Let's Talk Key West!

I LOVE the Keys! My favourite place in Florida!

Go to Truman's House.

And Hemingway House.

Tour the cemetery. It's interesting to see the tombs above ground. If you are really into the macabre, a guy lived in a tomb with a dead girl for years. It's pretty creepy.

There was a butterfly exhibit when I was last there ~5 years ago. Your girls might like that.

Lots of street fare downtown in Key West during the evening.

The key deer are on Big Pine Key. When we were there, they were everywhere. Oh, and when the signs say Speed Limit 30 because of the key deer, they mean it. They will ticket you if you are speeding.

Bahia Honda has the nicest beach.

Lignumvitae Key is a neat diversion if you are into the nature thing.

Drive over the Seven Mile Bridge. That's pretty cool.

Pigeon Key is a good place for education about the Keys.

There is a dolphin place somewhere in the Keys. I think your girls can swim there. I can't remember where it is, however. It may be in the Upper Keys.

The last time I was in the Keys, it was August, and it was hot! hot! hot! Take lots of water, hats and sunscreen.

Oh and the Mel Fisher Museum is very interesting too.

Yeah, damnit - I regret not seeing that while we were there.

We actually own one of the authentic Gold coins from the Atocha, you can buy them there with verification papers and everything... Must be worth a lot more these days too, though I would never sell it. It's in a safety deposit box and we plan on handing it down to our son, he thinks it is sooo cool!

h1473.o.jpg

Last edited:
Echo, I don't know what your feelings are on this but you should be aware that the "gay lifestyle" is very much on display in Key West.

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Echo, I don't know what your feelings are on this but you should be aware that the "gay lifestyle" is very much on display in Key West.

I love the gays! We are a tolerent family, live and let live is our motto.

Can't wait to go to Key West, but like I said, the only thing that worries me is the HEAT at that time of the year.

I wonder if they really sell 100 SPF Sunscreen? The girls and I are all blondes with blue eyes, prone to sunburns if we're not careful.

So many fun things to do done there from the sounds of it, thanks again everyone!

Can't wait to go to Key West, but like I said, the only thing that worries me is the HEAT at that time of the year.

I wonder if they really sell 100 SPF Sunscreen? The girls and I are all blondes with blue eyes, prone to sunburns if we're not careful.

So many fun things to do done there from the sounds of it, thanks again everyone!

Good motto!

Yeah, you'd better slather on the sunscreen otherwise you'll burn to a crisp.

But quite often they'll be a brief afternoon shower that will cool things down a bit.

If you love fishing, diving, and snorkeling you'll love the keys. For the landlubber, Key West is the only place that offers anything of interest. Most people I know that just drive down the keys without spending time on the water think it's a waste of time. But if you love going out in the ocean, there's no better place in the US.

For snorkeling and diving, the Atlantic side is best. IMHO Islamorada and Marathon are better than Key West. For the novice, John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo is the place. It's an underwater park with easily accessible reefs offering snorkeling and driving trips and glass bottom tours.

A trip to Fort Jefferson is interesting. It's day trip by air.

Half and full day fishing as well deep sea fishing trips are available in all the major towns in the Keys.

Take lot's of sun protection. You can get a terrible burn in a short period of time. Always where a tee shirt when your snorkeling. It's always very hot in sun, but can be rather pleasant in the shade due to the offshore breezes hitting the islands.

Have Fun

By pure coincidence (honest!) we stumbled onto Fantasy Fest.

When we first moved to Florida, I was in Palm Beach for a conference, and we decided to go down to the Keys afterwards. Figuring it was October and its the low season everywhere else in Florida, we thought we'd get a room, no problem. First place we stop at is some mediocre motel and they quote us a rate of $150 a night. Holy ****! We had no idea about this Fantasy Fest thing. We couldn't find a room. We would up finding a spartan but clean place in Marathon and commuted back and forth to Key West. My son was 18 months old, and when we were at Fantasy Fest, people put beads on his neck as he walked by. We have the cutest picture of him framed on our wall from that time. He was even on TV as the local news show broadcasted him dancing in the street! Way cool.

Being fair skinned and having spent a lot of time in the keys, I suggest you always wear a shirt during the day, even when you're swimming and take along a very thin long shelve shirt. You'll need it after a few hours in the sun. Get a sun hat with a wide brim the covers your ears as well as your face. Remember, the sun reflects from water so you'll get some sun even when you are wearing a hat. Also don't forget sun glasses. The glare can be intense. And they ain't no cure for sunburn!

Here you go, EZ. Get yourself some zinc oxide and smear it all over your face. You can spot the tourists in Key West by their sun burns. All the natives walk around looking like this:

April05Sunscreen225.jpg

We are going there late July. I've never been to Florida in the summer, let alone that far south.

