Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited.

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited....
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

Anti-gun loons like to repeat this or something similar quite a lot, as if it gives them something to stand on, not understanding the well- and long accepted tenet that all rights have inherent limits and that in the Heller decision, the court merely stated the obvious.

So... what is outside the limits of the right protected by the 2nd amendment?
Why do you think so?

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited....
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

Anti-gun loons like to repeat this or something similar quite a lot, as if it gives them something to stand on, not understanding the well- and long accepted tenet that all rights have inherent limits and that in the Heller decision, the court merely stated the obvious.

So... what is outside the limits of the right protected by the 2nd amendment?
Why do you think so?

Weapons grade nerve gas, botulism spores, nuclear warheads, HE bombs. Lot's of stuff are outside the limits.

Weapons grade nerve gas, botulism spores, nuclear warheads, HE bombs. Lot's of stuff are outside the limits.
None of those are firearms, so fair enough.
Anything else?

If you want to restrict it to firearms, then it would depend upon the state. Fully automatic weapons I believe require special permits. I think sawed off shotguns are still prohibited.

I also believe gun licensing and in some cases weapon type bans are enforced at the state level.

Anything else?
If you want to restrict it to firearms, then it would depend upon the state. Fully automatic weapons I believe require special permits. I think sawed off shotguns are still prohibited.
Do either of these types of firearms lie outside the inherent limits of the right to keep and bear arms as protected by the 2nd?
If so, how?

Anything else?
I also believe gun licensing and in some cases weapon type bans are enforced at the state level.
Are licenses for gun owners and registration for firearms (two sides of the same coin) inherent part of the right to keep and bear arms?
If so, how?

Anything else?
Are licenses for gun owners and registration for firearms (two sides of the same coin) inherent part of the right to keep and bear arms?
If so, how?

If you think felons shouldn't own guns then yeah.

Kind of like voting, it's your right, but you still have to register.

Regulating and licensing rules are the prerogative of the state, which of course can be challenged in court. To suggest some get to run around as a normal citizen with crew served weaponry is ludicrous, even for those with federal fire arms licenses. Use common sense. No one is going to get a missile frigate for the marina.

Anything else?
Do either of these types of firearms lie outside the inherent limits of the right to keep and bear arms as protected by the 2nd?
If so, how?

What do you mean "inherent limits"?

Anything else?
If so, how?
What do you mean "inherent limits"?
All rights have certain, inherent limits.
-The right to own property does not include the right to steal.
-The right to free speech does not include the right to libel, slander, of incite a riot.
-The right to free exercise of religion doe snot include human sacrifices
-The right to keep and bear arms does not include....?

Anything else?
If so, how?
How is the registration of a gun an inherent part of the right to keep and bear arms?
That is, how is registration a necessary part of the exercise of the right, where the right cannot be legitimately exercised without it?

Anything else?
If so, how?
How is the registration of a gun an inherent part of the right to keep and bear arms?
That is, how is registration a necessary part of the exercise of the right, where the right cannot be legitimately exercised without it?
Because We the People say so through our legislatures.

That can be challenged in court.

Anything else?
An individual's 2nd amendment rights can be abridged or removed by law.
Thru due process, like with felons.
That's not really an inherent limit to the right to keep and bear arms, however, as until relatively recently there has been no restriction n felons owning guns.

Forum List

Back