Memorial Day Tribute

depotoo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2012
To Honor Those That Have Fallen Through The Generations That We Can Remain Free
Memorial-Day-Graphics-17.jpg

ani-gifs-memorial-day-163990737.gif

memorialday15.gif

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK0T4pVHP28&feature=player_embedded]The True Meaning of Memorial Day - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9BSMDcg27k]Billy Ray Cyrus - Some Gave All.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E]God Bless the U.S.A. by Lee Greenwood - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBn9b2Ov0nc]Dad's letter reminder of importance of Memorial Day - YouTube[/ame]

Posted May 27, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

West Roxbury — Dear Friends:

I want to take this opportunity to wish you, your family, and the citizens of the Suffolk and Norfolk District good health and peace of mind on this Memorial Day. Originally known as Decoration Day - to encourage the practice of adorning the graves of the fallen - it is a time to remember those who have served, those currently serving and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we may enjoy our freedom. I would especially like to say thank you to those who have the toughest job in the military, our military spouses and families.

As you may know, I am writing this letter from a combat zone 5,810 miles away while I am serving on active duty with United States forces in Iraq. As a lieutenant in the Navy Reserves who has been called to active duty, I have the distinct privilege and honor of serving with the finest and devoted service members that our great nation has.

Although it is with a heavy heart that I am not physically with you to remember our veterans, their families, and all our service members, please be assured that I am with you in my thoughts and prayers from a distant place as all Americans remember the importance of this day.

I want to thank all the organizers and volunteers who make the ceremonies of this day a reality every year and for their steadfast and unwavering support for our veterans, our military and all of their families.

James A. Garfield once wrote of our fallen heroes, “For the love of Country they accepted death.” We collectively stand together to recognize that this day serves both as a tribute to those who have fallen and an opportunity for us to reaffirm our commitment to the values they died defending. For the love of our country, it is incumbent on us to keep their memories alive and to never forget why we have the freedoms we so often seem to take for granted.

It has been said, “that there is no greater love that can be shown than to lay down one’s life for another.” Let us think of that today with gratitude.

Wishing you fair winds and following seas,

Mike Rush

Lieutenant, United States Navy in Iraq
Letter: State Sen. Mike Rush on Memorial Day - Roslindale, MA - West Roxbury Transcript

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

Letter to Mrs. Bixby

Amazing Grace sheds a great deal of light upon the debt that all of us owe to those who've died for our freedoms:

"'Amazing Grace' is a Christian hymn with words written by the English poet and clergyman John Newton (1725–1807), published in 1779. It contains the message that forgiveness and redemption are possible regardless of sins committed and that the soul can be delivered from despair through the mercy of God."

Newton was captain of a slave ship, and once his eyes opened to those who profit from the slavery of war and debt his redemption produced the lyrics that should lead all who celebrate the sacrifice of those who died in war to question why slavery wasn't taxed into extinction during the decades between Valley Forge and Cold Harbor:

"Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday which occurs every year on the final Monday of May.[1] Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsRGYK-B1Z4]2013 Memorial Day Tribute - YouTube[/ame]
The U.S. Army Season of Remembrance | The United States Army

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmyDkK-zJFk]21-Gun Rifle Salute, Missing Man, Taps - YouTube[/ame]
Memorial Day ceremony at the National Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl, May 25, 2009, in Honolulu, Hawaii. Wreath presentations, color guard, 21-gun rifle salute, taps, and missing man formation fly-by.

Amazing Grace ... one of my very favorite hymns. Thank you, NamVet, for a particularly moving rendition. This video went straight to my heart.

Actually, thank you all, for your beautiful posts.

Last edited:
Not to go off post too very much. For those of you who don't use Bing as a search engine, today's "wallpaper" is a beautiful night time close up of the monument of raising of the flag at Iwo Jima with Washington monument and Capitol dome in the background.

Bing gives me a little education every day.

Reagan 1986

Memorial Day is an occasion of special importance to all Americans, because it is a day sacred to the memory of all those Americans who made the supreme sacrifice for the liberties we enjoy. We will never forget or fail to honor these heroes to whom we owe so much. We honor them best when we resolve to cherish and defend the liberties for which they gave their lives. Let us resolve to do all in our power to assure the survival and the success of liberty so that our children and their children for generations to come can live in an America in which freedom’s light continues to shine.

The Congress, in establishing Memorial Day, called for it to be a day of tribute to America’s fallen, and also a day of national prayer for lasting peace. This Nation has always sought true peace. We seek it still. Our goal is peace in which the highest aspirations of our people, and people everywhere, are secure: peace with freedom, with justice, and with opportunity for human development. This is the permanent peace for which we pray, not only for ourselves but for all generations.

The defense of peace, like the defense of liberty, requires more than lip service. It requires vigilance, military strength, and the willingness to take risks and to make sacrifices. The surest guarantor of both peace and liberty is our unflinching resolve to defend that which has been purchased for us by our fallen heroes.

On Memorial Day, let us pray for peace — not only for ourselves, but for all those who seek freedom and justice.

Not to go off post too very much. For those of you who don't use Bing as a search engine, today's "wallpaper" is a beautiful night time close up of the monument of raising of the flag at Iwo Jima with Washington monument and Capitol dome in the background.

please post it

a special day for me to remember my late dad (top) and uncle who served in WW2. my regret is they passed before seeing the WW2 memorial

302mko5.jpg

>
352pzc1.jpg

a salute to them and all the dad's that never came home​

God bless our Soldiers. Greatest Soldiers on the face of the earth.

Yes, Jeri....our heroes in the highest and greatest sense of the word. We are free because of their sacrifices. I am thinking of their extended families on this somber day, also, and am hoping they remember the reason for the day, which is more than some perceive it---- as just the traditional first day of summer.

:salute:

IT IS THE SOLDIER

It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

©Copyright 1970, 2005 by Charles M. Province

please post it

here is the link for it. It doesn't come up as a picture that can be copy & pasted.

Bing

Yes, it is good to see all that have posted, remembering this day as it should be. I know When I lived in Tx, we had a cemetary near us in which they would do the fly over and we would visit each year to hear the moving memorial. We always had to get their early otherwise you could not see or hear for so many people. Here is an article about last years events. There were over 1000 people.

9-year-old helps Memorial Day crowd at Dallas event honor military service | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
More than 1,000 people attend the 72nd annual Memorial Day Dallas event at Restland Memorial Park in Dallas.

"One fights for my life. One fights for my soul."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBQdHnNfUJs]"Soldiers And Jesus"[/ame]

God bless you and James and our troops always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Forum List

Back