Latest casualty in War on Cops

Yes. But let's consider this. The people have a right to assemble and they did so. It started to get out of hand. The police ordered the people to disperse. Again fine so far. Yet the cop hosed down the guy walking by, walking away with pepper spray. I can sort of understand hosing people who aren't leaving with pepper spray. I wouldn't raise a fuss about it. I can even see using tear gas to encourage the reluctant folks to go ahead and leave.

But when the people are leaving to hose the guy walking by talking on the phone is inexcusable.

She suffered no punishment. The liberals in charge of the city didn't even look stern as they told her not to do it again.
It is very difficult to discipline or prosecute a cop.

Even an abusive one.

Yes. But let's consider this. The people have a right to assemble and they did so. It started to get out of hand. The police ordered the people to disperse. Again fine so far. Yet the cop hosed down the guy walking by, walking away with pepper spray. I can sort of understand hosing people who aren't leaving with pepper spray. I wouldn't raise a fuss about it. I can even see using tear gas to encourage the reluctant folks to go ahead and leave.

But when the people are leaving to hose the guy walking by talking on the phone is inexcusable.

She suffered no punishment. The liberals in charge of the city didn't even look stern as they told her not to do it again.
It is very difficult to discipline or prosecute a cop.

Even an abusive one.

If there was a war on cops as postulated through this thread then you would think that the abuses would be punished severely by the liberals are in charge.

This is just one of the ways that LEOs face the chance of being shot or killed.. Law and Order has been slowly degrading over many years. The training has degraded in to Progressive theory that puts the LEO in to a dangerous conditions that he has no training to handle. I like taking a kid from the farm and shipping him to China to fight in a war helping China. The training that to days LEOs get is in theory not practicable. If the LEO goes to college he gets a heavy dose of Progressive courses from the left and very few classes in practicable methods that he can use and may save his life. Criminals act, fast, stealthy and deadly.
The crime rate rises and falls.

Currently it has been falling a bit.

But budgets have fallen dramatically lately and therefore cops roll onto scenes alone more often these days and that's why they get killed a lot -- no backups.

I missed this earlier. I'm sorry it took so long to get to it.

In short. Baloney.

In The Post-Ferguson World, Cops Are Now Victims And It's The Public That's Going To Pay The Price

IMG_1085.PNG

Thirty years ago it was far more dangerous to be a cop. A century ago it was more dangerous still. It is safer to be a cop than many other jobs.

More cops aren't dying. It is the propaganda that hopes to fool you into believing it's more dangerous.

This is just one of the ways that LEOs face the chance of being shot or killed.. Law and Order has been slowly degrading over many years. The training has degraded in to Progressive theory that puts the LEO in to a dangerous conditions that he has no training to handle. I like taking a kid from the farm and shipping him to China to fight in a war helping China. The training that to days LEOs get is in theory not practicable. If the LEO goes to college he gets a heavy dose of Progressive courses from the left and very few classes in practicable methods that he can use and may save his life. Criminals act, fast, stealthy and deadly.

But budgets have fallen dramatically lately and therefore cops roll onto scenes alone more often these days and that's why they get killed a lot -- no backups.

In short. Baloney.

In The Post-Ferguson World, Cops Are Now Victims And It's The Public That's Going To Pay The Price

View attachment 126738

Thirty years ago it was far more dangerous to be a cop. A century ago it was more dangerous still. It is safer to be a cop than many other jobs.

More cops aren't dying. It is the propaganda that hopes to fool you into believing it's more dangerous.
Nope wrong, I have walked the walk and there are more police shootings, of police, and more of the suspects. Work for many years and the only one that was shot was a jailer who shot himself in the leg. Death was more noted in vehicle accidents ..Shootings not ending in death are not reported by the media most of the time. I don't think Progressive propaganda is in play

In short. Baloney.

View attachment 126738

Nope wrong, I have walked the walk and there are more police shootings, of police, and more of the suspects. Work for many years and the only one that was shot was a jailer who shot himself in the leg. Death was more noted in vehicle accidents ..Shootings not ending in death are not reported by the media most of the time. I don't think Progressive propaganda is in play

Yeah. You know and have proof that nobody else can see. I just have to take your word for it.

In fact. Your personal knowledge is so secret that even the Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn't know about it.

Police Officers Factsheet

IMG_1086.JPG

How is it that nobody seems to know about this extreme increase in injuries and deaths?

I mean there should be some record other than the lame assed parental because I said so.

The Donald honorin' fallen officers...
thumbsup.gif

Fallen Honored at Peace Officers' Memorial
May 15, 2017 - The 36th Annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service is being held on the West Front of the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C. Monday.
The 36th Annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service is being held on the West Front of the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C. Monday morning.

memorial.5919c32ed5e6f.jpg

President Trump and Vice President Pence are set to give remarks during the annual memorial service, which begins at 11 a.m. and lasts about two hours.

A Wreath Laying Ceremony will be held immediately following the Memorial Service.

Fallen Honored at 36th Annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service

See also:

President Trump to Light White House Blue to Honor Fallen Officers
May 15, 2017 - President Donald Trump announced at a proclamation signing that he'll light the White House blue to honor fallen law enforcement officers as part of Officer Memorial Day Monday.
President Donald Trump announced at a proclamation signing that he'll light the White House blue to honor fallen law enforcement officers as part of Officer Memorial Day Monday night.

whitehouseblue.5919f629a5e60.jpg

President Trump previously lit the White House blue in recognition of World Autism Awareness Day in April.​

During the signing, Trump also said he will request that American flags fly at half-mast to memorialize fallen officers, according to The Hill. "During Peace Officers Memorial Day and Police Week, we honor the men and women of law enforcement who have been killed or disabled in the course of serving our communities. Police officers are the thin blue line whose sacrifices protect and serve us every day, and we pledge to support them as they risk their lives to safeguard ours," Trump said in a statement.

