Happy Custer Day!

I believe there were several thousand Sioux Arapaho and Cheyenne Braves who Custer in his arrogance didn't expect to be there, he though the was going on another punitive raid against Indian villages full of women and kids.
I would like to see hollywood make an honest film about the battle. That idiot is sstll a hero to some americans.

Just a tiny microcosm of how the American people have been consistently deceived fooled and tricked into believing fairy tales that magically always support the State.
I love westerns. I remember when I was a child I pertered my Mam to take me to see Custer of the West at the Stute. Robert Shaw played Custer annd he seemed an attractive sympathetic figure to me.
Most of the films I have seen since then have been sympathetic. I dont suppoe there is a domestic market for a film that encourages you to cheer for the Sioux.
De Santis would certainly ban it. So would that skank in Dakota.

I love westerns. I remember when I was a child I pertered my Mam to take me to see Custer of the West at the Stute. Robert Shaw played Custer annd he seemed an attractive sympathetic figure to me.
Most of the films I have seen since then have been sympathetic. I dont suppoe there is a domestic market for a film that encourages you to cheer for the Sioux.
Unfortunately American history as it’s taught and depicted by Hollywood, is almost always propaganda designed to support the criminal state.

Unfortunately American history as it’s taught and depicted by Hollywood, is almost always propaganda designed to support the criminal state.
British film industry is a lot smaller but generally as bad. Films about british colonials in Africa or India are generally awful. From the 60s onwards there was a seeries of revisionist films , a reaction to the rubbish that had gone before.
Charge of the Light Brigade is a good example. Gandhi was another one.
And of course wewere taught a version of colonial history.. Alll the good stuff. No bad stuff. A comic book version.

I think there was a similar move in the US.Some of the Nam films.Watergate. But mainky celebrating dubious victories.There is never any context to why you are in Vietnam. But I am always amused that black folk can never win without an heroic white guy standing up for them.
I would like to see a film aabout the US installing the Shah.

PS - Missing did an excellent job of debunlking the American role in Chile. Jack Lemmon was amazing in it.

Yes i have been a fan of westerns since i was a kid but i think it was only from maybe the late 60s some western films tried to show the reality of those days, however one of my all time favourites was Shane, i watched it again just a few weeks ago on TV, but pure entertainment, big fan of the late Ben Jonson who had been a real Cowboy.

As for little bighorn i have read about it over the years, that Major Reno seems to have been a interesting character, did Custer make the mistake of splitting his forces to attack the Indian village? Reno was outflanked and half his force destroyed so Custer was on his own after that.

Forum List

Back