Lois Lerner to take the 5th. Again.

If she comes before Congress again before she says a word I would tell her if she makes a speech or opening statement she has waived her right to plead the fifth.

I've wondered about this. The 5th amendment says no witness can be compelled to testify against himself in court. It doesn't say, "Unless he first starts doing it and then stops and say he doesn't want to any more, then he CAN be compelled to keep talking".

Sounds to me like Lerner can give all the opening speeches she wants, and then clam up and not say a further word, and she is protected for doing so by the 5th.

Any other interpretation of the 5th, as written, seems a lot less likely to me.

She's unquestionably a scumbag who knows where the bodies are buried. But even guilty scumbags are protected by the 5th, like it or not. And creative "interpretations" to change that, are illegal.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on that. You can't come into court, make a statement where you declare your innocence, deny doing anything wrong and THEN invoke protection under the 5th Amendment. That's having your legal cake and eating it too.

The president obstructs a congressional investigation into operation Fast/Furious (Border Patrol agent killed)and the A.G. dodges testimony, the ass't CIA director allegedly misled an investigation into Benghazi (US ambassador and three others killed) and other Obama appointees like Lerner take the 5th instead of testifying. Could this happen in any other administration if the media was doing it's job? Nixon was out on his ear for a 3rd rate burglary.

That's having your legal cake and eating it too.

You're right, that's exactly what it is.

And the 5th amendment says, exactly, that you CAN do that.

You can clam up any time and refuse to say anything more, on grounds that it might incriminate you, and no one can compel you to do otherwise. No matter what you said five minutes ago.

Last edited:
If she comes before Congress again before she says a word I would tell her if she makes a speech or opening statement she has waived her right to plead the fifth.

I've wondered about this. The 5th amendment says no witness can be compelled to testify against himself in court. It doesn't say, "Unless he first starts doing it and then stops and say he doesn't want to any more, then he CAN be compelled to keep talking".

Sounds to me like Lerner can give all the opening speeches she wants, and then clam up and not say a further word, and she is protected for doing so by the 5th.

She's unquestionably a scumbag who knows where the bodies are buried. But even guilty scumbags are protected by the 5th, like it or not. And creative "interpretations" to change that, are illegal.
Pretty good. The best advice, don't say a word, ever. Those out to get you will use whatever you say against you.

They will probably give her immunity from prosecution and take her testimony in secret session. Sucks, but she can't be forced to testify against herself. They might then be able to go after her boss or whoever conspired with her. And, they can still prosecute her if she lies under oath when she does testify and they have evidence that she is lying.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on that. You can't come into court, make a statement where you declare your innocence, deny doing anything wrong and THEN invoke protection under the 5th Amendment. That's having your legal cake and eating it too.
1. It's not a courtroom.

2. Lerner was asked if she wanted to make an opening statement.

There's no doubt she's a lying bitch, just like her bosses Hillary and Barry!

President GW Bush was the one who appointed her to her most recent position.

IRS Scandal?s Central Figure, Lois Lerner, Described as ?Apolitical? - The Daily Beast

That tired old bromide: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Get a life.

Truth hurts? I tell you what, I'll stop bringing up the consequences of Bushes policies and decisions when the Rabid Right stops trying to equivocate everything President Obama does into one of President Bushes gigantic fuckups, K?

Pretty good. The best advice, don't say a word, ever. Those out to get you will use whatever you say against you.

Why am I not surprised that litte Housepainter, who joined this forum one week ago today and has already posted more than 1,000 posts on it defending the Obamanites' incompetence and lawbreaking, is the first to praise my post pointing out that even liars and scumbags like Lois Lerner have 5th amendment rights?

BTW, the best advice is NOT "don't say a word". The best advice is, "Obey the law, it's there for a reason".

But I somehow doubt that little Housepainter supports that at all.
I have no issues with obeying the law, for the most part, but that's not what we were discussing.

I'd try to divert the subject from "obeying the law", too, if I were you. It's the thing the Obamanites want to talk about LEAST. :eek:

Last edited:
The president obstructs a congressional investigation into operation Fast/Furious (Border Patrol agent killed)and the A.G. dodges testimony, the ass't CIA director allegedly misled an investigation into Benghazi (US ambassador and three others killed) and other Obama appointees like Lerner take the 5th instead of testifying. Could this happen in any other administration if the media was doing it's job? Nixon was out on his ear for a 3rd rate burglary.

There was no presidential obstruction of a congressional investigation. You Benghazi truthers are a hoot. Lerner was appointed by Bush not Obama. Nixon resigned in disgrace for what the plumbers got caught doing in a host of other areas besides braking into the Democrats National Headquarters at the Watergate Hotel.

IRS Scandal?s Central Figure, Lois Lerner, Described as ?Apolitical? - The Daily Beast

Get a life.

Truth hurts? I tell you what, I'll stop bringing up the consequences of Bushes policies and decisions when the Rabid Right stops trying to equivocate everything President Obama does into one of President Bushes gigantic fuckups, K?

Hmmm, was she reporting to Bush when she told IRS agents to target conservative groups? Did Bush tell her to do that?

Get a life.

It's actually the Left that responds to every criticism of Obama with "but BOOSH".
Let's face it: Lerner was under pressure to hound Tea party groups by the Obama political apparatus, which has taken up residence in the White House. Whether Obama gave the order directly or his subordinates inferred it and carried out what they thought he wanted is irrelevant. People need to go to jail. Just like they did in Watergate when Nixon didnt know about the bugging but did take part int he cover up afterwards.

There was no presidential obstruction of a congressional investigation. You Benghazi truthers are a hoot. Lerner was appointed by Bush not Obama. Nixon resigned in disgrace for what the plumbers got caught doing in a host of other areas besides braking into the Democrats National Headquarters at the Watergate Hotel.

and clinton was impeached for disgracing the oval office by having sex with an intern and then lying under oath about it.

whats your point?

Judith Miller took your advice.

Judith Miller - Reporter, New York Times (formerly)

Jailed for 85 days after refusing to testify about her source before the grand jury, New York Times reporter Judith Miller never wrote about Valerie Plame's role as a CIA operative. She eventually testified that Libby talked to her about Plame on three separate occasions before the Novak column publicly identified Plame as a covert CIA operative. In the days since her release Miller has said that she initially refused to testify because she believed Libby did not want her to cooperate in the CIA leak investigation unless her account would clear him.

There has been nothing but obstruction. Justice was supposed to hand over memos and they havent.
Lerner was a career bureaucrat, not an appointee. And she carried out Obama's orders, which were illegal.

Why am I not surprised that litte Housepainter, who joined this forum one week ago today and has already posted more than 1,000 posts on it defending the Obamanites' incompetence and lawbreaking, is the first to praise my post pointing out that even liars and scumbags like Lois Lerner have 5th amendment rights?

BTW, the best advice is NOT "don't say a word". The best advice is, "Obey the law, it's there for a reason".

But I somehow doubt that little Housepainter supports that at all.
I have no issues with obeying the law, for the most part, but that's not what we were discussing.

I'd try to divert the subject from "obeying the law", too, if I were you. It's the thing the Obamanites want to talk about LEAST. :eek:
The laws apply to everyone little friend but politics is still politics and partisans are still partisans. I prefer to call a spade a spade.

Forum List

Back