May 18, 2022, The Dow

Winco

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2019
In a HUGE loss, May 18th 2022, how are all of you reacting?

Sell
Buy
Pat

Well for me, I'm standing Pat.
I will let the market hopefully rebound, if not, so be it.

My High Point was 600K, and now it is 540K.
Sucks, yes it sucks.

But in reality, I hope to leave this fund to my children, because SS, Pension, Savings, and PT jobs will protect me from that LUMP sum of 540K.

Sell
Buy
Pat

Sucks, yes it sucks.

But in reality, I hope to leave this fund to my children, because SS, Pension, Savings, and PT jobs will protect me from that LUMP sum of 540K.

If you are not going to use them for a while, 401ks will benefit from the downturn, your contribution buys more shares each time you contribute. When the market rebounds you are better off than you were.

In mid-March we closed our main investment account, which was heavily weighted to the S&P, to use for earnest money on the house we are having built. I keep track of what was in there and how it is doing and it is down about 16% now so taking it out worked out well. The rest of the cash we will use for bargains when we find them. WMT is getting mighty tempting but not sure it is done falling yet

Sell
Buy
Pat

Sucks, yes it sucks.

I bought some stocks yesterday. Not new money being put in though. I had some underperformers I had given a year to do something that hadn't moved much or thrown off any real dividends so I had sold it last week and just needed to reinvest the money. I am not especially worried about it too much. My 401K is blowing chunks but my brokerage is weathering okay.

I bought some stocks yesterday. Not new money being put in though. I had some underperformers I had given a year to do something that hadn't moved much or thrown off any real dividends so I had sold it last week and just needed to reinvest the money. I am not especially worried about it too much. My 401K is blowing chunks but my brokerage is weathering okay.

If you are not planning to use your 401k for a few years it will be better off in the long run as your contribution can by more shares of whatever it buys.

If you are not planning to use your 401k for a few years it will be better off in the long run as your contribution can by more shares of whatever it buys.

That is my logic too tough it is tough to see it down by more than I have contributed this year. I do have several years til 59.5 so it'll recover or we will be so screwed it won't matter.

Buying on the recent silver dip.
I'm headed for my gold guy this morning.

I'm trusting my broker. I lost about 20% of my holdings in the months after they conjured up the wuflu, but I regained it and about 25% more to boot in the months since. I'm looking at only about a $15K loss in the last month. I'll stick with what worked before.

Last edited:
Silver's the better buy.....The ratio has been off for at least a decade.
You may be right. I don't understand what the ratio is about. I already have a lot of silver and, honestly, I don't want to have to buy a bigger safe.

You may be right. I don't understand what the ratio is about. I already have a lot of silver and, honestly, I don't want to have to buy a bigger safe.
The historical ration is around 20:1....Were that in effect today, silver would be closer to $50 or gold closer to $4,000.

Using gold as the fixed point, silver is undervalued.

You people simply do not understand the markets and what drives them.

In 2009, the Fed went 'ALL IN' to pump up the equity markets with unprecedented ZIRP and QE.
And it worked with the longest, bull market in US history.
Now - because of inflation - the Fed has backed off.

The market was WAY overpriced.
It was up NOT due to solid fundamentals.
But due to Fed meddling and ginormous amounts of cheap/leveraged money.

If the Fed does not get back in - the markets will keep falling a LONG way (barring something unforeseen).

If you are not aware of these basic facts?
You have no business investing in equities - unless you have insider information.

You have been warned.

Forum List

Back