"macgyver" this thread

out of Hepa filters. I take my vaccuum cleaner's hepa filter outside, tap it vigourously until all solids are dislodged. Then I soak it in a pail of warm soapy water for 30 min+/- and rinse it well with the garden hose. I let mine air dry for at least 24 hrs. It has to be completely dry. Even "unwashable" hepa filters can be cleaned. Find a dyi site on the internet with directions that suit your model.

What the heck is a "hepa filter"?

I could Google it, of course, but I prefer to give you the satisfaction of telling us what it is. :thup:

High-efficiency particulate air filters. Most modern vacuum cleaners and air filtration systems utilize one kind of hepa or another. They remove very fine dust particles, smoke particulates, bacteria etc. And I think the best ones actually remove viruses from circulation. You have undoubtedly at least one or two in your house. My cheap vacuum cleaner requires a 22 dollar replacement filter.

>

So we're flying along at about 23,000 feet on a combined training mission off the coat of San Diego in an E-2 Hawkeye when the RADAR craps out.

I start going through my checks as the IFT (In-flight Tech), RADAR Power up - Check, Breakers in - Check, COMO timing - Check, Modulator Pulse - Check, Power Amp output - down. So I go forward and check the fault panel and there is a cooling pump interlock fault. I go back and inform "Doc" the IFT instructor on the flight and he looks at me and says "I didn't do it, the Bears are inbound to the fleet - what ya going to do?" and then gives me the Spock one eyebrow lift (which is pretty impressive in a helmet). (Bears being the NATO name for Russian Tupolev Tu-95 long range bombers/reconnaissance aircraft.)

I go back and stare at the fault panel for a minute thinking, then step over to the pump itself. There are (well were) three interlocks on the APS-96 Search RADAR cooling pump: Over temp, under pressure, and over pressure. If it's over temp you are screwed there is nothing to do. So there is a about a 3/4 rod that extends out from the reservoir to indicate the servicing level. I push repeatedly on the rod and nothing, I pull on the rod and the fault light flickers. OK, I've got an overpressure situation. The ground maintenance procedure is to totally bleed the system and refill as probably there is a gas bubble trapped somewhere in the lines. Pop the servicing port open and release some contents. Only liquid comes out, no air - if it's gas it's in the lines and not the reservoir.

I take the bootlaces out of one of by flight boots and tie one end off to the end of the service indicator rod, taking the other end I slip it through the door handle directly across from the pump. Ya, the space is pretty narrow inside the airplane. Pulling on the rod and applying as much pressure as I can I get the interlock to clear and then tie off the bootlace through the handle to keep outward pressure on the rod.

I go back and take my seat to bring the system fully back on line and Doc just gives me a nod, the flight goes on and we complete the mission.

I was feeling pretty good about my ingenuity, during the post-flight debrief Doc said "Nice move with the shoelace, the rest of us through usually carry about 10 feet of clothes line so our boots don't fall off if we have to bailout." (i.e. if there were an emergency.) I get redfaced for not having rope in my bag already.

That was a Macgyver moment.

>>>>

Last edited:
out of Hepa filters. I take my vaccuum cleaner's hepa filter outside, tap it vigourously until all solids are dislodged. Then I soak it in a pail of warm soapy water for 30 min+/- and rinse it well with the garden hose. I let mine air dry for at least 24 hrs. It has to be completely dry. Even "unwashable" hepa filters can be cleaned. Find a dyi site on the internet with directions that suit your model.

What the heck is a "hepa filter"?

I could Google it, of course, but I prefer to give you the satisfaction of telling us what it is. :thup:

High-efficiency particulate air filters. Most modern vacuum cleaners and air filtration systems utilize one kind of hepa or another. They remove very fine dust particles, smoke particulates, bacteria etc. And I think the best ones actually remove viruses from circulation. You have undoubtedly at least one or two in your house. My cheap vacuum cleaner requires a 22 dollar replacement filter.

The same thing will work for your cabin filter or your car's air intake filter.

Clean the filter on regular intervals and it will make quite a difference.