Michigan Labor Union Blames Goats for Taking Their Jobs

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Michigan-Labor-Union-Blames-Goats-for-Taking-Their-Jobs-e1499466897231.png

I really needed a good laugh this morning and this was it.

The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, a 400-member strong union, filed an official grievance claiming, “the work the goats are doing in a wooded lot is taking away jobs from laid-off union workers.”

Will the affect any nation-wide movement to use grazing animals to control overgrowth of plants in their areas? No more sheep keep grass short in parks.’

Full story @ Michigan Labor Union Blames Goats for Taking Their Jobs

It's just a matter of economics. Let's say 3 goats can clear a certain area every day. When the union did it they had 3 men with mowers, 2 men with rakes, a union steward and a supervisor was needed to make sure they were there. They needed a 20 minute break every 30 minutes and went on strike a couple of times a day.

Goats are a far more efficient way to clear undergrowth.

I work with a friend who started a business doing that. It is a huge hit. And far more entertaining than some guys with mowers.

Plus there is far less to be hauled away. An adult goat eats between 8 and 10 lbs of foliage a day. We hit overgrown areas with between 30 and 40 goats at a time (depending on which herd). So for every day they are there, 240 to 400 lbs of leaves and undergrowth is gone. The difference in the volume to be hauled away, between human workers and goats is huge. A decent sized, heavily overgrown lot, averages 4 days to clear. Having to bag and dispose of the 960 to 1,600 lbs of additional materials makes the human version the inferior way of doing it.

I work with a friend who started a business doing that. It is a huge hit. And far more entertaining than some guys with mowers.

Plus there is far less to be hauled away. An adult goat eats between 8 and 10 lbs of foliage a day. We hit overgrown areas with between 30 and 40 goats at a time (depending on which herd). So for every day they are there, 240 to 400 lbs of leaves and undergrowth is gone. The difference in the volume to be hauled away, between human workers and goats is huge. A decent sized, heavily overgrown lot, averages 4 days to clear. Having to bag and dispose of the 960 to 1,600 lbs of additional materials makes the human version the inferior way of doing it.

A logistical question:

Do you do something to prevent goat poop in the cleanup area, and if so, where do you take them when they have to defecate, and is there anything to be done with the manure?

Plus there is far less to be hauled away. An adult goat eats between 8 and 10 lbs of foliage a day. We hit overgrown areas with between 30 and 40 goats at a time (depending on
which herd). So for every day they are there, 240 to 400 lbs of leaves and undergrowth is gone. The difference in the volume to be hauled away, between human workers and goats is huge. A decent sized, heavily overgrown lot, averages 4 days to clear. Having to bag and dispose of the 960 to 1,600 lbs of additional materials makes the human version the inferior way of doing it.

A logistical question:

Do you do something to prevent goat poop in the cleanup area, and if so, where do you take them when they have to defecate, and is there anything to be done with the manure?

We leave the manure. It is pellets, like a rabbit only slightly bigger.

Plus there is far less to be hauled away. An adult goat eats between 8 and 10 lbs of foliage a day. We hit overgrown areas with between 30 and 40 goats at a time (depending on
which herd). So for every day they are there, 240 to 400 lbs of leaves and undergrowth is gone. The difference in the volume to be hauled away, between human workers and goats is huge. A decent sized, heavily overgrown lot, averages 4 days to clear. Having to bag and dispose of the 960 to 1,600 lbs of additional materials makes the human version the inferior way of doing it.

A logistical question:

interesting to know. Another question, do you have to have the goats fast before sending them to a site, or do these thing eat anything you put in front of them.

Sorry, I'm an engineer and I am always fascinated by out of the box concepts, but I often question the logistics of them.

A logistical question:

interesting to know. Another question, do you have to have the goats fast before sending them to a site, or do these thing eat anything you put in front of them.

Sorry, I'm an engineer and I am always fascinated by out of the box concepts, but I often question the logistics of them.

Goats have the appetites of 16 year old boys. There is no full. Lol.

We have around 200 goats in 6 herds. They have gone from one job to another since Feb of 2016. We had 41 babies born between Thanksgiving and mid January. All born on jobs. When we turn the goats into a new area, they look like they are starving because of the way they attack the tastiest stuff.

A logistical question:

I would not give them a full breakfast before they go to work

A logistical question:

We have around 200 goats in 6 herds. They have gone from one job to another since Feb of 2016. We had 41 babies born between Thanksgiving and mid January. All born on jobs. When we turn the goats into a new area, they look like they are starving because of the way they attack the tastiest stuff.

Any flack from the local animal rights PETA types?

The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, a 400-member strong union, filed an official grievance claiming, “the work the goats are doing in a wooded lot is taking away jobs from laid-off union workers.”

Will the affect any nation-wide movement to use grazing animals to control overgrowth of plants in their areas? No more sheep keep grass short in parks.’

Labor should Only complain about UnEqual protection of the law.

Unemployment compensation simply for being, naturally unemployed!

Why? Goats are doing what goats do, eat. They are well fed.

A logistical question:

Every winter we get people calling and reporting us for having our dogs out in the weather. We have Great Pyrenees as livestock guardians to protect the goats. They LOVE colder weather. Very thick coats. But no one complains during the summer. Which is when weather bothers them.

A logistical question:

Every winter we get people calling and reporting us for having our dogs out in the weather. We have Great Pyrenees as livestock guardians to protect the goats. They LOVE colder weather. Very thick coats. But no one complains during the summer. Which is when weather bothers them.

Gotta love advocates that can't understand the things they advocate about.

I had a mutt that was part husky with a decent coat that used to tunnel into the freaking snow.

Why? Goats are doing what goats do, eat. They are well fed.
Naturally.

A logistical question:

I grew up with goats and sheep grazing along the side of roads and the brush in orchards. Except that thy move like a flock of birds, in groups, they pretty much did what they wanted, eat. Then walk home or to a safe place for the night.

Only in a few areas where the milk was used commercially were the sheep and goats isolated on farms.

I even has a sheep as a pet. Like a dog and composter in one.

Forum List

Back