Maybe every White Right Winger talking about being slaves to the government should be required to put this picture in their homes.

Many of them arrived there. Louisiana received quite a few, as did the Carolinas. Had the plantation owners actually had paid positions there would have been many more.

The reason why the South wasn’t a big destination is precisely because the opportunities were low for a poor person compared to the North.

"If you build it, they will come"

The South never built it.
/---/ Thus proving my point that southern plantations depended on slaves for manual labor.

/—-/ I don’t know what point you’re trying to make. I give up. See ya.
Your claim is slavery was the only way they could do business. My point is that isn't true. By remaining a slave based economy they actually slowed down the development of the entire region.

That is my point.

Many of them arrived there. Louisiana received quite a few, as did the Carolinas. Had the plantation owners actually had paid positions there would have been many more.

The reason why the South wasn’t a big destination is precisely because the opportunities were low for a poor person compared to the North.

"If you build it, they will come"

The South never built it.

They got the shitty dangerous jobs that blacks weren't used for , being too expensive to risk, like the cotton boat jobs and of course building those river levees around New Orleans and the Mississippi, and swamp clearing. Those levees have 10's of thousands of bodies of Irish and German laborers, just buried and covered over where they dropped dead on the job.

Your claim is slavery was the only way they could do business. My point is that isn't true. By remaining a slave based economy they actually slowed down the development of the entire region.

That is my point.

It was a case of capital following the highest returns then, and the same sort of lop-sided lack of development is going on nationally today, with the hyper-investment in software and our tech skills decline and get off-shored.

Forum List

Back