Man Spent 39 Years in Jail for Crime he didnt Commit. Now they are giving him 1 Million Dollars

In Texas you receive eighty thousand a year in compensation.
Thats pretty reasonable and would have netted the guy 3,120,000.
Still not enough in my mind but thats still a crapload of money for a guy that wouldnt likely make that much in his lifetime.

Why does this even merit consideration? He had 39 years of his life taken from him. That's all that counts.

While I agree it sucks,he cant get those years back no matter how much money you give him.
What do you want to do,shoot the prosecutor?
I am not advocating any such thing, but I believe sooner than later, especially in Texas, the figures in the DA officers are going to be ducking. Be more careful! Give the defense counsel everything that is required by law. Remember that you go home every night, while a mistake, deliberate or not, may rob an innocent person of his life.

Why especially in Texas? They pay more in compensation then any state I know of.
If the prosecution is caught withholding evidence or doing anything that denies someone a fair trial they should go to prison.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. They should be shot.

Last edited:
In Texas you receive eighty thousand a year in compensation.
Thats pretty reasonable and would have netted the guy 3,120,000.
Still not enough in my mind but thats still a crapload of money for a guy that wouldnt likely make that much in his lifetime.

Why does this even merit consideration? He had 39 years of his life taken from him. That's all that counts.

While I agree it sucks,he cant get those years back no matter how much money you give him.
I am not advocating any such thing, but I believe sooner than later, especially in Texas, the figures in the DA officers are going to be ducking. Be more careful! Give the defense counsel everything that is required by law. Remember that you go home every night, while a mistake, deliberate or not, may rob an innocent person of his life.

Why especially in Texas? They pay more in compensation then any state I know of.
If the prosecution is caught withholding evidence or doing anything that denies someone a fair trial they should go to prison.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. They should shot.

They should what?

If prosecution willfully withholds evidence from the defense that would help it a capital case and a wrongful verdict is return with execution as the punishment, the prosecutors should be executed on the day of the release of the prisoner. The prisoner should be given the right to give the "fire" command.

If prosecution willfully withholds evidence from the defense that would help it a capital case and a wrongful verdict is return with execution as the punishment, the prosecutors should be executed on the day of the release of the prisoner. The prisoner should be given the right to give the "fire" command.

I'd agree with that if they actually executed the person.
If the guy got released the prosecutor should spend the same amount of time in prison plus five years.
In a death row cell of course.

They should what?
Anyone who provides false testimony in a capital case should die.

If the guy got released the prosecutor should spend the same amount of time in prison plus five years.
Why waste money on them? Just shoot them.

They should what?
Anyone who provides false testimony in a capital case should die.

Alright..I was a little confused by your spelling.
If the person convicted was executed I would agree with you.
If they were eventually exonerated and released the prosecutor should spend an equal amount of time plus five years.
Of course thats on top of the monetary compensation the accused should receive.

To make it easy...you wouldnt be able to get a prosecutor to work for the state for any amount of money on the chance there was an actual mistake that they could be killed for.
It;s the same reason they give cops the benefit of the doubt at times.

To make it easy...you wouldnt be able to get a prosecutor to work for the state for any amount of money on the chance there was an actual mistake that they could be killed for.
I'm referring to witness testimony. You know. Perjury.

Thats even tougher. Eye witnesses are notoriously inaccurate and see things they didnt see.
And if they knew they could be executed you'd never get an eyewitness to testify. It would be the standard ghetto response no matter where the crime happened...I didnt see a thing.

Thats even tougher. Eye witnesses are notoriously inaccurate and see things they didnt see.
And if they knew they could be executed you'd never get an eyewitness to testify. It would be the standard ghetto response no matter where the crime happened...I didnt see a thing.

It would have to proven that the person intentionally lied or not. It's not that difficult.

It would have to proven that the person intentionally lied or not. It's not that difficult.

Au contraire....people see things they didnt see all the time. Sometimes it has to do with pleasing a person in authority or just common stress.
Ask five people who witnessed a crime and you'll likely get multiple stories.

We are talking about actual criminality with intent by prosecutors, not mistakes.

We are talking about actual criminality with intent by prosecutors, not mistakes.

How will you prove it was an honest mistake?
Prosecutors would make damn sure it was presented in a way that they could claim..."honest mistake" whoops.

I think he should essentially be set up for the rest of his life....if the citizens, through their agents commit a wrong of this nature, then he should not have a thing to worry about for whatever time he has remaining....free medical....for him and whatever remains of his immediate family, a home....a nice home....wherever he may want to relocate, and a lot of money....tax free...for life......his kids or grandchildren should get free tuition........

You can't give those years back and a lousy 2 million is just not enough......

He should get one dollar per SECOND locked up. That is: a bit more than $1.2 billion.

Prosecutors would make damn sure it was presented in a way that they could claim..."honest mistake" whoops.

Don't have to prove it was an honest mistake...the state has to prove it was NOT.

Don't have to prove it was an honest mistake...the state has to prove it was NOT.

Why would the state try to prove themselves wrong?

Forum List

Back