Lois Lerner to take the 5th. Again.

Follow up: do people here know what the Founders thought it so important to include the 5th Amendment in the Bill of Rights?
I would be that's a no. They usually stop at the Second.

I'm not surprised that you carefully forget who has answered that question twice already, in this thread alone.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/343199-lois-lerner-to-take-the-5th-again-4.html#post8714284

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/343199-lois-lerner-to-take-the-5th-again-3.html#post8714233

As usual, little Housepainter tries to lie and denigrate his opponents... and is proven wrong yet again.

Last edited:
I've wondered about this. The 5th amendment says no witness can be compelled to testify against himself in court. It doesn't say, "Unless he first starts doing it and then stops and say he doesn't want to any more, then he CAN be compelled to keep talking".

Sounds to me like Lerner can give all the opening speeches she wants, and then clam up and not say a further word, and she is protected for doing so by the 5th.

Any other interpretation of the 5th, as written, seems a lot less likely to me.

She's unquestionably a scumbag who knows where the bodies are buried. But even guilty scumbags are protected by the 5th, like it or not. And creative "interpretations" to change that, are illegal.
Pretty good. The best advice, don't say a word, ever. Those out to get you will use whatever you say against you.

They will probably give her immunity from prosecution and take her testimony in secret session. Sucks, but she can't be forced to testify against herself. They might then be able to go after her boss or whoever conspired with her. And, they can still prosecute her if she lies under oath when she does testify and they have evidence that she is lying.
If she is offered immunity, she will either testify, or face jail time! What she says will be known, because it will implement the administration - using the IRS to go after your opponets is a Chicago tactic!

You are free to wonder, and she has a right to do so.

And she can be held in contempt and put in jail until she changes her tune.
Could happen, but it usually doesn't. Contempt of Congress doesn't go very far, especially since nearly all of us hold them in contempt for not doing their jobs.

Curious....

As a citizen, business owner and taxpayer.......would you like to hear what she has to say?

Now...don't answer with "she doesn't have to"...or..."I have no say in it"...

I get it.

But if you COULD make her talk....would you?

OTOH, the ONLY grounds you have for refusing to answer questions, according to the 5th amendment, is that the answers might incriminate you.

If the prosecutors formally agree in court that you will not be prosecuted for what you say (aka "give you immunity"), then that satisfies the 5th amendment's requirement. And then they CAN compel you to testify, and can throw you in jail for contempt of court if you don't.

My guess is, Lerner will go this way. She's protecting her own @ss, not Obama's. Once hers is secure from prosecution, Obama's is toast.

If she is offered immunity, she will either testify, or face jail time! What she says will be known, because it will implement the administration - using the IRS to go after your opponets is a Chicago tactic!

Not just a Chicago tactic.

neo-neocon » Blog Archive » Using the IRS against political enemies: Nixon vs. Obama

Using the IRS against political enemies: Nixon vs. Obama

Since the IRS scandal broke, you see it almost everywhere: statements that Nixon used the IRS to target enemies, often coupled with a claim that what he did was worse than what the IRS has been up to lately.

In fact, Article 2 of the impeachment charges drawn up against Nixon involved the IRS, although he resigned before he was ever impeached and thus the merits of the accusations were never heard.

Last edited:
OTOH, the ONLY grounds you have for refusing to answer questions, according to the 5th amendment, is that the answers might incriminate you.

If the prosecutors formally agree in court that you will not be prosecuted for what you say (aka "give you immunity"), then that satisfies the 5th amendment's requirement. And then they CAN compel you to testify, and can throw you in jail for contempt of court if you don't.

My guess is, Lerner will go this way. She's protecting her own @ss, not Obama's. Once hers is secure from prosecution, Obama's is toast.

My point, Acorn was that you can't selectively invoke your 5th Amendment rights on a topic that you've already testified to. If that weren't the case then a witness could testify...then refuse to be cross examined by invoking their 5th Amendment rights. If allowed, that would totally undermine our system of justice...which is what Trey Gowdy was referring to when he claimed that Ms. Lerner had no right to claim the 5th after giving specific testimony in which she stated that she had broken no laws and done nothing wrong.

