More lefties learn the glory of the 15 dollar minimum wage....unemployment.....

A burger machine couldn't cook chicken. Some person would have to change the setting at the very least.

Really?

One person to run a machine that replaces 16 workers --- that isn't automation?

I strongly suspect that I can create a sensor (in fact, I guarantee it) that can differentiate between burger (which is red with white specks in it and weighs 4 ounces +/- 10%) and chicken (which is off-white, and has a variable weight that greatly exceeds the weight band of a hamburger). In fact, make it worth my while and I WILL build it.

And, I can guarantee that if you raise the labor rates enough, it will definitely be worth my while.

I've never been to a fast food restaurant with 16 people just cooking the food. Usually there is maybe 4. And well I haven't seen a machine that can cook more than just burgers. Link?

Only 4 when you are there - other times? 16 people out of work.

The discussion was not about what is being used today - obviously we use minimum wage workers, because it's more cost effective. The point was - raise the minimum wage enough and the machine will be built - because it is more cost effective.

Oh, by the way ----- Hamburger-making machine churns out custom burgers at industrial speeds

And in the reality of now nobody is using machines to make food. I guess walmart employees will be replaced by robots. I'll never understand why the right wants people to make so little.

It has nothing to do with 'want[ing] people to make so little' - it's about not wanting to pay more for labor than it's worth.

Today, nobody uses the hamburger-making machine because minimum wage labor is less expensive - raise the wages and see what happens.

And, I can guarantee when Walmart employees cost more than robots, they're gone.

Given nobody is using burger making machines I think a min wage increase is pretty safe. Just like every other one has been safe.

Really?

One person to run a machine that replaces 16 workers --- that isn't automation?

I strongly suspect that I can create a sensor (in fact, I guarantee it) that can differentiate between burger (which is red with white specks in it and weighs 4 ounces +/- 10%) and chicken (which is off-white, and has a variable weight that greatly exceeds the weight band of a hamburger). In fact, make it worth my while and I WILL build it.

And, I can guarantee that if you raise the labor rates enough, it will definitely be worth my while.

I've never been to a fast food restaurant with 16 people just cooking the food. Usually there is maybe 4. And well I haven't seen a machine that can cook more than just burgers. Link?

The discussion was not about what is being used today - obviously we use minimum wage workers, because it's more cost effective. The point was - raise the minimum wage enough and the machine will be built - because it is more cost effective.

Oh, by the way ----- Hamburger-making machine churns out custom burgers at industrial speeds

And in the reality of now nobody is using machines to make food. I guess walmart employees will be replaced by robots. I'll never understand why the right wants people to make so little.

It has nothing to do with 'want[ing] people to make so little' - it's about not wanting to pay more for labor than it's worth.

Today, nobody uses the hamburger-making machine because minimum wage labor is less expensive - raise the wages and see what happens.

And, I can guarantee when Walmart employees cost more than robots, they're gone.

Given nobody is using burger making machines I think a min wage increase is pretty safe. Just like every other one has been safe.

Where do YOU think the tipping point is? $10? $15? $20? $50?

You better be right ....

There are no machines that can grind meat, shape burger patties, cook and assemble burgers, so your argument is moot..

Actually, we have machines that can grind meat, shape burger patties, and cook burgers - do you seriously believe burger assembly is an engineering challenge we can't solve?
How many restaurants serve nothing but hamburgers?
There are no machines that can grind meat, shape burger patties, cook and assemble burgers, so your argument is moot..

Actually, we have machines that can grind meat, shape burger patties, and cook burgers - do you seriously believe burger assembly is an engineering challenge we can't solve?

Why do we still have cooks?
Fast found restaurants don't just serve hamburgers. A McDonald kitchen prepares fried and broiled chicken sandwiches, fish sandwiches, chicken nuggets, snack wraps, a multitude of special burgers, a variety of egg muffin sandwiches, pancakes, eggs, sausages, biscuits, and constantly changing specials.

Unless your restaurant served just burgers, a burger machine with have a minimal impact on employment because the kitchen staff is still needed to prepare other food.

There is also another problem with automation. It's not flexible. The machine can only perform the tasks that it has been built to perform. So management's menu is limited by the machine; not a good idea since fast food restaurants have built their menu by trying out new menu offerings.

Nonsense --- there's not a nickel's difference between cooking chicken or hamburgers. One of the prime concerns when making 'menu changes' is to 1) not use anything new - just find different ways to present the same raw materials, 2) use the same delivery methods in order to avoid increased training costs, and 3) increase profitability for the same materials.

