infrastructure. But, according to the statistics as interpreted on the Wall Street Journal editorial page, they were unemployed.

Forum List

Back