Out of the 118 officers who died on duty last year, 66 were "victims of malicious attacks," which represents an increase of almost 40 percent from the previous year. Trump previously lit the White House blue in recognition of World Autism Awareness Day in April.

President Trump to Light White House Blue to Honor Fallen Officers

Related:

AG Sessions Pledges Redoubled War on Drugs
May 12, 2017 - Attorney General Jeff Sessions is promising to renew the federal government’s war on drugs, saying tough new sentencing policies are necessary to combat what he described as a surge of violent crime in cities.
The Justice Department on Friday released a memo from Sessions ordering federal prosecutors to pursue the highest charges possible, including those that carry mandatory minimum sentences, for drug offenders. “If you are a drug trafficker, we will not look the other way,” Sessions said Friday at the Justice Department. “We will not be willfully blind to your conduct.” Sessions is ending Obama administration policies that told federal prosecutors to avoid charging low-level offenders with crimes that carry heavy mandatory sentences.

The new Justice Department policy was met with fierce criticism from sentencing advocates, some former federal prosecutors and even some Republicans in Congress who have been pursuing sentencing-reform measures. “To be tough on crime we have to be smart on crime,” tweeted Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah). “That is why criminal justice reform is a conservative issue.”

Violent crime has increased over the last two years in many of the nation’s cities, though it is still far below rates in the 1990s. Overall, according to the FBI, the nation’s crime rate fell 50 percent between 1993 and 2015. Sessions said the crackdown was “a key part of President Trump’s promise to keep America safe,” linking drug trafficking to increased homicide rates in some cities. “Drug trafficking is an inherently violent business,” he said. “If you want to collect a drug debt, you can’t file a lawsuit in court. You collect it by the barrel of a gun.”

He said heroin is cheaper, more pure and more easily available than ever. Advocates of justice reform say that the nation’s opioid crisis is evidence that tough policies of the past have failed. But Sessions said that tougher enforcement could “reverse that trend.” “So we are returning to the enforcement of the law as passed by Congress – plain and simple,” he said.

Attorney General Pledges Redoubled War on Drugs | Officer.com

Anthony Califano, an ironworker and father of a family friend, was crushed to death while working on construction of the Verazanno Narrows Bridge in 1961. When we arrived at Greenwood cemetery there were dozens of police cars parked outside the fence and a uniformed cop stopped us at the entrance and told us there was no room to park inside because of "the ceremony."

The ceremony was for a New York City cop who was killed when his car went out of control while chasing a speeder on the FDR Drive. There must have been a hundred uniformed cops in military formation, along with dozens more in civilian clothes, and when the ceremony ended there was a military salute with eight Springfield rifles firing three rounds each. The ceremony ended with a bagpipe playing Amazing Grace as the military formation marched out. It was extremely impressive.

Standing around Anthony Califano's grave as he was lowered into it were about twenty people; family, friends, and two members of his union. There was no firearm salute, no bagpipe, no military formation. It didn't occur to me at the time that Anthony, like the deceased cop, was killed while serving the public -- unless one believes that constructing the Verazanno Bridge was not an important public service.

That cop wasn't killed while performing heroically on the Sands of Iwo Jima. And it didn't happen during a shoot-out with dangerous desperadoes. Like Anthony Califano, his death was purely accidental.

Something to think about.

More cop killings...
eek.gif

Montana Deputy Fatally Shot During Pursuit
May 16, 2017 - Broadwater County Deputy Mason Moore was fatally shot while pursuing a vehicle along U.S. Highway 287 near Three Forks early Tuesday.
A Broadwater County, Montana Sheriff's deputy was fatally shot while pursuing a vehicle on a highway early Tuesday morning. Deputy Mason Moore was involved in the pursuit along U.S. Highway 287 near Three Forks around 3 a.m. when the shooting occurred, according to The Bozeman Daily Chronicle.

Gallatin County Sheriff Brian Gootkin said that local law enforcement and the Montana Highway patrol responded after the deputy lost contact with dispatchers and found the three-year veteran of the force dead on the side of the road. "This is a tremendously sad day for all of us here in Broadwater County," Broadwater County Sheriff Wynn Meehan told reporters. "It's difficult to adequately describe how devastating it feels to lose one of our own in the line of duty. Our deputy died protecting the citizens of our county and displayed remarkable courage until the very end. His actions will never be forgotten."

montlodd.591b6a4f970f8.jpg

Deputy Mason Moore​

The deputy's patrol car was found in a ditch and its dashboard camera video was used to identify the vehicle being pursued. The SUV was later located in Butte-Silver Bow County near Anaconda, and a pursuit began that ended about 35 miles east of Missoula after the vehicle's tires were flattened by spike strips.

The passenger in the SUV, identified as 39-year-old Marshall Barrus, got out and began shooting at officers and was shot by officers before being taken to a hospital. The driver, identified as the gunman's father, 61-year-old Lloyd Montier Barrus, was taken into custody without further incident. The incident is currently under investigation.

Montana Sheriff's Deputy Fatally Shot During Pursuit | Officer.com

See also:

Ohio Chief, Two Others Killed; Suspect Dead
May 12, 2017 - Kirkersville Police Chief Steven Disario was shot and killed along with two other people in a shooting at a nursing home Friday morning.
The chief of the Kirkersville Police Department was killed in a shooting Friday morning. Three other people, including the shooter, are dead. The chief responded to a report of a man with a gun at the Pine Kirk nursing home at 7:50 a.m. in downtown Kirkersville in western Licking County. He was shot after he entered the nursing home. When authorities entered the nursing home, they found three other people dead. Two victims were employees of the nursing home, and authorities believe the person was the shooter, Licking County Sheriff Randy Thorp said. Chief Steven Disario, 38, had only been police chief about three weeks, Thorp said.

