Morsi sentenced to death

I question the justice of this and wonder why it is applauded?

Egypt Rampant torture arbitrary arrests and detentions signal catastrophic decline in human rights one year after ousting of Morsi Amnesty International

A surge in arbitrary arrests, detentions and harrowing incidents of torture and deaths in police custody recorded by Amnesty International provide strong evidence of the sharp deterioration in human rights in Egypt in the year since President Mohamed Morsi was ousted.

Thousands of people have been detained, with figures varying. According to official estimates published by the Associated Press in March, at least 16,000 people have been detained over the past year as part of a sweeping crackdown against Mohamed Morsi’s supporters and other groups and activists that have expressed dissent.

According to WikiThawra, an initiative run by the Egyptian Center for Economic and Social rights, at least 80 people died in custody over the past year and more than 40,000 people were detained or indicted between July 2013 and mid-May 2014.

Reports of torture and enforced disappearances in police and military detention facilities are also widespread.

Egypt Court recommends death sentences for Morsi more than 100 others after charade trials Amnesty International

An Egyptian court’s recommendation today to sentence ousted president Mohamed Morsi and more than 100 other defendants to death after grossly unfair trials shows the deplorable state of the country’s criminal justice system, said Amnesty International.

“Condemning Mohamed Morsi to death after more grossly unfair trials shows a complete disregard for human rights. His trials were undermined even before he set foot in the courtroom. The fact that he was held for months incommunicado without judicial oversight and that he didn’t have a lawyer to represent him during the investigations makes these trials nothing but a charade based on null and void procedures,” said Said Boumedouha, Deputy Director of Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Programme.

“Egypt’s authorities should disregard all the evidence that was obtained from Mohamed Morsi or any other detainee during the period in which they were subjected to enforced disappearance, and must either release him immediately or retry him in a civilian court with full fair-trial guarantees. Any further criminal proceedings must be in line with Egyptian law and international standards.

The authorities should also drop the charges of escaping from prison in January 2011, as at the time Morsi was held in administrative detention, under emergency powers and without a judicial detention order.”

“The death penalty has become the favourite tool for the Egyptian authorities to purge the political opposition. Most of those sentenced to death by courts since July 2013 have been Morsi supporters. The deal seems to be: Support Morsi and get sentenced to death or to years behind bars. Instead, Egypt must ensure the independence and impartiality of the justice system and bring to justice all those responsible for gross human rights violations.”
Some understand the Muslim culture and some don't..................Allowing the Muslim Brotherhood to BE PART OF THE PROCESS are the WORDS OF A FOOL.................

Sissi understood what had to happen to deal with this in this culture..............................

and he dealt with it..........................He is now marked for death by the Muslim Brotherhood for doing this............................

so he will not have any mercy on these types.............who burned and pillaged............and murdered.......

He didn't "deal with it" - he burned, pillaged, killed, jailed, "disappeared" all politic opposition from politicians, bloggers, students, protesters, media. These death sentances are a charade of a justice system. Do you really think that is a "good thing"?

What makes this any different than any other despot?
I'll take this one over the Muslim Brotherhood any day..................

The Muslim Brotherhood would have done as they always do.................Face it.........Sissy probably saved a lot of Coptic Christians by overthrowing him...................and their response............burn, pillage and kill the coptics there....................

We are better off with the Muslim Brotherhood gone..............even under a dictatorship....................and Morsi was also talking about breaking the Peace with Israel as well..................guess that doesn't bother you either.............................

I'll take Sissy, and the Coup.........you can have the Muslim Brotherhood.

morsi-clinton.jpg

wor_egypt_burning_81513.jpg

Your point?
You can't figure that out..................hmmm

Nope.
Well I thought you were a smart person.........guess I was wrong about you.

Obama / Clinton Muslim Brotherhood Pal, Mohammed Morsi, Sentenced To 20 Years in Prison…

Both President Obama and Secretary Hillary Clinton praised Mohammed Morsi when he was ruling Egypt as the chosen representative of The Muslim Brotherhood. Morsi immediately disbanded the court system and instituted a Sharia compliant constitution while slaughtering hundreds of Egyptians. Obama and Clinton praised him, the majority of Egyptian people hated him.

Obama Clinton Muslim Brotherhood Pal Mohammed Morsi Sentenced To 20 Years in Prison The Last Refuge

He was the democratically elected president of Egypt. You must have missed that part.

He's not now, you must have missed that part.

When did they praise him?

You must be out of the loop on Egypt, Obama, Clinton, Morsi and what happened.

I suspect I'm more "in the loop" than you are.

Do you support the total destruction of Egypt's judicial system here? If so, then I can only assume you are an admirer of North Korea, and similar states where justice is a charade and dissent is punishable by death.

