More school: Obama would curtail summer vacation

I wouldn't mind a longer day or year round school. The number of days might not change, just no 3 month breaks. I think summer is too long, the kids lose too much. It made sense when they were working on a farm, not so much anymore.

Meh ... I wouldn't mind, no more having to deal with other peoples brats on the streets of downtown in the middle of the day on nice days.

Ha Ha. That's the real reason. Many parents don't want to deal with their own brats either.

NJ is trying to change the drop out age to 19. They are starting universal pre-school for 3 year olds. I envision a world where children are indoctrinated from the age of 3 to 21; 12 months a year. And for those parents that can't handle their teens; dormitories.

We have a tourist economy in NJ. I don't think too many people would go for a 12 month school year. It would hurt the whole state.
Good point about the tourism. I didn't think about that. Could there be a possibility that the Department of Education could mandate this for all states? I never had to deal with any of the ed depts, so I have little idea how they balance state and fed boundaries in education.

I don't think it should be mandated by the fed, really is a local issue.

WHY IS THIS A FEDERAL ISSUE?

See, if people were educated they would know that education is best left to the parents, communitites and the States

Kids already spent too much time not learning anything useful. Do you want them spending even MORE hours in a system where 75% of the HS students in OK can't identity the first US President?

If you want to improve education eliminate the Federal Department of Education, like Sonny taking care of Paulie, make that first thing.

I've already linked the OK framework showing that Washington is taught in OK schools. So, if something is taught, who do you blame?

kids should be in school more or all states should adopt california's rotating schedule. american kids are getting dumber and dumber, especially in math and science, and we already have a generation of really dumb parents and the next one is only going to be worse. other countries paren'ts put their kid's education as their highest priority instead of hollywood, sports, tv, and other stupid shit that american parents do

It has more to do with the dumbing down of education not the time spent in school. We have a raft of idiot teachers liberal policies, no history till high school, teaching to dumb tests, not teaching but instructing rather. No hurting feelings, no competition, a raft of ideas regarding no grades just pass fail, as well as to much trouble to actually fail kids and deal with the parents.

History is taught in Elementary School and in Middle School. The federal government mandates the tests. All schools I know have grades. And the parents have the ultimate say on whether a student moves on or not. You don't know too much about what's really going on in schools..

Social Studies was the DUMBEST idea to come down the pike, followed closely by teaching to a frigging test.

And here you just were complaining that they don't teach History. You DO know that Social Studies is History, right?

One learns very little when they are simply instructed, NOT taught, how to pass tests. It is an easy process to learn the test then dump the information for the next test you have to take.

Then become part of the solution. There's a Soldier to Teacher program out there.

Get the Federal Government OUT of class rooms. They do not belong there, they have no authority to be there. It has never been the Federal Governments power or authority to interfere with the individual States on how the schools are run. In fact one can follow the bouncing ball very well, as the Fed crept in further and further the level of education declined further and further.

In a way I agree. But the Feds are there because of the money they have handed out. Do you expect them to do that with no oversight?

Some dumb ass in Washington DC has no idea at all what is needed in some town in some State anywhere in this Country in regards class loads, teacher credentials, hiring and firing practices, school curriculum, subjects to be taught and learned, amount of time per day or year to teach those subjects, passing grade requirements, etc etc.

And interestingly enough, MOST of what you just listed isn't decided in Washington, it's decided at the state or local level.

Schools are forced to put more and more teachers in administrative positions to meet all the idiotic paper trail and work required by the Federal Government. EVERY President, including Republicans are wrong when they create mandates and requirements for local schools. Get the Fed out of our schools.

I know of no teachers FORCED into administrative positions. What ARE you talking about?

Kids already spent too much time not learning anything useful. Do you want them spending even MORE hours in a system where 75% of the HS students in OK can't identity the first US President?

If you want to improve education eliminate the Federal Department of Education, like Sonny taking care of Paulie, make that first thing.

I've already linked the OK framework showing that Washington is taught in OK schools. So, if something is taught, who do you blame?

I missed your link. I'd like to review it.

I missed your link. I'd like to review it.

