Leonard Cohen estate threatening legal action after Trump campaign uses ‘Hallelujah’

What a coincidence. Limited use of an artist's work is permitted under copyright laws. Fair use provision.

A convention is nothing but a political commercial. A rally is nothing but a political commercial.
Your legal theories are absurd. How did you ever get to be a lawyer?
Oh, right....you aren't a lawyer.

Neil Young is suing Trump over this right now.

Fair Use provisions. Look it up.

Yes, look it up. Fair use covers only using quotes and excerpts of a copyrighted work, not the use of the work in its entirety.

Under the Copyright Act, use of excerpts of copyrighted material is allowed for the purposes of criticism, comment, new reporting, teaching, scholarship and research, and parody. It does not permit use of the entire work for political purposes.

For those who do not know the song, here is a beautiful rendition of it by Andre Rieu's ensemble in a tribute to Leonard Cohen for your enjoyment:

Just skip the ads and take a listen.

Here is about the best version I have ever heard and it's done without accompaniment.

Then there is the Military Version closest to my heart

And now for a Tribute to Rump

Yes. It is....your claim. Conventions promote their party and they are places where platforms are discussed
but they are not commercials in and of themselves.

And if you follow the link I gave, you will see that they don't fall under the Fair Use provision either.

They owe the Cohen Agency 150,000 bucks.

Yes, look it up. Fair use covers only using quotes and excerpts of a copyrighted work, not the use of the work in its entirety.

Under the Copyright Act, use of excerpts of copyrighted material is allowed for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship and research, and parody. It does not permit use of the entire work for political purposes.

Well then, I guess you got him now.

Under the Copyright Act, use of excerpts of copyrighted material is allowed for the purposes of criticism, comment, new reporting, teaching, scholarship and research, and parody. It does not permit use of the entire work for political purposes.

For those who do not know the song, here is a beautiful rendition of it by Andre Rieu's ensemble in a tribute to Leonard Cohen for your enjoyment:

Just skip the ads and take a listen.

Here is about the best version I have ever heard and it's done without accompaniment.

Then there is the Military Version closest to my heart

And now for a Tribute to Rump

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The first version was awesome. I can see why the military version is the closest to your heart, though. Thank you for including the third version, because I was literally in tears at the end of the first two, and I needed a good laugh. There is a sacredness to this song that should never by sullied for cynical political reasons. This is like using Amazing Grace to sell deodorant.

Tom Petty, Neil Young, now Leonard Cohen – no artist or his estate wants to be associated with the likes of Trump and Trump’s racism, bigotry, and hate.

Trump and his supporters need to deal with this fact and stop misappropriating the music of artists who oppose Trump.

What a coincidence. Limited use of an artist's work is permitted under copyright laws. Fair use provision.

A convention is nothing but a political commercial. A rally is nothing but a political commercial.
Your legal theories are absurd. How did you ever get to be a lawyer?
Oh, right....you aren't a lawyer.

Neil Young is suing Trump over this right now.
Yeah....maybe the POS will sell some albums over it.

Trump just doesn't give a fuck about Law and Order. How many artists have sued this orange turd of a president fro violating copyright laws now? At least half a dozen. Trump, once a criminal, always a criminal.
If you call Donold Tump a criminal, but cannot cite the criminal law that you think Trump has violated, you might be a TDS afflicted moron.

If you call Donold Tump a criminal, but cannot cite the criminal law that you think Trump has violated, you might be a TDS afflicted moron.

There are a lot of "lawyers" in here who scrape the bugs off my windshield as a side job. They're professionals with insect guts.... not so much with legal study.

Does playing someone's song twice make someone a "criminal"?
Bold talk in a time when people are shot dead in the streets just because they support the president.
But you aren't very smart or rational so I see how you have erased all boundary lines between
normal and crazy.

Yes if it violates the person's ownership rights and copyright it certainly does.

I guess you believe laws only apply to those who don't agree with your views.

The reality is that laws apply to everyone. It doesn't matter if you agree with their views.

Ownership of something means something in this nation and if someone violates someone's ownership rights they open themselves up to a lot o legal problems.

I have a company that sells my work for me. If someone violates my copyrights all I have to do is contact that company. They will and have unleashed their legal teams to enforce copyright laws and have won every time.

Bold talk in a time when people are shot dead in the streets just because they support the president.
But you aren't very smart or rational so I see how you have erased all boundary lines between
normal and crazy.

Yes if it violates the person's ownership rights and copyright it certainly does.

The reality is that laws apply to everyone. It doesn't matter if you agree with their views.

Ownership of something means something in this nation and if someone violates someone's ownership rights they open themselves up to a lot o legal problems.

I have a company that sells my work for me. If someone violates my copyrights all I have to do is contact that company. They will and have unleashed their legal teams to enforce copyright laws and have won every time.

Well then I guess Trump's in trouble now. :auiqs.jpg:

normal and crazy.
YES YES YES YES. It is the fucking law you God damn stupid fuck pretend law & orderr asshole.

normal and crazy.

Well then I guess Trump's in trouble now. :auiqs.jpg:
Not with his mentally deficient dumbsass base.

Forum List

Back