My point, Acorn was that you can't selectively invoke your 5th Amendment rights on a topic that you've already testified to. If that weren't the case then a witness could testify...then refuse to be cross examined by invoking their 5th Amendment rights. If allowed, that would totally undermine our system of justice...which is what Trey Gowdy was referring to when he claimed that Ms. Lerner had no right to claim the 5th after giving specific testimony in which she stated that she had broken no laws and done nothing wrong.

And Gowdy is 100% correct.

At that point she should have been held in contempt of congress and stripped of her responsibilities to the tax payer and all income associated with it.

And she can be held in contempt and put in jail until she changes her tune.
Could happen, but it usually doesn't. Contempt of Congress doesn't go very far, especially since nearly all of us hold them in contempt for not doing their jobs.

Curious....

As a citizen, business owner and taxpayer.......would you like to hear what she has to say?

I get it.

Make her talk, no, but I would like to know the truth, always.

Pretty good. The best advice, don't say a word, ever. Those out to get you will use whatever you say against you.

They will probably give her immunity from prosecution and take her testimony in secret session. Sucks, but she can't be forced to testify against herself. They might then be able to go after her boss or whoever conspired with her. And, they can still prosecute her if she lies under oath when she does testify and they have evidence that she is lying.
So offer her immunity and see what she has to say.

Curious....

I get it.

That was a non answer...

I ask again....

If you had your choice....would you like to know what she knows?

And she will do nothing less than lie....take the blame herself at no consequences....and via executive order, receive her hefty pension......

No. You can not give her immunity.

She voluntarily waived her 5th amendment right and now she is to testify.

Curious....

I get it.

That was a non answer...

I ask again....

That was not an non-answer, as I said, I always seek the truth no matter what. It's my nature. If you want to know what she knows, offer her immunity. That's the deal she's cutting.

And she will do nothing less than lie....take the blame herself at no consequences....and via executive order, receive her hefty pension......

That's the risk you take now isn't it? If the legal system is working correctly, some of the guilty go free. If it isn't, the innocent end up in the electric chair.

That was a non answer...

I ask again....

That was not an non-answer, as I said, I always seek the truth no matter what. It's my nature. If you want to know what she knows, offer her immunity. That's the deal she's cutting.

Why are you avoiding answering my question?

Saying you want to know the truth is not the same as saying "yes, I want to hear what she has to say"

Would you like to know what she knows?

That's the risk you take now isn't it? If the legal system is working correctly, some of the guilty go free. If it isn't, the innocent end up in the electric chair.

She voluntarily waived her right to the 5th.

No reason to offer her immunity....

So no, that is NOT the risk we have to take.

She voluntarily waived her right to the 5th.

No reason to offer her immunity....

So no, that is NOT the risk we have to take.
Could you perhaps show where this happened?

Follow up: do people here know what the Founders thought it so important to include the 5th Amendment in the Bill of Rights?
I would be that's a no. They usually stop at the Second.

I'm not surprised that you carefully forget who has answered that question twice already, in this thread alone.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/343199-lois-lerner-to-take-the-5th-again-4.html#post8714284

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/343199-lois-lerner-to-take-the-5th-again-3.html#post8714233

As usual, little Housepainter tries to lie and denigrate his opponents... and is proven wrong yet again.
Jesus said pray for your enemies. I'm not Jesus, he was kind of dumb about such things.

And if you or others responded, I missed it so no lie there. I don't read every post, I don't have time for that.

That was a non answer...

I ask again....

Saying you want to know the truth is not the same as saying "yes, I want to hear what she has to say"

Actually I don't care very much, politics as usual etc., but if she speaks I'm sure I'll pick up on it. I read a lot of right-wing websites and they are all excited about her, which usually means there is no there there these days.

Actually I don't care very much, politics as usual etc., but if she speaks I'm sure I'll pick up on it. I read a lot of right-wing websites and they are all excited about her, which usually means there is no there there these days.

Funny...I knew you would answer it like that.

LMAO....blame the right wing......why not?

Its easy.

You sir, are an ass and no longer worthy of my time.

Cya.

Funny...I knew you would answer it like that.

LMAO....blame the right wing......why not?

Its easy.

You sir, are an ass and no longer worthy of my time.

Cya.
No skin off of my nose little buddy. I stopped counting what was supposed to be the end of Obama at 100.

Forum List

Back