Mass Transit Versus The Car

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
cox-downtown-LA+%281%29.jpg

This article focuses on Los Angeles but could be about any urban center outside of NYC, Chicago, and other eastern metropolises. It's definitely a situation here in Vegas. Where you can get with your POV versus the mass transit system is a huge difference. It may take up to 2 hours to get across town as opposed to 45 minutes at most by car.

So, will all the billions being invested in western mass transit system bring results? IMHO, probably not. But read the full article @ Southern California Stuck in Drive Newgeography.com

Yep, mass transit still has a transit time problem. It just takes way too long to get from Point A to Point B.

Also, if your home and workplace are not near mass transit stations, that just adds more commute time to your day.

Screw that.

I do enjoy traveling by mass transit rail, though, on my days off if I am going to the city and have lots of time to kill. It beats fighting traffic and trying to find a place to park. It is very relaxing.

So there's that.

I still travel most of the way by car, then park at a mall close to the city and then take the rail from there.

Buses? No way. Uh-uh. Never.

Yep, mass transit still has a transit time problem. It just takes way too long to get from Point A to Point B.

Also, if your home and workplace are not near mass transit stations, that just adds more commute time to your day.

Screw that.

I do enjoy traveling by mass transit rail, though, on my days off if I am going to the city and have lots of time to kill. It beats fighting traffic and trying to find a place to park. It is very relaxing.

So there's that.

I still travel most of the way by car, then park at a mall close to the city and then take the rail from there.

If they improved bus systems, they would get more users. i use NYC buses all the time because they generally run very well, and more importantly, feed into the rest of the transit system.

In NYC you are often better off commuting than driving, as the times are far closer for most commutes, and the cost is comparable or even less to use transit once you factor in parking.

Screw that.

So there's that.

If they improved bus systems, they would get more users. i use NYC buses all the time because they generally run very well, and more importantly, feed into the rest of the transit system.

In NYC you are often better off commuting than driving, as the times are far closer for most commutes, and the cost is comparable or even less to use transit once you factor in parking.
When I am in NYC (Manhattan), I always get around by subway. They have an excellent system.

But for other cities, mass transit is still a huge time waster.

Screw that.

So there's that.

When I am in NYC (Manhattan), I always get around by subway. They have an excellent system.

But for other cities, mass transit is still a huge time waster.

For some cities it is because they try to slap a cookie cutter system on places that don't fit the traditional mold.

As an example i commute to work by car, because I work at multiple sites in the outer boro's, and using transit would be more expensive and take 3 times as long. That being said I use a bus/subway combo when I report to my main office, and I always use transit when I go out on weekends if i plan to drink.

Forum List

Back