Laura Bush Objects To Being Quoted Accurately Supporting Marriage Equality

She has the right to tell the group that she does not want them using her in their advertising.

And to sue them if they continue to do so.

As a public figure who has publicly made statements and written in her book that she supports marriage equality - why does she have the right to sue if her statements are used?

Because I believe you have to have permission from said person to use them in your ad which it seems this group did not have. Just because you make a public statement in support of something it does not give every group out there that supports the same thing the right to use your name and likeness in their advertising.

No you don't.
Now if someone is deceased and there is a trademark on their name such as WC Fields and many other actors or anyone with a trademarkyou have to have the permission of the heirs if there is a profit motive in your ad.
But this ad was informational and not a product for sale.
And advertising for "public service" ads or anything that is not for sale you can as long as that figure has been in the news before and you are using that public shot.
Then you may have to get into copyright law if there are rights to that but most all media news is not protected under that as they put it out there.

this thing with Mrs. Bush is so earth shattering it had to be in politics..

Does thinkprogrees post anything worthwhile, ever?

for that matter, does Lakhota?

this place is being ruined with this ugly hateful troll

a real damn shame

Are you serious? That's just absolutely laughable. There are innumerable hateful troll threads started by right wingers here every day. What planet are you living on?

And, I don't think this is a hateful troll thread anyway. It's a legitimate point. This woman, a major public figure, is back peddling on what she once said about gay rights. Back peddling ~ why, I wonder. Her words are recorded for everyone to see. As a public figure, there is nothing wrong with them being used by anyone. Once out of her mouth, they belong to the public, as long as she is accurately quoted. And she is, it's been recorded for all of us to see and hear. And it's legitimate to question why she is doing this.

Last edited:

a real damn shame

Are you serious? That's just absolutely laughable. There are innumerable hateful troll threads started by right wingers here every day. What planet are you living on?

And, I don't think this is a hateful troll thread anyway. It's a legitimate point. This woman, a major public figure, is back peddling on what she once said about gay rights. Back peddling ~ why, I wonder. Her words are recorded for everyone to see. As a public figure, there is nothing wrong with them being used by anyone. Once out of her mouth, they belong to the public, as long as she is accurately quoted. And she is, it's been recorded for all of us to see and hear. And it's legitimate to question why she is doing this.

To be fair, she didn't really backpeddle...she just doesn't want her support for marriage equality well known. She wants to remain closeted with her support ;)

Cmon, give Laura a break, she's been around Stupid for so long, some of it has to have rubbed off on her.

a real damn shame

well OK, let's get back to talking about MaBells Obama's butt, she is in the public spotlight and a public figure..

a real damn shame

To be fair, she didn't really backpeddle...she just doesn't want her support for marriage equality well known. She wants to remain closeted with her support ;)

To me it is and it isn't political.
And the right wing usually are the ones making it political but I deal with that with positively.
Watch and see Steph be one that will come around on this issue one day.
Gay marriage affects no one and just as we saw the NO PROBLEM status immediately in the military which I am sure she sees now that the anti gays in the military crowd WERE DEAD WRONG she will see that gay marriage is not a problem soon after SCOTUS rules in favor of it this year.

And the right wing usually are the ones making it political but I deal with that with positively.
Gay marriage affects no one and just as we saw the NO PROBLEM status immediately in the military which I am sure she sees now that the anti gays in the military crowd WERE DEAD WRONG she will see that gay marriage is not a problem soon after SCOTUS rules in favor of it this year.

leave me out of your bullshit, thanks
you don't my opinions on this so don't pretend you do

Last edited:

No I won't.
You responded to my post and I have seen yours many times on this subject.
It is very hard to make chicken salad out of chicken shit but I believe you could do it on this issue.

nmarriage equality, I love that doest that include the woman marrying a dolphin?

A woman was arrested for fucking her pit bull dog. Maybe she should have married him.

She was forced to marry him in a shotgun wedding by her parents because she got pregnant as a result of it.

You were the baby. Katzndogz is what they named you.
Fitting.

Are you comparing me to a pit bull? Thank you. I'd like to think I was a BIT more vicious, but you're entitled.

No I won't.
You responded to my post and I have seen yours many times on this subject.
It is very hard to make chicken salad out of chicken shit but I believe you could do it on this issue.

no you haven't because it's not something I lose sleep over. I have more important things to worry about

Forum List

Back