In the last communication authorities received from the chief, he said he had the shooter in sight. Thorp said he assumes Disario had engaged the suspect. Debbie Messer, who lives on E. Main Street, said she heard at least one gunshot. After that, her five dogs “went crazy,” making it difficult to know if there were more fired. “I was in my driveway,” she said. “My neighbor told me that someone had shot a police officer and to go inside and lock my doors and call 911, and that’s what I did.” Messer said others apparently called, too.

ohiochiefkilled.5915f3d982868.jpg

Ohio Chief, Two Others Killed; Suspect Dead​

She said she didn’t see the officer. “This is a really small town and everybody knows everybody,” she said. “These things don’t happen here.” Chris Roush also lives on E. Main Street near the nursing home. About 7:30 a.m. he was getting his kids ready for school when he heard a shot. “There’s a lot of hunting in this area, so I didn’t think much of it,” he said.Shortly afterward, however, police cruisers started swarming the area and police were walking around with shotguns and automatic weapons looking for a suspect.

The family stayed in the house and followed the news. About 10 a.m., word came that the threat had ended. But shortly after 11 a.m., the road in front of Roush’s house was still closed. “I think at this point, we’re going to keep (the kids) at home today,” Roush said. He said they were never ordered to stay inside, but they did “out of respect” for the situation. Pine Kirk Care Center is a 24-bed facility in a converted residential residence, said Peter Van Runkle, executive director of the Ohio Health Care Association, a nursing-home industry group.

MORE

Ohio Police Chief was ambushed...
eek.gif

Details Released in Slaying of Ohio Police Chief
May 17, 2017 - When Kirkersville Police Chief Steven Eric DiSario pulled into an alley behind the Pine Kirk Care Center on Friday morning, he was killed by a shotgun blast immediately after exiting his cruiser.
The Licking County coroner's office released its initial findings Monday in the deaths of DiSario, two female employees and the gunman which occurred at the Kirkersville nursing home. Toxicology results will come back in 8 to 10 weeks. Thomas Hartless, 43, of Utica, identified as the gunman, used the shotgun and a handgun to kill his girlfriend, Marlina Medrano, 46, a nurse who was in the nursing office at Pine Kirk Care Center. Medrano died from multiple gunshot wounds, the coroner's office said. The third victim, Cindy Jean Krantz, 48, a nurse aide, died from a close range shotgun wound in a nursing home hallway.

The gunman, Hartless, was found dead in the nursing office from a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head, the coroner's office said. The incident started at 7:50 a.m. Friday with a 911 call about an armed man, later identified as Hartless, holding two passersby as hostages behind the Kirkersville nursing home. DiSario was the first law enforcement officer to respond, and in his last radio transmission he said he had the suspect in sight. The village's part-time police chief had only been working for the department for a month and had only been chief for three weeks.

ohiochief.591ca34b05bda.jpg

Police Chief Steven Eric DiSario​

The hostages escaped unharmed after Hartless shot DiSario, authorities said. Hartless then went into the nursing home and shot Krantz and Medrano before killing himself. Hartless' car was later found at the Flying J off I-70 and Route 158 just over a mile from the nursing home. Hartless had a history of violence against Medrano, who had obtained three prior court protection orders against him this year. Funeral arrangements for DiSario have been set for 10 a.m. Saturday at the Grove City Church of the Nazarene, 4770 Hoover Road. Calling hours are set for 4 to 8 p.m. Friday at the church. Schoedinger Funeral Home is handling arrangements.

Krantz's funeral will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Vineyard Christian Church of Pataskala at 9286 York Road. The Hoskinson Funeral and Cremation Service in Kirkersville is in charge of funeral arrangements. Calling hours for Medrano will be 3 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the Reed-Egan Funeral Home, 141 Green Wave Dr., Newark, Ohio. Medrano's funeral service will be private.

Details Released in Slaying of Ohio Police Chief | Officer.com

Border Patrol Agent dies of stab wounds...
eek.gif

Border Patrol Agent Dies After Being Stabbed
May 25, 2017 - U.S. Border Patrol Agent Isaac Morales died at a hospital Wednesday after being stabbed during an assault while he was off-duty over the weekend.
A U.S. Border Patrol agent died at a hospital Wednesday after being stabbed during an assault while he was off-duty during the weekend, El Paso police officials said. Border Patrol Agent Isaac Morales, 30, was fatally wounded when he was stabbed several times in a confrontation in the parking lot of The Union Draft House on Tierra Este Road next to Zaragoza Road, police said.

Morales was "a kind, big hearted person who has the ability to light up any room with just his smile. Isaac has impacted many people, who can all attest to what an amazing person he is," states an online GoFundMe account set up when he was hospitalized. Hisaias Justo Lopez, 39, who was initially arrested on a charge of attempted murder, will now face a murder charge, police said. Lopez is being held at the El Paso County Jail on a $500,000 bond.

borderagentdies.5926ca922c581.jpg

Border Patrol Agent Isaac Morales​

Shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday, Morales, his girlfriend and another couple were walking to their cars when Lopez began an unprovoked confrontation in the bar parking lot, police said. After Morales identified himself as a Border Patrol agent, Lopez allegedly attacked him with a knife and then ran. Morales, a friend and witnesses ran after Lopez, who during the chase allegedly turned around and stabbed Morales in the face and an eye, police said.

RELATED:

Off-duty border patrol agent stabbed in eye near bar. Border Patrol agent stabbed during chase. GoFundMe for Border Patrol Agent Isaac Morales The others then caught Lopez a block away and held him for police. Morales' death comes a day before the annual Border Patrol memorial service at 9 a.m. Thursday at the National Border Patrol Museum, 4315 Trans Mountain Road.

Border Patrol Agent Dies After Being Stabbed | Officer.com

In short. Baloney.

View attachment 126738

Not only this but also anyone in any kind of uniform is at risk again, like back in the daze of the Viet Nam War.

I just completely my annual requalification for armed security and they (the instructors) warned us about this.