Actually, automation is extremely flexible --- it's just a matter of building it to be flexible.
I beg to differ. There is a huge difference in preparing a hamburger, a fried chicken sandwich, eggs, or pancakes. Fast food restaurants build their menu by adding new food items to see how they sell. If they are successful, then they become a staple item on the menu. What you're suggesting is that restaurants will limit their menu to items this machine can prepare. It seems highly unlike that major fast food franchises would prefer this to raising prices to cover minimum wage increase. In fact, this is exactly what McDonald's is doing. It started raising prices last year and will continue to do so in order pay employees $1 over local minimum wage by July 1, 2015. The average employee will be making over $10/hr in 2016. It doesn't sound like McDonald is going to be buying any burger machines.

You do realize that with every minimum wage increase proposed, both state and federal opponents have tried to scare employees with claims of massive job loss which never happens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/business/mcdonalds-raising-pay-for-employees.html

Last edited:

Fast found restaurants don't just serve hamburgers. A McDonald kitchen prepares fried and broiled chicken sandwiches, fish sandwiches, chicken nuggets, snack wraps, a multitude of special burgers, a variety of egg muffin sandwiches, pancakes, eggs, sausages, biscuits, and constantly changing specials.

Unless your restaurant served just burgers, a burger machine with have a minimal impact on employment because the kitchen staff is still needed to prepare other food.

There is also another problem with automation. It's not flexible. The machine can only perform the tasks that it has been built to perform. So management's menu is limited by the machine; not a good idea since fast food restaurants have built their menu by trying out new menu offerings.

Nonsense --- there's not a nickel's difference between cooking chicken or hamburgers. One of the prime concerns when making 'menu changes' is to 1) not use anything new - just find different ways to present the same raw materials, 2) use the same delivery methods in order to avoid increased training costs, and 3) increase profitability for the same materials.

Actually, automation is extremely flexible --- it's just a matter of building it to be flexible.
I beg to differ. There is a huge difference in preparing a hamburger, a fried chicken sandwich, eggs, or pancakes. Fast food restaurants build their menu by adding new food items to see how they sell. If they are successful, then they become a staple item on the menu. What you're suggesting is that restaurants will limit their menu to items this machine can prepare. It seems highly unlike that major fast food franchises would prefer this to raising prices to cover minimum wage increase. In fact, this is exactly what McDonald's is doing. It started raising prices last year and will continue to do so in order pay employees $1 over local minimum wage by July 1, 2015. The average employee will be making over $10/hr in 2016. It doesn't sound like McDonald is going to buy any burger machines.

You do realize that with every minimum wage increase proposed both state and federal, opponents have tried to scare employees with claims of massive job loss which never happens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/business/mcdonalds-raising-pay-for-employees.html

I don't try to scare anybody ---- but, I don't want you back here bitching because the unemployment rate went up 3 months later. Someday, you'll figure out the cost of labor, and the resulting automation to offset it, is the reason we haven't had robust job growth in 6 years.

You better be right ....

Yes I know you are trying to scare everyone. I'm certain it can be increased without the sky falling. It always has been.

You better be right ....

Yes I know you are trying to scare everyone. I'm certain it can be increased without the sky falling. It always has been.

.... and I hope you're right. Because if you aren't, you ain't the one who pays the price.

Here are more people being enlightened with basic economics.....

Seattle Minimum Wage Kills Jobs Hurts Students PJ Tatler

Students at the University of Washington in Tacoma are getting an object lesson in the value of a dollar. As economic dominoes fall in the wake of a municipal minimum wage hike to $15 per hour in Seattle, university students find themselves digging deeper into their pockets to cover higher prices resulting from the mandate.

Elsewhere, small-business employees initially thrilled by the “raise” granted them by the city have since learned that they’ll be losing their jobs later this year. Red Alert Politics reports:

[Z Pizza] owner Ritu Shah Burnham said she just can’t afford the city’s mandated wage hikes.

“I’ve let one person go since April 1, I’ve cut hours since April 1, I’ve taken them myself because I don’t pay myself,” she told Q13. “I’ve also raised my prices a little bit, there’s no other way to do it.”

This is why leftists want state rights to go away and force the federal government to make these types of changes across the board.

That way, when their agenda's pass and are forced on us all, there is no one to compare with in terms of success/failure. If it fails then they will say how much worse things would be if their agenda's did not succeed. As it stands now, they are screwed since we can point to states that have it better now than those poor souls in Seattle.

Dont be a dumbass. Building a burger/chicken/fish sandwich machine is child's play.
You really need to look into CNC machines that can build an engine block out of a solid hunk of an aluminum or cast steel...in one set up.
Talk to me when you really understand the true ability of computerized numerical control... at this point you just sound foolish.