Well, it's back in the thread about OK schools. Of course, you can google OK schools social studies framework....like I did.

As much as I'd love to make fun of Oklahoma, that poll was steaming load of crap.

kids should be in school more or all states should adopt california's rotating schedule. american kids are getting dumber and dumber, especially in math and science, and we already have a generation of really dumb parents and the next one is only going to be worse. other countries paren'ts put their kid's education as their highest priority instead of hollywood, sports, tv, and other stupid shit that american parents do

Yes children in american schools have become "dumber" in direct proportion to the amount of illlegal aliens entering the USA.

Holy shit~1` obama is evil! More school for the kids?!~!>>!?!?!~?

The end is here! The apocalypse is upon! The falcon cannot hear the falconer!

Things fall apart! The center cannot hold!

Indeed, don't you sense the trend here?

Massive upsetness over Obama telling kids to study hard and take responsibility for their own education.

And now upsetness about Obama suggesting that our school year be extended to be more in line with those countries we are always moaning have better schools than we do.

Education be bad. Very bad!

Massive upsetness over Obama telling kids to study hard and take responsibility for their own education.

And now upsetness about Obama suggesting that our school year be extended to be more in line with those countries we are always moaning have better schools than we do.

Education turns people into thinkers.

Not good for the corporatists who are counting on a large, cheap, and stupid labor pool.

Last edited:

Yes children in american schools have become "dumber" in direct proportion to the amount of illlegal aliens entering the USA.

completely wrong

What bullshit. There is not a single post in this thread that even remotely suggests that anyone is against education and/or personal responsibiliy - except yours.

One must conclude that you are anit-education, then?

Or, maybe just grossly dishonest?

Last edited:
I know a few teachers and while I'm sure there are teachers out there that want a longer school year or a longer school day, no one that I know feels that way. Most of the teachers I know are simply tired of having to teach to the standardized tests.
MY personal opinion is that the federal government needs to disband the Dept. Of Education and turn things back over to the individual states.

First off, the department of education is mostly controlled in the states already. I worked as a test scorer in Missouri and the US department of education has a national standard and if you don't meet it, then you don't get federal money. The State controls the schedule kids are in school, what they need to do to improve test scores, and how best to teach the kids. So if you have a problem with that, thats what the state run program does.

Second, I would like to do something like 3 weeks of school and a week off every month. I know in St. Louis and Kansas City they have problems with kids bored while their parents are working so they go out and commit petty crimes like vandalism, destruction of property and stealing. This causes homeowner's insurance to go up while your wages stay the same. We already are paying teachers ALL YEAR ROUND. So why not work them all year round?

What bullshit. There is not a single post in this thread that even remotely suggests that anyone is against education and/or personal responsibiliy - except yours.

no, one must conclude that you are a fucking moron. say.. what is "anit-education" anyway? Maybe you could have used a summer semester...

:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you for the Laugh! I just adore IRONY!
:lol::lol::lol:

I know a few teachers and while I'm sure there are teachers out there that want a longer school year or a longer school day, no one that I know feels that way. Most of the teachers I know are simply tired of having to teach to the standardized tests.
MY personal opinion is that the federal government needs to disband the Dept. Of Education and turn things back over to the individual states.

First off, the department of education is mostly controlled in the states already. I worked as a test scorer in Missouri and the US department of education has a national standard and if you don't meet it, then you don't get federal money. The State controls the schedule kids are in school, what they need to do to improve test scores, and how best to teach the kids. So if you have a problem with that, thats what the state run program does.

Second, I would like to do something like 3 weeks of school and a week off every month. I know in St. Louis and Kansas City they have problems with kids bored while their parents are working so they go out and commit petty crimes like vandalism, destruction of property and stealing. This causes homeowner's insurance to go up while your wages stay the same. We already are paying teachers ALL YEAR ROUND. So why not work them all year round?

Actually, we are not paying teachers all year round. They are being paid for usually 10 months, but have the option of having that pay stretched out over a 12 month period. (Some school districts don't give that option tho)

Sure, let the government-run schools have our kids for another 3 hours a day. They can learn cute songs praising our leaders and watch videos which are critical of capitalism.

Forum List

Back