I prefer to be plain clothes or undercover rather than walking around in a uniform like a LEO or border patrol or a guardsman.

In short. Baloney.

View attachment 126738

Not only this but also anyone in any kind of uniform is at risk again, like back in the daze of the Viet Nam War.

I just completely my annual requalification for armed security and they (the instructors) warned us about this.

I prefer to be plain clothes or undercover rather than walking around in a uniform like a LEO or border patrol or a guardsman.

Well if we could get the cops to stop crashing their cars and dying the war on cops would be over.

Officer Down has the number of police shot and killed at 18. 2017

During the same time period 385 people have been killed by police.

Police shootings 2017 database

That means the police have a better than 20 to one kill ratio. That means 20 people are killed by police as opposed to one who is killed by gunfire.

If you take all causes, including the leading cause of death auto accidents, then you still have a better than seven to one ratio.

The war seems to be going well for police.

The idea that it is more dangerous is backed by anecdotal evidence that does not bear up to scrutiny. But it sounds good and is used as an excuse to justify the inexcusable behavior of the thin blue line.

David Cobb shot Patterson Brown and was convicted of Volentary Homicide. The punishment was three months. If someone shot a cop and got less than three life sentences then we would be inundated with soft on crime posts.

It's more dangerous to be a commercial fisherman. It's more dangerous to be a lumberjack. It's more dangerous to be a professional driver. Yet we don't bend over backwards to justify their misbehavior because they have a dangerous job.

I have no difficulty believing one thing. That is the idea that police believe there is a war on them. It fits with the unstable psychology that seems to be a constant in the world of the police.

Virginia State Police Special Agent and Mississippi Deputy Killed...
eek.gif

Virginia State Police Special Agent Dead; Suspect in Custody
May 28, 2017 - Virginia State Police Special Agent Michael T. Walter was killed in a shooting Friday.
A Virginia State Police special agent who was killed in a shooting in Richmond was a 18-year veteran of the force, according to the Virginia State Police. VSP Special Agent Michael T. Walter of Powhatan County was 45. He was a member of the Bureau of Criminal Investigation's Richmond Field Office Drug Enforcement Section Walter was riding in a marked Richmond Police Department SUV Friday as part of an ongoing partnership between the two agencies Walter and the Richmond officer pulled up behind a silver Chevrolet Cobalt that was parked in the wrong direction on a street near the Mosby Court public housing complex around 7:35 p.m. They approached the car to speak with the occupants. While the Richmond Police officer was talking to the driver, Walter walked over to the passenger side where police say 27-year-old Travis A. Ball was sitting.

valodd.592acecd8e384.jpg

Special Agent Michael T. Walter​

Ball shot once, police said, and took off running. Walter was rushed to VCU Medical Center, where he died shortly after 5 a.m. Saturday. The driver of the car was detained and a handgun was recovered at the scene near the car. Ball, of Richmond, is in custody after a manhunt that went on through the night. He was apprehended shortly after 6 a.m. at a home in Northumberland County. Ball has been charged with malicious wounding, possession of a firearm by a felon and use of a firearm in a felony. Additional charges are pending, state police said. Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe tweeted a statement Saturday morning expressing gratitude for Walter's service, which noted that Walter was married and had children. "Special Agent Walter was one of our brave men and women in uniform who risk their lives every single day to protect their fellow Virginians. We will be forever grateful for his service and sacrifice," McAuliffe said in the statement.

Walter is the 63rd member of the Virginia State Police to die in the line of duty since 1932, according to the state police. The special agent was remembered Saturday by Virginia State Police Superintendent Colonel W. Steven Flaherty as someone who worked to improve his community, founding a non-profit youth wrestling group in Powhatan County. "Mike is well-known not only for his passion for criminal justice, but also for his commitment and passion to bettering the lives of local youth," Flaherty said, according to a release from state police. Walter was a United States Marine Corps veteran and spent two years as an officer with the Virginia Division of Capitol Police before joining the state police in 1998, first working in Northern Virginia and then moving to Richmond. His survived by his wife and three children.

Virginia State Police Special Agent Dead; Suspect in Custody

See also:

Deputy sheriff among 8 killed in Mississippi shooting; 'I ain't fit to live,' suspect says
28 May,`17 - Authorities in Mississippi say a suspect is in custody after eight people, including a sheriff’s deputy, were killed in a shooting.
Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain said the shootings occurred at three separate homes Saturday night in Lincoln County. Strain says charges have not yet been filed against the suspect and that it would be “premature” to discuss a motive. It was not clear whether the suspect knew his victims before allegedly killing them.

However, the suspect himself gave some insight into the events that led to the shootings in an interview with a newspaper. “I ain't fit to live, not after what I done,” Cory Godbolt told The Clarion-Ledger after his arrest. The newspaper recorded video of the suspect talking as he sat with hands cuffed behind his back on a roadside surrounded by law enforcement officers.

Authorities in Mississippi say a suspect is in custody after eight people, including a sheriff’s deputy, were killed in a shooting. Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain said the shootings occurred at three separate homes Saturday night in Lincoln County. Strain says charges have not yet been filed against the suspect and that it would be “premature” to discuss a motive.

It was not clear whether the suspect knew his victims before allegedly killing them. However, the suspect himself gave some insight into the events that led to the shootings in an interview with a newspaper. “I ain't fit to live, not after what I done,” Cory Godbolt told The Clarion-Ledger after his arrest. The newspaper recorded video of the suspect talking as he sat with hands cuffed behind his back on a roadside surrounded by law enforcement officers.

Deputy sheriff among 8 killed in Mississippi shooting; 'I ain't fit to live,' suspect says

Corrections Officer Dies after Incident With Inmate...
eek.gif

Corrections Officer Dies in Incident With Inmate
June 10, 2017 - Corrections Officer Shana Tedder complained of shortness of breath and collapsed after the use of force incident at the Christina Melton Crain Unit.
A Texas Department of Correctional Justice officer died following a confrontation with an inmate Friday afternoon.

