Legendary NFL coach and broadcaster John Madden passes away

He was as much a part of football in the era as the football itself.
What was Sunday football without John Madden??
I am fortunate to have lived and listened countless times to two of the best broadcasters in history... John Madden and Harry Caray.
Their love for the game was impossible to miss. Their energy and hilarious missteps was a HUGE part of why I watched the games.

Oh - and I highly recommend his book "One knee equals two feet".... great one

ss.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. Madden coached the Oakland Raiders to a Super Bowl title before becoming one of football’s best-known broadcasters and a video game entrepreneur.

For all of his celebrity, Madden was perhaps most closely identified with his video game franchise, which connected him to younger generations. He was fond of saying that when many younger people met him, it became apparent to him that they knew him from the video game, not as a Hall of Fame coach or perhaps even as an innovative broadcaster. Not that he was complaining, necessarily: He had fulfilled his father’s wishes.

“Once you start work, you’re going to have to work the rest of your life,” Madden said, recounting Earl’s advice, in his 2006 induction speech at the Hall of Fame. Then he added: “I have never worked a day in my life. I went from player to coach to a broadcaster, and I am the luckiest guy in the world.”

John Madden, Face and Voice of the N.F.L. on the Field and in the Broadcast Booth, Dies at 85

It took way too long for him to elected to the HOF. Loved watching those Raider Steeler games in the 1970's.

Forum List

Back