Legendary NFL coach and broadcaster John Madden passes away

1640752575471.png

I'm sure it's on streaming somewhere already but if you didn't catch it...FOX ran a special on Mr. Madden called "All Madden". It was shown a few days ago on Christmas Day. Highly entertaining and insightful. One of the engineers who worked on the original John Madden Football remarked that he--the engineer--was worried about having too many players on the field on an 8 bit platform or whatever. So he recommended that they take out the guards and the tackles. Madden shot that idea down in a hurry.

One of the REAL legends of the NFL.
He was a coaching genius and a broadcasting household name, and he was recognized for integrity throughout the entire league, especially by the players and his peers.
RIP Coach

I remember when I heard John Madden was going to broadcast games for CBS. That fat guy who was always screaming on the Raiders sideline?

Madden revolutionized NFL commentary.
Used to be they had a QB or running back describe the play.

Running back gets the ball, fakes right and then cuts back through the hole……Great run!

Madden would describe how the hole got there
Watch the right guard. He pulls out to the left and as the Linebacker comes up to fill the gap, BOOM! My Grandmother could have gotten through that hole.

He made you understand exactly how a play developed

Last edited:
No cause of death listed. Oddly enough there is a screen shot of Madden on social media stating that he got the clot shot or the clot shot booster within the last 30 days.

should've won more Superbowls!

"When you can play it for a while, and then go on with your life's work, and it's still football, you're the luckiest guy in the world."

My Senior year our coach sent me to Raiders Offices in Oakland to pick up the high light reel for our Football awards dinner. He came out and handed me the film, he as an absolute mountain of a man. Huge

Last edited:
If you are old enough you remember John Madden the great coach of the Raiders holds the highest winning percentage of any coach winning more than a 100 games (.758) ahead of the great Vince Lombardi.

If you were a little younger you would remember the great announcer, 20 seasons of listening pleasure and feeling his love and excitement for the game. I wished he could of announced every Super Bowl. Sheer joy to listen to.

If you were younger yet, you will remember his Madden football game that was the goal of every player to be on the cover.

Most of all, he loved, and I mean loved what he did and it showed through his entire career. The man helped propel the NFL into a world brand.

He will be missed, my thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family as much as we will miss him, they will miss him more.

To the Man, the Myth and the Legend. RIP! You were beloved by all who heard that voice.

Madden had a lot more personality than most of today's Sportscasters.
He was fun.
I think that is because he loved the game and loved what he did. You get the feeling with Madden that it wasn't about the money, it was about loving what you did.

At the end of the season he would name his “All Madden Team”
For most announcers, it would be pretty lame…..But with Madden, it was an honor players bragged about.

Most All-Pro lists would pick the Running Back who gained the most yards. Madden would pick the toughest guy, the badass.
Madden would pick the Running Back who blocked, who fought for extra yards, who instead of running out of bounds would look for someone to hit.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back