Corrections Officer Shana Tedder complained of shortness of breath and collapsed after the use of force incident at the Christina Melton Crain Unit female prison in Gatesville, according to The Killeen Daily Herald.

texasprison.593c47d8ccc7c.jpg

Corrections Officer Shana Tedder complained of shortness of breath and collapsed after the use of force incident at the Christina Melton Crain Unit female prison in Gatesville Friday afternoon.​

Texas Department of Correctional Justice spokesman Jason Clark said that prison staff began life-saving measures and called emergency medical personnel, but efforts to revive Tedder unsuccessful.

The 41-year-old officer was pronounced dead by a Coryell County justice of the peace at 3:22 p.m. An investigation into the incident between the inmate and corrections officers is ongoing.

Texas Corrections Officer Dies After Confrontation With Inmate

See also:

Driver Describes Scene of Deputy's Slaying
June 9, 2017 - The driver of a Toyota Corolla that was pulled over for a traffic stop by Broward Sheriff's Deputy Brian Tephford late on Nov. 11, 2006 took the stand Tuesday to describe the deputy's murder to the jury.
The driver of a Toyota Corolla that was pulled over for a traffic stop by Broward Sheriff's Deputy Brian Tephford late on Nov. 11, 2006 took the stand Tuesday to describe the deputy's murder to the jury. Shante Spencer couldn't answer several key questions because, she said, she could not positively identify the shooters and was hiding in panic during the chaos. One shooter had on a dark shirt, she said. Spencer's testimony did manage to put one of three defendants at the scene of the shooting. She and Eloyn Ingraham were dating at the time and she was driving him home to his apartment in the Versailles Gardens complex in Tamarac, Spencer said.

Tephford stopped her Toyota because the license tag did not match the car. Spencer told the jury that it was a mixup, but that the tag she was using was not stolen. She said she asked Tephford for permission to call her father to help clear things up. Ingraham was in Spencer's car throughout the stop, identifying himself as "Kevin" and saying he was not carrying identification, she recalled. Spencer said she was rummaging through her glove compartment for her vehicle's registration and Ingraham was on his cell phone when shots rang out. "I turned around and started screaming and put my head down," she said. At one point she looked up and saw a shooter with "fire coming from his hand." But she did not see his face, she said.

fladeputylodd.593a84b28cb08.jpg

Prosecutors say the shots were fired by the other two defendants in the case -- Andre Delancy and Bernard Forbes. All three face the death penalty if convicted. Another deputy, Corey Carbocci, was wounded in the shooting and is expected to testify for the prosecution. Defense lawyers H. Dohn Williams and Hilliard Moldof, representing Delancy and Forbes, focused their cross examination of Spencer on the fact that she never identified their clients as the shooters and that she was dishonest about Ingraham's identity when police later questioned her about who was in her car.

Spencer admitted she lied to police, identifying Ingraham initially as "Kevin." Spencer's testimony about Ingraham's phone call is a key part of the prosecutions case. State Attorney Mike Satz said during opening statements on Tuesday that jurors will learn Ingraham was on the phone with the other defendants at the time. Spencer is scheduled to be cross examined by a third defense lawyer, representing Ingraham, on Friday.

Driver Describes Scene of Fatal Shooting of Deputy | Officer.com

Cop killer on the loose...
eek.gif

Ark. Lieutenant Fatally Shot; Suspect Sought
June 13, 2017 - Newport Police Lt. Patrick Weatherford was fatally shot while assisting a fellow officer at a traffic stop.
A Newport, Arkansas police lieutenant was fatally shot while assisting a fellow officer at a traffic stop Monday evening. Lt. Patrick Weatherford was in the Remmel Park area west of the Newport High when he responded to the call for assistance around 6:15 p.m., according to The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. The 41-year-old officer, who was a 15-year veteran of the force, was transported to Unity Health in Newport where he was pronounced dead.

arkpolicelt.593fc1e89c475.jpg

Newport Police Lt. Patrick Weatherford​

A suspect was arrested and taken into custody following the shooting. According to media reporters, a dive team is currently searching for the firearm used by the gunman. "We're in shock," Newport Mayor David Stewart said Monday evening. "We are trying to put the pieces together right now."

Weatherford graduated from the Federal Bureau of Investigation's National Academy Program in Quantico, Va. in April 2016 and was named Jackson County Law Enforcement Officer of the Year in October 2016. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Arkansas Police Lieutenant Fatally Shot; Suspect Sought | Officer.com

See also:

Ga. Corrections Officers Killed by Inmates ID'd
June 13, 2017 - Putnam County Corrections Officers Christopher Monica and Curtis Billue were killed after their prison bus was hijacked by two inmates Tuesday.
Two corrections officers were killed after a pair of inmates overpowered them on a prison bus with 31 other prisoners on board in eastern Putnam County early Tuesday. The Georgia Department of Corrections identified the guards as Christopher Monica and Curtis Billue. Billue joined the department in 2007, with Monica beginning in 2009. Two armed inmates escaped with the guards’ .40-caliber Glocks. Authorities were hunting for Ricky Dubose and Donnie Russell Rowe. Rowe, who is white and in his 40s, stands 6-foot-1 with brown hair and blue eyes. He weighs about 180 pounds. He was serving time in Baldwin State Prison for an armed robbery in Bibb County, according to the Georgia Department of Corrections website. Dubose is a white male, about 6-foot-1 and weighs about 140 pounds. He was serving time at Baldwin State Prison for armed robbery in Elbert County. Recent photos show him with tattoos on his face and neck.

