Lepidoptera Lovers: Butterfly Kisses

How Embarrassing. When I went to save it, this popped up: Southern Festoon Zerynthia polyxena

Sometimes digging takes weeks, sometimes you get lucky.

th
th
th

Wikipedia had this to say:
Z. polyxena is widespread in the middle and southern Europe (southeastern France, Italy, Slovakia and Greece) covering all the Balkans and reaching the south of Kazakhstan and the Urals. Although they are widespread they occur only locally. These rare butterflies can be found in warm, sunny and open places such as grassy herb rich meadows, vineyards, river banks, wetlands, cultivated areas, brushy places, wasteland, rocky cliffs and karst terrains, at an elevation of about 1,700 meters above sea level, but usually under 900 meters.

The southern festoon can reach a wingspan of 46–52 mm. The females have slightly longer wings, usually lighter colored than males. The basic color of the wings is yellow, with a complicated pattern of several black bands and spots.

On the edges of the hindwings they have a black sinuous line with a series of blue and red warning spots to deter potential predators (aposematism). The body is dark brown and bears red patches on the sides of the abdomen.

This species is rather similar to Zerynthia rumina, Zerynthia cerisyi and Zerynthia cretica. However this butterfly can be confused only with the Spanish festoon (Z. rumina). The differences are in the presence of blue on the hind wings of Z. polyxena and the relatively lower amount of red on its forewings as compared to Z. rumina. The ranges of these two species overlap only in southeast France.

The caterpillars of Z. polyxena are up to 35 millimeters long. They are initially black, then they are yellowish with six rows of fleshy orange and black spikes all over the body.

I love butterflies, more today, more today than yesterday...

Did some digging on these beautifully-colored butterflies, then found out an artist had painted them to look like the real deal. I'll never, never know if her touching up made them prettier, but they were amazing, so I'll never know. Oh, yep, one was called a "boleta" Apparently like the word mariposa, it's all butterfly in some language, not English. Weird research this evening.

Well, I wasn't disappointed when I found a series of really pretty Viceroys, so here's what I found:

upload_2019-3-8_21-47-14.png

Attachments

• 03.08.2019, Viceroy butterfly5,  Minnesota.jpg
    03.08.2019, Viceroy butterfly5, Minnesota.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 114
  • 03.l08.2019, Viceroy Butterfly4.jpg
    03.l08.2019, Viceroy Butterfly4.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 03.08.2019, Viceroy butterfly5,  Minnesota.jpg
    03.08.2019, Viceroy butterfly5, Minnesota.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 121
Theona Checkerspot - these are a real treat to your eye if ever you have seen one either on the colorful top or the cream and colorful bottom. Saw a gourp of these a few years ago. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven, they were so beautiful, and there were dozens everywhere all summer. The next year, not one sighting. They were hanging around these extremely fragrant purple flowers on the floodplain area below Freedom lake at my place. Whoa!

6815574933_5346ba2dd9.jpg

Attachments

• Theona Checkerspot1.jpg
    Theona Checkerspot1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Theona Checkerspot2.jpg
    Theona Checkerspot2.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Theona Checkerspot3.jpg
    Theona Checkerspot3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Zerynthia
(site not secure)
tolweb.org/Zerynthia_rumina/65414

Zerynthia host plant is Aristolochia. Two hosts for Chlosyne theona are Ceniza blanca (Leucophyllum texanum and L. frutescens) and Paintbrush (Castilleja species [in Arizona]).

How many anti-cancer lepidoptera have already been depicted in this thread?

What Do Butterfly Cancer Ribbon Tattoos Mean?
What Butterfly Cancer Ribbon Tattoos Mean

Much work has already been done on the Painted Lady genome, and so one choice for a cancer mascot is Vanessa cardui, and the anti-cancer properties of its host plant, Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum). One important developmental; V. cardui gene is Wnt4, and its human equivalents are found in breast, ovarian, lung, and colorectal cancer.

