Man Spent 39 Years in Jail for Crime he didnt Commit. Now they are giving him 1 Million Dollars

In Texas you receive eighty thousand a year in compensation.
Thats pretty reasonable and would have netted the guy 3,120,000.
Still not enough in my mind but thats still a crapload of money for a guy that wouldnt likely make that much in his lifetime.

Why does this even merit consideration? He had 39 years of his life taken from him. That's all that counts.

The issue is who should pay for it.
If the prosecution and judge/lawyers made this mistake,
why can't the taxpayers hold those people responsible.

What about the people who had PROTESTED the state all this time?
Why should all taxpayers have to pay for mistakes that were protested and contested,
just because those officials failed to "redress grievances and petitions"?
Why shouldn't ALL crime victims also receive compensation from the wrongdoers?

Why should taxpayers have to pay the housing, health care and other costs for people
who should have gotten help for their abuse or criminal issues BEFORE racking up these expenses.

We could pay for health care if taxpayers were reimbursed for all these costs of a failed criminal justice system run amok!

Thats a good point. But the prosecutor isnt likely to have that kind of cash.
The only way I can see to put a stop to dishonest prosecutors and police is to give them long prison terms if they are caught doing anything hinky.

In Texas you receive eighty thousand a year in compensation.
Thats pretty reasonable and would have netted the guy 3,120,000.
Still not enough in my mind but thats still a crapload of money for a guy that wouldnt likely make that much in his lifetime.

Why does this even merit consideration? He had 39 years of his life taken from him. That's all that counts.

The issue is who should pay for it.
If the prosecution and judge/lawyers made this mistake,
why can't the taxpayers hold those people responsible.

What about the people who had PROTESTED the state all this time?
Why should all taxpayers have to pay for mistakes that were protested and contested,
just because those officials failed to "redress grievances and petitions"?
Why shouldn't ALL crime victims also receive compensation from the wrongdoers?

Why should taxpayers have to pay the housing, health care and other costs for people
who should have gotten help for their abuse or criminal issues BEFORE racking up these expenses.

We could pay for health care if taxpayers were reimbursed for all these costs of a failed criminal justice system run amok!

Thats a good point. But the prosecutor isnt likely to have that kind of cash.
The only way I can see to put a stop to dishonest prosecutors and police is to give them long prison terms if they are caught doing anything hinky.
Agreed.

So what is your solution for compensation? You can piss and moan all you want but the fact is no amount of money will give the guy those years back.

I agree. The 2 or 3 million is about right - TAX FREE, but I don't think anyone would trade 40 years in prison for it.

Oh I agree,I sure wouldnt. But I'll bet you there are a lot out there that would trade five years in prison for a million bucks.

So what is your solution for compensation? You can piss and moan all you want but the fact is no amount of money will give the guy those years back.

I agree. The 2 or 3 million is about right - TAX FREE, but I don't think anyone would trade 40 years in prison for it.

Clearly the focus should be on PREVENTION.
Why not hold the people who commit crimes responsible -- that for your failure to come forward,
if someone else gets convicted of your crime, then you pay the costs. So the sooner you come forward,
the less it will cost you. Have every citizen sign an agreement to pay the costs of crimes if this happens.

Or else risk getting deported, because there are PLENTY of applicants on the waiting list who would gladly sign such
an agreement for citizenship and take your place if you don't want to sign for that responsibility!

I would think some agreement like that MIGHT make people think twice before committing crimes if they can't serve the time or afford to pay 80K a year if someone else serves for them...

What about the man who testified against them, then let them sit in jail for 33 years after he was an adult without ever saying a word about how he was "coerced" into falsely testifying against them...three separate times?

arenas-forgiveness-x-transferframe5806.jpg

Edward Vernon: Imprisoned by a lie set free by the truth - CBS News

What about the man who testified against them, then let them sit in jail for 33 years after he was an adult without ever saying a word about how he was "coerced" into falsely testifying against them...three separate times?

arenas-forgiveness-x-transferframe5806.jpg

Edward Vernon: Imprisoned by a lie set free by the truth - CBS News
He was 12 when he was coerced by the cops and lived with the shame of what he had done all that time.

After taking almost 40 years of his life on the outside, along with that money, they should be hooking him up with a good job and a place to live too!

God bless you and him and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. Are his parents still alive? If they aren't, he should sue whoever put him away for all that time if he can't have them arrested!!!

Thats right. He did 39 years in Jail. On the word of one person:

In 1975, Jackson and two of his friends, brothers Wiley and Ronnie Bridgeman, were falsely accused and convicted of the murder of Harold Franks outside a Cleveland convenience store. Jackson was 18 at the time. Wiley Bridgeman was 20, and Ronnie, now known as Kwame Ajamu, was 18.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/uva-student-from-chicago-injured-during-arrest/564344/

He's to receive close to 2 million in total but he's not bitter about jail...

"I really have to take my hat off to the prosecutors and the state for admitting their errors."

I mean...Wow
This is a very common story. It happens all the time. It's heart-breaking to read these stories on "The Innocence Project" web site. It's far more common than most people realize. When you have a system of injustice such as we have, these things will happen. When courts allow circumstantial evidence, jailhouse snitches to testify, tainted evidence, witnesses that are coerced, forced confessions, planted evidence, lying cops and investigators, corrupt lawyers, and cherry picked jurors, false convictions are bound to happen. We see the reality of this all the time.

In America, you're guilty until by some miracle, you can prove your innocence. Our entire judicial system is a joke, and justice is just a nice sounding word with little meaning in our courts. Think about it the next time someone says our soldiers go to foreign soil to fight and die in the name of freedom.

The problem is people's assumption that if you are arrested, you did it. Add in that people LOVE to decide people's fate in life. This is the one chance that people get to dictate how other people will live their lives. That's a lot of power and people want to hammer that person so any reason to do it, they will do it.

Fortunately, today we have dna which can help us avoid many false prosecutions. That discovery has helped to free many that have sat behind bars, falsely convicted.

Our system is not perfect, and I know of none that is.
And any prosecutor or witness that knowingly helps convict someone falsely needs to be imprisoned themselves.

Hopefully this man can live the rest of his life doing what he wants to do.

In 1975, Jackson and two of his friends, brothers Wiley and Ronnie Bridgeman, were falsely accused and convicted of the murder of Harold Franks outside a Cleveland convenience store. Jackson was 18 at the time. Wiley Bridgeman was 20, and Ronnie, now known as Kwame Ajamu, was 18.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/uva-student-from-chicago-injured-during-arrest/564344/

"I really have to take my hat off to the prosecutors and the state for admitting their errors."

I mean...Wow

You Communists constantly whine about the death penalty - isn't losing 40 years almost worse?

Well....to them...not really....he had food, clothing and medical care...all provided by the state....what's not to love........

What are the odds the guy would ever make two million bucks?
I will say it should be double that at least,and he shouldnt pay a dime in taxes for the rest of his life.
Your first sentence is ignorant. You cant put a value on 39 years.

STFU spook.
Sorry cave chimp. You cant make me.

Sure I can...there's this thing called ignore. The only reason I've held off on that is to hear your Uncle Remus impersonations.

I mean...Wow

2 million bucks for the majority of your life just doesn't seem right to me. I wonder if the asshole who lied about them is still alive. He should spend the next decade or two in prison.

I mean...Wow

I wonder if any one has noticed that the link in the OP has nothing to do with the subject.

...sigh

Forum List

Back