Dont be a dumbass. Building a burger/chicken/fish sandwich machine is child's play.
You really need to look into CNC machines that can build an engine block out of a solid hunk of an aluminum or cast steel...in one set up.
Talk to me when you really understand the true ability of computerized numerical control... at this point you just sound foolish.

CNC machines don't cook food...

They absolutely can. Talk to me when you've spent 25 years working with em.
You truly dont know shit about automation.

A machine that can hold tenths of a thousands can make a burger without breaking a sweat.

I beg to differ. There is a huge difference in preparing a hamburger, a fried chicken sandwich, eggs, or pancakes. Fast food restaurants build their menu by adding new food items to see how they sell. If they are successful, then they become a staple item on the menu. What you're suggesting is that restaurants will limit their menu to items this machine can prepare. It seems highly unlike that major fast food franchises would prefer this to raising prices to cover minimum wage increase. In fact, this is exactly what McDonald's is doing. It started raising prices last year and will continue to do so in order pay employees $1 over local minimum wage by July 1, 2015. The average employee will be making over $10/hr in 2016. It doesn't sound like McDonald is going to buy any burger machines.

You do realize that with every minimum wage increase proposed both state and federal, opponents have tried to scare employees with claims of massive job loss which never happens.

I don't try to scare anybody ---- but, I don't want you back here bitching because the unemployment rate went up 3 months later. Someday, you'll figure out the cost of labor, and the resulting automation to offset it, is the reason we haven't had robust job growth in 6 years.
Seattle raised it's minimum wage form $9.47 to $11/hr. Prior to the decision to raise wages, opponents assured city council of job losses. Those job loses have not occurred. In fact one restaurant chain raised all employee wages to $15/hr, implemented a not tipping policy and increased prices 21% with no layoffs. 17% of the price increase will go to employees to make up for lost tips, and 4% will be used to pay the the increase in wages. At their sea food bars which are fast food, wages will increase to $11/hr and menu prices will increase by 3%

Ivar s to raise minimum wage to 15 cut tipping

A machine that can hold tenths of a thousands can make a burger without breaking a sweat.

haha. Show me a cnc making food. How would a cnc cook food exactly? Will it cut a burger out from the ground beef? That hardly seem efficient.

haha. Show me a cnc making food. How would a cnc cook food exactly? Will it cut a burger out from the ground beef? That hardly seem efficient.

Again you obviously dont know shit about CNC. Making a burger machine would be childs play.
So tell me,how many years have you had programming and building machines that can?

Again you obviously dont know shit about CNC. Making a burger machine would be childs play.
So tell me,how many years have you had programming and building machines that can?

Link to a CNC machine that is making food. I would love to see it.

There is no question as to whether it's possible. The question is whether a machine can be built at a reasonable price to provide burgers to the restaurant's specification, prepare the other foods the kitchen help must prepare, and be flexible enough to prepare other items the restaurant may decide to add to their menu.

Again ...so called brain.
I want you to tell me your experience with machines that can hold a tolerance within less than 1/10 the thickness of a humane hair?...which is on average about .003 thousands of an inch. So we are talking about .0001 thousands of an inch.
Do you know anything about em? I do,I worked with them for over twenty years,how about you?
Yeah thats what I thought...to make a machine that only needs to hold +or - a 1/16 of an inch is so easy I could build one in my garage.

You should really STFU about what you dont know.

I want you to tell me your experience with machines that can hold a tolerance within less than 1/10 the thickness of a humane hair?...which is on average about .003 thousands of an inch. So we are talking about .0001 thousands of an inch.
Do you know anything about em? I do,I worked with them for over twenty years,how about you?
Yeah thats what I thought...to make a machine that only needs to hold +or - a 1/16 of an inch is so easy I could build one in my garage.

Link the food making Cnc or stfu.

There is no question as to whether it's possible. The question is whether a machine can be built at a reasonable price to provide burgers to the restaurant's specification, prepare the other foods the kitchen help must prepare, and be flexible enough to prepare other items the restaurant may decide to add to their menu.

The cost comes in when you start talking about precision.
The cost of precision when your talking about cutting tomatoes is a joke.

So you dont know shit about CNC? Hey thats no embarrassment for someone who knows nothing about it.
But you really should stop pretending...it makes you look stupid.

So you dont know shit about CNC? Hey thats no embarrassment for someone who knows nothing about it.
But you really should stop pretending...it makes you look stupid.

I know they do not and cannot make food. You can prove me wrong with a link.

Forum List

Back