What's the weather like that time of the year down there? Are the bugs and critters bad? Do I need to stock up on bug spray and SPF 80 lotion?

What kind of fun things have you done there? There will be 2 adults and 2 girls, ages 16, and one boy, age 18. So family fun ideas are needed too. Thanks!

Eat at the conch republic restaurant..Yummy!
Visit Mell fishers museum!!! I love it!!!
Hemingway's home is fun.... the cats are great.
Watch out for the chickens and roster crossing the streets! LMAO
If you love coconut dont miss Henryetta's art of baking.... the coconut strips are the BOMB!!
Stone crabs will not come into season until Oct 15th....:(
You must have the grouper though!!! Try it in a sandwich.

It will be hot and muggy!!! I too love the drive on the over seas highway. I prefer the drive at sunrise...its just beautiful. You can stop on a few of the smaller islands along the way.

Have fun!.

Oh and the Mel Fisher Museum is very interesting too.

Yeah, damnit - I regret not seeing that while we were there.

We actually own one of the authentic Gold coins from the Atocha, you can buy them there with verification papers and everything... Must be worth a lot more these days too, though I would never sell it. It's in a safety deposit box and we plan on handing it down to our son, he thinks it is sooo cool!

h1473.o.jpg

Me too! Not a gold piece though...just a piece of 8. I also got earnings made from Atocha silver...bought them at mell fishers. Cool stuff isnt it?

I've read the first page only so if someone has already mentioned the Mel Fisher Museum, I'll shut up now.
As you probably know, the late Fisher was a treasure hunter who found Nuestra Señora de Atocha with it's billions in gold silver and emeralds off the Dry Tortugas, about 60 miles west of Key West.
The museum holds silver and gold ingots gold chains and decorative stuff and a bunch of emeralds recovered from the wreck site.
There are 2 gift shops. The one in front sells stuff like rubber sharks and the one in back, $300,000 gold chains.
Definitely worth a couple hours.

The Hemingway house is a must too. Pay attention to the cat watering trougth when you take the guided tour. Hell of a story behind that.

We are going there late July. I've never been to Florida in the summer, let alone that far south.

What's the weather like that time of the year down there? Are the bugs and critters bad? Do I need to stock up on bug spray and SPF 80 lotion?

What kind of fun things have you done there? There will be 2 adults and 2 girls, ages 16, and one boy, age 18. So family fun ideas are needed too. Thanks!

Drinks LOTS of water. #1 mistake people who aren't used to the summer heat down here do.

Drinks LOTS of water. #1 mistake people who aren't used to the summer heat down here do.
Yes! And beer is not water. There are several places down town that have misters. They spray a fine mist of water and you can spend a few minutes there to cool off. Bring a bathing suit! You will want to swim in both the Atlantic and Caribbean. You can walk from one to the other without your suit getting dry. Para-sailing if you're adventurous and the tranny review is hilarious. If you can post while down there, you could go to sloppy Joe's and stand in front of the web cam at a prearranged time so we can share in the fun.

OOOOHHHHHH

One thing not to forget is that the biggest way key west makes money is off of the rent cars!!.... watch your self when you park. Tickets and towing is a way of life!!!

Well, thank you ALL for your tips and ideas.

But.........now we have decided to go to Siesta Key. The kids schedule's, yada yada,,,anyway, I used to go there as a kid/teen with my family, so I'm excited to go back again after all of these years. We'll be flying into Tampa and then renting a car to drive to places, such as Disney World, Bush Gardens, etc.

Can't wait!

*We are going to go to Key West, but make it in the winter time.

EZ, It will be very hot. I should say the sun will be strong as hell. Being in the Keys you will get some relief from the plagues of mainland Florida. The oppresive heat and humidity, the bugs. It will be hot, but it's more an intense sun. You have ocean breezes that keep the humidity down and bugs away.

Treasure hunting is big down there and there are a lot of great museum with the haul. Snorkeling and diving opportunities are abundant. Lot's of great swimming too.

Well, thank you ALL for your tips and ideas.

But.........now we have decided to go to Siesta Key. The kids schedule's, yada yada,,,anyway, I used to go there as a kid/teen with my family, so I'm excited to go back again after all of these years. We'll be flying into Tampa and then renting a car to drive to places, such as Disney World, Bush Gardens, etc.

Can't wait!

*We are going to go to Key West, but make it in the winter time.

Slightly different story. You'll have access for more things to do from Siesta Key. But the things yuo'll be doing are going to be in the hot and humid mainland. In July, the heat will be oppressive and it's going to make you feel tired. Drink lots of water, cause you'll be sweating a lot out.

Forum List

Back