Libs calling fl divorce reform 'anti woman'

California has been doing that for years! In most cases (not all but most) spousal support lasts for approximately one half the length of the marriage.

Here in Washington State there is no alimony, only child support. Me? I think there should be alimony especially for a spouse who gave up working to make a home be he man or woman. Once you are out of the workforce, you have lost experience and income that you will never make up. The one who gave up working should be compensated for the time they lost in the workforce, at least pay for them to get retrained and support them until they can get a job and support themselves.

Here in Washington State there is no alimony, only child support. Me? I think there should be alimony especially for a spouse who gave up working to make a home be he man or woman. Once you are out of the workforce, you have lost experience and income that you will never make up. The one who gave up working should be compensated for the time they lost in the workforce, at least pay for them to get retrained and support them until they can get a job and support themselves.

You are wrong. There is no way to sugar coat it either.

Divorce Support - Washington Spousal Support/Maintenance/Alimony Factors

In Washington the support payments (if any) can certainly influence how the marital property distribution is awarded, which is why it can become a very intricate part of the final outcome of any divorce. Keeping this in mind, if you and your spouse are unable to reach and agreement on this issue, the Family Court will order support from one spouse to the other on a case-by-case basis as follows:

The court will consider all relevant factors, excluding marital misconduct, including but not limited to: (1) The financial resources and assets of the party seeking maintenance; (2) The time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the party seeking maintenance to find employment appropriate to his skill, interests, style of life, and other attendant circumstances; (3) The standard of living established while married; (4) The length of the marriage; (5) The age and health condition, and financial obligations of the spouse seeking maintenance; and (6) The ability of the spouse from whom maintenance is sought to meet his needs and financial obligations while meeting those of the spouse seeking maintenance. (Revised Code of Washington - Title 26 - Chapters: 26.09.050, 26.09.090, 26.09.120)

In Washington the support payments (if any) can certainly influence how the marital property distribution is awarded, which is why it can become a very intricate part of the final outcome of any divorce. Keeping this in mind, if you and your spouse are unable to reach and agreement on this issue, the Family Court will order support from one spouse to the other on a case-by-case basis as follows:

The court will consider all relevant factors, excluding marital misconduct, including but not limited to: (1) The financial resources and assets of the party seeking maintenance; (2) The time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the party seeking maintenance to find employment appropriate to his skill, interests, style of life, and other attendant circumstances; (3) The standard of living established while married; (4) The length of the marriage; (5) The age and health condition, and financial obligations of the spouse seeking maintenance; and (6) The ability of the spouse from whom maintenance is sought to meet his needs and financial obligations while meeting those of the spouse seeking maintenance. (Revised Code of Washington - Title 26 - Chapters: 26.09.050, 26.09.090, 26.09.120)

Well, it's not the first time I've been wrong. Maybe things have changed? I don't know where I got the information that there was no alimony in WA state.

Well, it's not the first time I've been wrong. Maybe things have changed? I don't know where I got the information that there was no alimony in WA state.

I did my first Washington state divorce over 20 years ago. But, I'll bet that you got that idea because you knew someone, or knew someone who knew someone, that had a crap attorney or worse, filed it themselves to save a buck and got nothing. In order to cover up the crap job, they said that Washington state prohibited spousal support. It's called spousal support by the way, not alimony.

I know plenty of women in California who ended up paying spousal support to their ex husbands. There was one famous case where the husband had actually raped his wife and the judge still ruled that while he was in jail, she had to pay him spousal support.

I know plenty of women in California who ended up paying spousal support to their ex husbands. There was one famous case where the husband had actually raped his wife and the judge still ruled that while he was in jail, she had to pay him spousal support.

Yep. She probably out earned him. Although she should not have had to pay him anything while he was in prison. His maintenance was pretty low.

Yep. She probably out earned him. Although she should not have had to pay him anything while he was in prison. His maintenance was pretty low.

She doesn't have to pay until he gets out but check this out. It's pretty screwed up. she had to pay his legal fees.

"There was no happy ending for the marriage between Shawn and Crystal Harris, a couple from the San Diego area. It ended in divorce after he was convicted of sexually assaulting her and sentenced to six years in prison. One attack was caught on tape.

"He also choked me, beat me and threatened to kill me, all while our two pre-school age boys were awake upstairs," said Crystal.

Crystal, a successful financial analyst, recounted to lawmakers the horrible night that happened four years ago, hoping they'll change the law. A family court judge ordered Crystal to pay her ex-husband $1,000 per month in alimony upon his release, plus $47,000 in attorney fees."

She doesn't have to pay until he gets out but check this out. It's pretty screwed up. she had to pay his legal fees.

"There was no happy ending for the marriage between Shawn and Crystal Harris, a couple from the San Diego area. It ended in divorce after he was convicted of sexually assaulting her and sentenced to six years in prison. One attack was caught on tape.

"He also choked me, beat me and threatened to kill me, all while our two pre-school age boys were awake upstairs," said Crystal.

Crystal, a successful financial analyst, recounted to lawmakers the horrible night that happened four years ago, hoping they'll change the law. A family court judge ordered Crystal to pay her ex-husband $1,000 per month in alimony upon his release, plus $47,000 in attorney fees."

I remember this case! She's been trying to get the law changed. She should have had him charged with attempted murder. Then she wouldn't have had to pay a cent.

She is winning though.

Harris is working with California State Assemblywoman Toni Atkins to change the California Family Code that allowed a judge to order her to pay spousal support to her ex-husband, Shawn Harris. The current law only prevents spousal support in cases in which a spouse is convicted of attempted murder or soliciting the murder of a spouse. Last week Atkins introduced AB1522, a bill that amends the law to include violent sex felonies.

Read more: Rape victim ordered to pay her attacker

If this bill passes, Atkins tells HLN's Vinne Politan, the law wouldn't be retroactive, so it wouldn't affect Crystal's case. But she has a special message for Crystal, "I want to, in particular, thank Crystal Harris for being the person to step forward despite the fact that it may not help her." Atkins adds, "She's really a heroine here to step forward and be willing to be the public face of changing a law so that other victims don't suffer the additional cruelty and the trauma."

Victory for victim who was forced to pay attacker | HLNtv.com

Forum List

Back