The inmates were last seen after commandeering a passerby’s a four-door, dark green 2004 Honda Civic, with Georgia license plate number RBJ6601 and were headed west toward Eatonton about 6:45 a.m. The first call for help came in shortly before 7 a.m. Tuesday as inmates apparently took control of a prison bus on Ga. 16 below Lake Oconee, not far from the Hancock County line. The two prisoners were said to have overpowered the two corrections officers on the transport bus. At a news conference late Tuesday morning, Putnam Sheriff Howard Sills said the alleged killers took the passerby’s cellphone and took off in his Honda. Sills said the escapees appeared to have ditched the cellphone soon after. “He happened to be coming along at the wrong time,” Sills said of the carjack victim, a local man. “He stopped. He thought it was a work detail. ... Next thing he knew, two guys approached him armed with pistols. ... He then flaggged down a car.”

The sheriff said the attack on the bus happened about six miles east of Eatonton and that the killers had somehow managed to get into the locked area where the driver, who was a corrections officer, and another corrections officer were. Those men were the only two corrections officers aboard. Georgia Department of Corrections Commissioner Greg Dozier said at a news conference shortly before noon, “Obviously it’s a tragic day for the family of corrections and the loved ones of these two officers. ... My heart is still in the soles of my shoes.” The prison bus was en route to various prisons but was thought to have begun its trip in Baldwin County and then gone to Hancock before heading into Putnam. Asked how the two suspect prisoners may have been able to overpower the guards, Dozier said, “We have secure vehicles and that should not have happened.”

Sills, the sheriff, said, one corrections officer was driving and that the escapees somehow went through a gate while the bus was moving on the highway. “There was a physical altercation and they took (the guards’) guns away from them,” Sills said. “They were both shot on the bus. I have their blood on my shoes.” When asked by a reporter how authorities might go about catching the escapees, Sills, anger welling in his voice, said, “We get these guys by the public looking for this green Honda Civic. We need somebody to find this car. ... They are armed. They are dangerous. ... We have no idea where they are. ... They may well have dumped that vehicle and stolen another car.” The sheriff added, “I would suggest that they surrender before we find them.” Said Dozier: “We will find them and they will pay the price.”

MORE

Related:

'No Effort Will be Spared' in Hunt for Inmates
June 14, 2017 - Officials say that inmates Ricky Dubose and Donnie Russell Rowe overpowered Corrections Officer Christopher Monica and Curtis Billue, killed them and then sped away in a stolen vehicle.
Gov. Nathan Deal said Tuesday "no effort will be spared" to track down two escaped inmates who police say overpowered two Georgia correctional officers, shot and killed them and then sped away in a stolen vehicle. "Our heartbreak is matched only in our resolve to bring their murderers to justice," Deal said. "No effort will be spared in pursuit of the killers, and no state resources required in this endeavor will be spared."

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said the fatal shootings happened before 6 a.m. on Ga. 16 in the middle Georgia county. He said two inmates, identified as Ricky Dubose and Donnie Russell Rowe, overtook guards driving a transport bus, disarmed them and then killed them. The governor warned residents near Putnam County to be "vigilant and cautious" while the suspects remain at large: "They are extremely dangerous. Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts should immediately contact 911."

Several local, state and federal agencies have joined the manhunt to bring the suspects to justice, Deal said, including the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. And he said the "selflessness and courage" of the two victims -- Sgt. Christopher Monica and Curtis Billue -- would not be forgotten. "Two families lost everything in a heinous and senseless act of violence perpetrated at the hands of cowards," said Deal, adding: "The selflessness and courage of these two brave souls will not be forgotten, nor will their sacrifice and service."

'No Effort Will be Spared' in Hunt for Inmates Who Killed Corrections Officers

Last edited:

In short. Baloney.

View attachment 126738

Police are not in the top ten dangerous jobs. I am more likely to die on the job tban a cop is.

Rough week for Georgia cops...
eek.gif

Escaped Inmates Sought in Killing of Georgia Corrections Officers Captured in Tennessee
June 16, 2017 - Two escaped inmates sought in the killings of two Georgia corrections officers on a prison bus were captured in Tennessee Thursday night.
Two escaped inmates sought in the killings of two corrections officer on a Georgia prison bus were captured Thursday in Tennessee after holding an elderly couple captive and leading police on a chase by car and foot, authorities said. Donnie Rowe and Ricky Dubose were captured in Christiana, Tennessee, Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Nelly Miles said. Police in Shelbyville, Tennessee, responded to a call about a home invasion, where Rowe and Dubose held an elderly couple captive and then fled in the couple's vehicle, Miles said. Officers responded and chased the pair. The inmates got into a wreck, left the vehicle and then led police on a foot chase before both men were taken into custody in the community of Christiana, she said.

Georgia Department of Corrections Commissioner Greg Dozier said in a news release that he was relieved the two inmates were captured and no longer a threat to the public. "They will be brought to justice swiftly for their heinous crime against our Officers," he said, also expressing gratitude to all of the law enforcement officers who provided support and assistance in the search for the two men. Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal applauded the "tireless efforts" of law enforcement but also turned his thoughts to the families of the two officers, saying their pain remains. "We will do everything in our power to support their loved ones, and we will not forget their sacrifice and service," Deal said.

inmatescaptured.5943b478b1006.jpg

Two escaped inmates sought in the killings of two corrections officer on a Georgia prison bus were captured Thursday in Tennessee after holding an elderly couple captive and leading police on a chase by car and foot.​

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokesman Josh DeVine said the bureau's agents will take part in processing the scene. The Tennessee Department of Transportation said traffic was being diverted on Interstate 24 east in Rutherford County until about 11 p.m. The two men had been on the run since early Tuesday, when they are accused of having killed Sgt. Christopher Monica and Sgt. Curtis Billue.