Vanessa cardui
Vanessa cardui - Wikipedia

The Painted Lady Butterfly Life Span
https://simplybutterflies.org/patinted-lady-butterfly-life-cycle/

'Painted Lady, Vanessa cardui.

Occurrence: Extremely generalized; open sunny habitats including waste lots. gardens, grasslands from above timberline to low deserts. Resident in Mexico, and perhaps portions of southwestern United States, frequently migrating through our area. Over much of East, adults show up in April and May, and mature caterpillars appear within a month.

Common Food Plants. Burdock, thistle, and other composites; hollyhock other members of the mallow family; lupine and other legumes preferred; many other low-growing, mostly non-woody plants are used, especially during outbreaks.'
(Wagner, DL, Caterpillars of Eastern North America)

Wagner, however, does not mention an important food plant of V. cardui: Argemone mexicana.

(2018) Anti-Cancer Argemone mexicana (This study is from Saudi Arabia, India, and Australia)
Potentiating Effect of Ethnomedicinal Plants Against Proliferation on Different Cancer Cell Lines. - PubMed - NCBI
'....Argemone mexicana shows maximum anti-cancer activity on various cancer cell lines in comparison to other medicinal plants.'

Michael Larsen has a butterfly ranch and has been rearing lepidoptera for quite some time. The webpage can be retrieved from the net.

Badger2, thanks for telling me about Michael Larsen's butterfly ranch. My search engine located the Texas Butterfly Ranch, and the website is run by Monika Maeckle who on the "about" page said: So, where is the Texas Butterfly Ranch? Answer: the geographic collective of Austin, San Antonio and the Hill Country. Link:
texasbutterflyranch
I found this butterfly photograph of a unique butterfly of San Antonio, sitting on a "Cowpen Daisy"

IMG_3521-1024x1024-e1549157839106.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't find Michael Larsen there. I also ran his name through my search engine. There must be 100 people named Michael Larsen in the USA who posted their picture online at one time or another. I have no idea which one he is. Did he write a book? Oh, I did find a man on a horse who was dressed like a rancher...

It took an hour to create this post, and I still haven't found the specie name. If I find its name I before my time runs out to edit, I will try to publish it.

The photo above seems to be a Bordered Patch Butterfly, Chlosyne lacinia and its host plant is Cowpen Daisy, Verbesina enselioides. Transcribing the URL of Michael Larsen's webpage did not work but should be retrievable 'simplybutterflies.org.'

The photo above seems to be a Bordered Patch Butterfly, Chlosyne lacinia and its host plant is Cowpen Daisy, Verbesina enselioides. Transcribing the URL of Michael Larsen's webpage did not work but should be retrievable 'simplybutterflies.org.'
Thanks, badger2! I just now found it's name, Chlosyne lacinia, but not its common name which you furnished. I haven't seen one like it that I can recall around here, but what an amazing pair of wings it has, and oh, I figured that picture I brought from the Texas Butterfly Center was on its ear, so I fixed it below by simple taking it to edit, rotating 90 degrees to the left. So it's off to Mr. Hansen's webpage at Butterfly Information Hub Home - Simply Butterflies . Thanks so much for all the information, and I'm especially happy you knew the name of the butterfly. Apparently it is one in a tetrarch of cousins. :D

Bordered Patch Butterfly
Chlosyne lacinia
upload_2019-4-6_19-47-37.png

Michael Larsen has a butterfly ranch and has been rearing lepidoptera for quite some time. The webpage can be retrieved from the net.
Thanks to you for sending the butterfly link, and I found the link to Michael's page here: Michael Larsen, Author at Simply Butterflies
He's a young man and the author of this beautiful website! I've never seen someone that young so dedicated to delivering information about lepidoptera. Thanks for being so dedicated to the knowledge of butterflies yourself, badger2. I really appreciate it.

Forum List

Back