Lawman Bass Reeves Paramount+ Hulu

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Saw the first 3 episodes and was no impressed. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a generous 83%. Bass Reeves, a slave during the civil war fights along side his master. Despite insults, threats, and abuse, Bass remain faithful until the day his master lies to him about setting him free. Bass in a fit of rage kills his master. Thus begins his adventures heading west, raising a family and becoming a lawman. The story is not bad and the script is ok. However, the action scenes are not very exciting and the few comic scenes fall flat. I suspect the family was created to be attacked by bad guys which would send Bass off on a mission of revenge. In short, it's a bit boring.

Maybe the director will eventually create something worth watching. However, I don't have the patience to continue now.

I need to watch it. I recently reactivated my Paramount+ account, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

There are some who believe that Bass Reeves was the inspiration for The Lone Ranger. Though everyone agrees there's no real way to prove it.

Saw the first 3 episodes and was no impressed. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a generous 83%. Bass Reeves, a slave during the civil war fights along side his master. Despite insults, threats, and abuse, Bass remain faithful until the day his master lies to him about setting him free. Bass in a fit of rage kills his master. Thus begins his adventures heading west, raising a family and becoming a lawman. The story is not bad and the script is ok. However, the action scenes are not very exciting and the few comic scenes fall flat. I suspect the family was created to be attacked by bad guys which would send Bass off on a mission of revenge. In short, it's a bit boring.

Maybe the director will eventually create something worth watching. However, I don't have the patience to continue now.
It could have been horrible and Rotten Tomatoes would have given it at least a 75% for the subject.
If a movie tows an "approved narrative" - it automatically starts out at least 70%.
Which is why no other critic source I have seen is so consistently different that audience reviews.

It could have been horrible and Rotten Tomatoes would have given it at least a 75% for the subject.
If a movie tows an "approved narrative" - it automatically starts out at least 70%.
Which is why no other critic source I have seen is so consistently different that audience reviews.
I prefer to read what the critics have to say, not just a number and a maybe a sentence or so. We all have different opinions as to what is a good movie. For me it is the basic components of every good drama, a good story, characters, acting, and direction. Sound, special effects, and cinematograph are the icing on the cake. Unfortunately too many movies are build around the icing, ignoring the basics.

The difference between a good and a great movie is the characters. Strong characters' flaws, strengths, quirks, and ambitions make us care about the story. The emotional resonance; that is the actors ability to connect with the audience can turn a good film into a great one. When you walk out of a theater and the charters seem real to you and you have felt, the love, the hate, the sorrow, or joy of the characters, you know you have just seen a great movie.

I took my grandkids to see Dune. They loved it. I was ready to leave before we hit the 2 hour mark. Can't tell you anything about the characters in the movie accept for the big worm that came out of the sand. In spike of the fact that he was created on a computer his acting exceeded the rest of cast. I think he has a real future in Hollywood

Last edited:

Forum List

Back