The two inmates overpowered and disarmed the guards about 6:45 a.m. Tuesday as 33 inmates were being driven between prisons, authorities have said. One of them fatally shot both guards, and then they jumped out of the bus and carjacked a driver who happened to pull up behind them on a state Highway 16 in Putnam County, southeast of Atlanta, authorities said. The two inmates then fled in the stolen Honda Civic and drove about 25 miles (40 kilometers) north to Madison, where they ransacked a home, stealing food and clothes and leaving their prison uniforms behind around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.

MORE

See also:

Off-Duty Deputy Killed in Domestic Dispute
June 16, 2017 - Richmond County Sheriff's Cpl. Gregory Cooke was fatally shot Thursday afternoon in south Augusta.
An off-duty Richmond County Sheriff's deputy was fatally shot Thursday afternoon in south Augusta, according to the sheriff's office. The officer, Cpl. Gregory Cooke, 43, was a road patrol deputy hired in December 2014. He was taken to AU Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 4:52 p.m, Coroner Mark Bowen said in a news release. Bowen said Cooke was shot at least one time in what authorities are calling a domestic dispute. The shooting occurred in the 2400 block of Lennox Road off Windsor Spring Road.

Paul Jones, who lives four doors from the residence where the officer was shot, told an Augusta Chronicle reporter that he heard about five or six shots fired. "We were going to Walmart up here but after the shots we just held up for awhile," he said. "I have never seen anything like that on this street." Four people surrendered to a Burke County Sheriff's deputy who they said they knew, according to Burke County Chief Deputy Lewis Blanchard. Two of the suspects who turned themselves in were cousins, he said. All four were turned over to Richmond County, Blanchard said.

gadeputy.5943c3a93890f.jpg

Cpl. Gregory Cooke​

Two people, Naheem Rashad Caldwell, 17, of 3410 Aspen Court, who is out on bond after being indicted on a charge of theft by taking -- accused of possessing a stolen 2004 Dodge Ram, and Donnelle Osborne,18, were arrested in connection to Cooke's death, according to Lt. Allan Rollins of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office. No charges had been filed as of late Thursday. Earlier in the afternoon authorities from the Richmond County Sheriff's Office filled the parking lot of Skateland, located on Windsor Spring Road as helicopters flew above in search of suspects, who fled the scene.

Richmond County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Patrick Clayton said the shooting involved a domestic situation between the officer and a couple and their two children. Cooke was not related to the suspects but was acquainted with them, he said. Caldwell's first cousin, Latisha Lewis, who came to the scene on Lennox Road later in the evening, said he had become different person. "He wasn't raised that way, he was brought up well-mannered, but at some point he got into this world and made a horrible decision."

MORE

Corrections Officers killers to face death penalty...
thumbsup.gif

Prosecutors Will Seek the Death Penalty for Accused Killers of Corrections Officers
June 23, 2017 - The two Georgia convicts accused of killing a pair of corrections officers on a prison bus last week and then escaping were back in Putnam County Wednesday for a first-appearance hearing in court.
The two Georgia convicts accused of killing a pair of corrections officers on a prison bus last week and then escaping were back in Putnam County Wednesday for a first-appearance hearing in court. Murder suspects Ricky Dubose and Donnie Rowe, who fled to Tennessee after corrections officers Curtis Billue and Christopher Monica were shot and killed June 13, were whisked back to Georgia in the wee hours of the morning.

A caravan of five SUVs delivered the men to the Putnam jail shortly before 6 a.m. "I'm confident they didn't know we were coming," said Putnam Sheriff Howard Sills, who led the group of lawmen who retrieved the fugitives from a jail in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, not far from where the escapees were captured last Thursday. At Wednesday's hearing, prosecutors, as The Telegraph reported late last week, said they intended to seek the death penalty against Rowe and Dubose. They will file the formal notice later.

convicts.594d651b0848e.jpg

Ricky Dubose, left, and Donnie Rowe​

Rowe and Dubose sat shackled side by side in the courtroom. Rowe, already serving a life-without-parole sentence for a string of violent crimes including a Macon armed robbery in 2001, appeared to listen intently, while the younger Dubose seemed aloof. He glanced around the room as camera shutters clacked in a balcony behind him.

Rowe answered the judge with a "yes, ma'am" once, but neither prisoner said much if anything during the 12-minute proceeding. After the hearing, a sheriff's caravan drove the pair to the state prison in Jackson, where they were en route last week when they escaped.

Prosecutors Will Seek the Death Penalty for Accused Killers of Corrections Officers

See also:

Man Convicted in Slaying of Columbus Officer
June 23, 2017 - Lincoln S. Rutledge is eligible for the death penalty after a Franklin County jury convicted him Thursday of purposely killing Columbus SWAT Officer Steven Smith last year.
Lincoln S. Rutledge is eligible for the death penalty after a Franklin County jury convicted him Thursday of purposely killing a Columbus police officer. The jurors will return to Common Pleas Court next week for a hearing at which the defense will present mitigating factors in hopes of convincing them to recommend a life sentence rather than death. The jury deliberated for about 16 hours over three days before finding Rutledge, 45, guilty of aggravated murder in the death of Officer Steven Smith, who was shot in the head during a SWAT standoff outside Rutledge's Clintonville apartment on April 10, 2016.

In addition to the conviction for aggravated murder, the jury found that Rutledge knew he was shooting at a law-enforcement officer, was attempting to kill two or more people and that he committed the crime to escape detection or apprehension. All of those findings, known as specifications, make him eligible for a death sentence. If the jury decides that death isn't the appropriate penalty, they must recommend a sentence of life in prison without parole or life with a chance of parole after 25 or 30 years. A Franklin County jury hasn't recommended a death sentence since 2003. The jury of seven men and five women also convicted Rutledge of two counts of attempted murder and four counts of felonious assault for other officers who were in the line of fire during the standoff; 10 gun specifications; and one count of aggravated arson for setting his estranged wife's house on fire.

copkiller.594cf40ae4525.jpg

Lincoln S. Rutledge, left, and SWAT Officer Steven Smith​

Officers were attempting to serve Rutledge with an arrest warrant on the arson charge when he barricaded himself inside his apartment on West California Avenue near North High Street, setting off an all-night standoff with SWAT officers. Rutledge's now ex-wife testified that he exhibited increasingly erratic, threatening behavior in the weeks before the fire was set. He had walked away from an $87,000-a-year IT job at Ohio State University. Testimony showed that he fired shots from a 9mm handgun several times during the standoff. The fatal gunfire occurred at 2:33 a.m. when a SWAT officer began using a pole to clear glass and blinds from a rear bedroom window to get a better look inside. Smith was in the turret of an armored vehicle, providing cover for the officers outside the window, when he was struck just above the left eye by a shot fired from inside the bedroom.

