Maine Senate passes bill giving state's electoral votes to national popular vote winner

If that's what the Dem party NEEDS to have to turn our REPRESENTATIVE Democracy into a "majority rules" "fuck everyone else" one party system -- they will need to go thru the amendment process to the Constitution and PROPERLY DISPOSE OF the Electoral College...

You are talking about people that don't understand the intrinsic value in owning a piece of crap junker you can drive anywhere you want, any time you want, versus a monthly $300 rail pass that tells you where you can go, when you can go there, and that at the end of the month you don't own crap but an expired rail pass.

Marxism 101

What matters is that states cannot PRESCRIBE voting rules like that to their electors in the Electoral College.

The legality of faithless electors is really an aside. The EC currently works by each candidate submitting a list of electors (who can be expected to vote for said candidate). The election determines whose list becomes the electors for the state. This proposal in Maine is no different, except that Maine will use the nationwide popular vote results to determine whose list becomes the state's electors. For the record, I don't endorse this method at all. But it's horseshit to claim that it's voter suppression, and it's horseshit to claim it's unconstitutional.

It has been explained t you in crystal clear terms why it is voter disenfranchisement and unConstitutional! What part do you do not understand? Simply saying what has been explained to you is not true doesn't fly! Tell us why you don't understand!

No it does not contravene Roe V Wade. It's just another state with a limitation on abortion. All RVW did was say women had a right to access to abortion. It's up to each state to decide WHEN.

It most certainly does. In effect it makes Roe illegal. By limiting the RIGHT so narrowly to health of the mother I believe you will see a challenge by pro choice groups based denial of access. I mean the state could continue with this reasoning and say only on Tuesdays....then only ever other month.....then only if three Doctors agree....

Once again I tell you that I'm fine if the law stands but I am quite sure it cannot stand together with Roe. One of them has to go. That might be the whole point in fact.

Jo

Last edited:
Constitutionally states can apportion their electoral votes in any way they see fit

And liberal states clearly want to disregard their own voters.

May as well just say “all of our electoral votes will go the same way illegals in CA and NY vote”.

Will end up in court. Definitely a Constitutional issue.
No it isn't. States rights.

No.... The state has the right to present the electoral votes anyway they like. The feds are under no obligation to accept them in an improper form.

It will be overturned... And quickly too I imagine.

Jo
Wait, are you saying the fee will refuse to accept the electoral votes from a state if they don't like the way they are arrived at?

I don't think that's true.

What a moron.

States Rights only exist in the context where they can define things not otherwise addresses in the constitution.

The Electoral College is specifically defined.

Sorry Dummy.

The Constitution gives state legislatures the right to choose how presidential electors are chosen.

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/national-popular-vote-explained

Sounds to me like a perverted form of voter suppression....no matter how the state votes its legislature gives its electoral votes to the person who at the end of voting wins the popular vote throughout the entire country....also sounds like a strong SCOTUS issue!

Maine's lawmakers passed a bill that would give the state's electoral votes to the presidential candidate who won the national popular vote, taking a step toward becoming the 15th state to enact such a law. The Maine Senate voted 19-16 Tuesday to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which would give all committed states' electoral votes to the winning popular vote candidate should the group accrue the 270 votes necessary for a majority.

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state and the District of Columbia have all committed to the pact. The most recent addition, New Mexico, put the total at 189 electoral votes....I believe those listed states are all DeathRAT controlled states!

(Excerpt) Read more at cnn.com ...

It will fail and be yet another thing to laugh at libtards over.

What a moron.

States Rights only exist in the context where they can define things not otherwise addresses in the constitution.

Sorry Dummy.

The Constitution gives state legislatures the right to choose how presidential electors are chosen.

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/national-popular-vote-explained

Thank you playtime
I can still see a valid argument, where using
the NATIONAL popular vote to determine a STATE'S electoral vote
can still be CHALLENGED as not representing THAT STATE'S population.

I could sooner see using the STATE'S popular vote (NOT national) to
throw all or proportional percentage of THAT STATE's electoral votes to that winner.

But trying to justify a STATE using NATIONAL VOTES FROM OTHER STATES,
that can be argued as violating the State's REPRESENTATION of its own population
to allow "people of other states" to dictate where THEIR state votes go!

What a moron.

Sorry Dummy.

The National Popular Vote, Explained

Thank you playtime
I can still see a valid argument, where using
the NATIONAL popular vote to determine a STATE'S electoral vote
can still be CHALLENGED as not representing THAT STATE'S population.

I could sooner see using the STATE'S popular vote (NOT national) to
throw all or proportional percentage of THAT STATE's electoral votes to that winner.

But trying to justify a STATE using NATIONAL VOTES FROM OTHER STATES,
that can be argued as violating the State's REPRESENTATION of its own population
to allow "people of other states" to dictate where THEIR state votes go!

That is undeniably true. Whether the feds would have jurisdiction to step in, however, is the question. On the one hand, the Constitution does not seem to prohibit a state from choosing it's electors in any fashion it wishes. BUT. There is precedent for the feds to do just that. Disenfranchising a state's voters is a Very Bad Thing if those voters happen to be minorities, and many of those currently championing the national vote movement would not tolerate some of the inevitable consequences.

Let's consider this scenario. A state throws its electoral votes to the national vote winner, who happens to be white. The voters in the state, however, OVERWHELMINGLY voted for a national vote loser, who happens to be black, in numbers that would normally win the state for him/her. How long do you think it would take for the supporters of this idea to erupt in self-righteous indignation?

Constitutionally states can apportion their electoral votes in any way they see fit

Not entirely accurate. Under your standard, it would be legal for a formerly Confederate state to ensure its EC votes would NEVER go to a black candidate, and I do believe it is a Very Bad Thing to nullify the voices of minority voters.

Or a state could ensure it would never vote for a Muslim, or a homosexual candidate.

So, if it is, as you say, constitutional, then laws prohibiting such things are UNconstitutional, and must be overturned.

No.... The state has the right to present the electoral votes anyway they like. The feds are under no obligation to accept them in an improper form.

Jo
Wait, are you saying the fee will refuse to accept the electoral votes from a state if they don't like the way they are arrived at?

Absolutely it's true. Do you really believe that had Ovama won the popular vote in a formerly Confederate state, but the state's EC votes went to Mitt Romney, the feds would accept them? No, they would not have.

Not entirely accurate. Under your standard, it would be legal for a formerly Confederate state to ensure its EC votes would NEVER go to a black candidate, and I do believe it is a Very Bad Thing to nullify the voices of minority voters.

Or a state could ensure it would never vote for a Muslim, or a homosexual candidate.

So, if it is, as you say, constitutional, then laws prohibiting such things are UNconstitutional, and must be overturned.
Yea...well like most things there are exceptions. Various Constitutional Amendments prevent what you are talking about

Jo

Absolutely it's true. Do you really believe that had Ovama won the popular vote in a formerly Confederate state, but the state's EC votes went to Mitt Romney, the feds would accept them? No, they would not have.

Why wouldn't they accept them?

"There have been a total of 167[5] instances of faithlessness as of 2016. Nearly all have voted for third party candidates or non-candidates, as opposed to switching their support to a major opposing candidate. Ultimately, faithless electors have only impacted the outcome of an election once, during the 1796 election where Thomas Pinckney would have become the President and John Adams the Vice President.[6]

The United States Constitution does not specify a notion of pledging; no federal law or constitutional statute binds an elector's vote to anything. All pledging laws originate at the state level."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector

Forum List

Back