Key to the evidence of his purpose to kill officers was testimony that he invoked the Castle Doctrine when a SWAT team slammed open the front door of his apartment. That law allows citizens to use deadly force against an unlawful entry into their home, but not against officers with a warrant. Rutledge had announced his intention to use deadly force toward officers and reinforced it with his behavior throughout the standoff, Assistant Prosecutors Daniel Hogan and Warren Edwards told the jury in closing arguments. Defense attorney Jefferson Liston said in his closing argument that Rutledge was shooting at the pole that was placed in the bedroom where he was holed up, not at the officers outside. He argued that a conviction for a lesser charge of murder was more appropriate than aggravated murder.

Man Convicted in Slaying of Columbus SWAT Officer | Officer.com

Cop killer killed his cousin first...
eek.gif

Suspected Cop-Killer Said He 'Smoked' Officer
June 26, 2017 - Michael Christopher Mejia is accused of killing his cousin and Whittier Police Officer Keith on Feb. 20.
The man police believe killed his cousin and a Whittier police officer later the same day described the deadly shootout with police in an interview with sheriff's detectives, according to audio of the interview played in the first of a two-day court hearing Thursday. Michael Christopher Mejia, 26, of Los Angeles, laid out the timeline of the Feb. 20 shootout in the Friendly Hills area of Whittier to two investigators at a downtown Los Angeles jail. The shooting left Officer Keith Boyer dead and Officer Patrick Hazel wounded. Mejia was also wounded in the violent encounter. "I know I smoked this one," Mejia said, apparently referring to Boyer. "Yet the second one. Could not get him."

Mejia described opening the door of his car, which he had just crashed into another vehicle at the intersection of Colima and Mar Vista Street, to shield himself from the approaching Boyer. But Mejia said he didn't see Hazel standing behind him. "I opened the door ... to cover myself, but the one in the back, I wasn't focused on him," Mejia said. "I didn't see the one in the back that shot me in the back." Mejia was charged in March with the murder of Boyer and the wounding of Hazel. He was also charged with the murder of his cousin, Roy Torres, 47, of East Los Angeles. Police previously said Mejia shot the two officers as he stepped out of the stolen car he had just slammed into a stopped vehicle.

copkiller.5950f88119b72.jpg

Michael Mejia, left, and Officer Keith Boyer​

Police also believe Mejia killed Torres at a home in East L.A. earlier that day following a dispute. Investigators said Mejia stole Torres' car after that early morning shooting. Mejia told the two detectives that he was high on marijuana and other drugs at the time of the shooting. He also told the detectives he blacked out after being shot, and only remembered the incident later after watching news reports about it on television. Investigators have not released any information indicating whether Mejia had drugs in his system the day of the shooting.

Mejia read a transcript of the interview with his lawyer as it played during the hearing. As the video played, Mejia looked back over his shoulder at five of his supporters who were at the hearing. A trio of Whittier officers also attended the hearing, along with Boyer's mother and stepfather. Witnesses who testified Thursday included the girlfriend of Torres and her cousin, who prosecutors said were in the garage of the home when Torres was fatally shot.[ Both cousins, identified as Jane Doe 1 and 2, testified that they both heard and saw the shooting. "All I remember is that a bullet went through his head," said Torres' girlfriend, who was confused, combative and emotional at times on the stand. "I remember it going into his forehead like a cartoon."

MORE

See also:

Man Found Guilty in Slaying of Georgia Deputy
June 13, 2017 - Jurors deliberated about 30 minutes before finding Christopher Keith Calmer guilty of murder in the 2014 fatal shooting of Monroe County Deputy Michael Norris.
Jurors deliberated about 30 minutes before finding Christopher Keith Calmer guilty of murder in the 2014 fatal shooting of Monroe County deputy Michael Norris. Calmer, 49, who also was accused of wounding deputy Jeff Wilson, additionally was found guilty of two counts of aggravated assault on a peace officer, two counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, and single counts of aggravated battery and criminal attempt to commit murder. Calmer nodded his head up and down as the verdict for each charge was read aloud.

gadeputy.5940344e8ad25.jpg

Deputy Michael Norris​

The same Upson County jurors who have listened to testimony during the more than week-long trial soon will begin listening to additional testimony in the penalty phase of the trial. Jurors will decide whether to sentence Calmer to life, life without parole or to be executed. Towaliga Judicial Circuit District Attorney Jonathan Adams called Calmer a “scheming manipulator” during his closing argument Monday night, saying Calmer lured the deputies to his parents’ home Sept. 13, 2014, with a plan of shooting at them in hopes they would then kill him.

Adams held up Norris’s bloody uniform shirt and the gun used to shoot him, saying the two deputies had gone to Calmer’s parents’ home near Interstate 75 and Pate Road to help Calmer. Calmer’s uncle had called 911 seeking help because Calmer was suicidal. Calmer, who suffered from chronic pain, made a conscious choice to shoot the deputies, Adams said. Calmer’s attorneys have argued their client suffers from multiple mental illnesses and wasn’t in his right mind at the time of the shooting. Norris died of his wounds. Wilson survived.

Man Found Guilty in Slaying of Georgia Deputy | Officer.com

Forum List

Back