The Muslim Brotherhood and Democracy in the same sentence..............LOL.................

The Muslim Brotherhood have different ideals on so called Democracy..............and they have been a part of just about every Terrorist Orgs birth in their time.

Hyperbole much? They seem to have become the right's bogeyman.
Some understand that we are and have been at War with Radical Islam..............

Some understand that the Muslim Brotherhood is part of that problem.............

Some understand that some people need a boot on their neck for their own good.......

This Coup probably saved an eventual war with Israel again................Obama, Clinton are a bunch of Idiots on the Foreign policy in this region...................They prove it time and time again.................

How about they clean up Libya..............purely their War and the place is utter Chaos..................but it's righteous now that they do it huh..................

Egypt Rampant torture arbitrary arrests and detentions signal catastrophic decline in human rights one year after ousting of Morsi Amnesty International

A surge in arbitrary arrests, detentions and harrowing incidents of torture and deaths in police custody recorded by Amnesty International provide strong evidence of the sharp deterioration in human rights in Egypt in the year since President Mohamed Morsi was ousted.

Thousands of people have been detained, with figures varying. According to official estimates published by the Associated Press in March, at least 16,000 people have been detained over the past year as part of a sweeping crackdown against Mohamed Morsi’s supporters and other groups and activists that have expressed dissent.

According to WikiThawra, an initiative run by the Egyptian Center for Economic and Social rights, at least 80 people died in custody over the past year and more than 40,000 people were detained or indicted between July 2013 and mid-May 2014.

Reports of torture and enforced disappearances in police and military detention facilities are also widespread.

Egypt Court recommends death sentences for Morsi more than 100 others after charade trials Amnesty International

An Egyptian court’s recommendation today to sentence ousted president Mohamed Morsi and more than 100 other defendants to death after grossly unfair trials shows the deplorable state of the country’s criminal justice system, said Amnesty International.

“Condemning Mohamed Morsi to death after more grossly unfair trials shows a complete disregard for human rights. His trials were undermined even before he set foot in the courtroom. The fact that he was held for months incommunicado without judicial oversight and that he didn’t have a lawyer to represent him during the investigations makes these trials nothing but a charade based on null and void procedures,” said Said Boumedouha, Deputy Director of Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Programme.

“Egypt’s authorities should disregard all the evidence that was obtained from Mohamed Morsi or any other detainee during the period in which they were subjected to enforced disappearance, and must either release him immediately or retry him in a civilian court with full fair-trial guarantees. Any further criminal proceedings must be in line with Egyptian law and international standards.

The authorities should also drop the charges of escaping from prison in January 2011, as at the time Morsi was held in administrative detention, under emergency powers and without a judicial detention order.”

“The death penalty has become the favourite tool for the Egyptian authorities to purge the political opposition. Most of those sentenced to death by courts since July 2013 have been Morsi supporters. The deal seems to be: Support Morsi and get sentenced to death or to years behind bars. Instead, Egypt must ensure the independence and impartiality of the justice system and bring to justice all those responsible for gross human rights violations.”
Some understand the Muslim culture and some don't..................Allowing the Muslim Brotherhood to BE PART OF THE PROCESS are the WORDS OF A FOOL.................

Sissi understood what had to happen to deal with this in this culture..............................

and he dealt with it..........................He is now marked for death by the Muslim Brotherhood for doing this............................

so he will not have any mercy on these types.............who burned and pillaged............and murdered.......

He didn't "deal with it" - he burned, pillaged, killed, jailed, "disappeared" all politic opposition from politicians, bloggers, students, protesters, media. These death sentances are a charade of a justice system. Do you really think that is a "good thing"?

The Muslim Brotherhood would have done as they always do.................Face it.........Sissy probably saved a lot of Coptic Christians by overthrowing him...................and their response............burn, pillage and kill the coptics there....................

We are better off with the Muslim Brotherhood gone..............even under a dictatorship....................and Morsi was also talking about breaking the Peace with Israel as well..................guess that doesn't bother you either.............................

Morsi showed himself to be incompetent and overreaching. However - Sissi has now done as much if not more damage. If it's a "necessary evil" - then at least don't try to make it out as anything better than it is - a corruption of justice and abusive use of the death penalty.

Obama / Clinton Muslim Brotherhood Pal, Mohammed Morsi, Sentenced To 20 Years in Prison…

Both President Obama and Secretary Hillary Clinton praised Mohammed Morsi when he was ruling Egypt as the chosen representative of The Muslim Brotherhood. Morsi immediately disbanded the court system and instituted a Sharia compliant constitution while slaughtering hundreds of Egyptians. Obama and Clinton praised him, the majority of Egyptian people hated him.

Obama Clinton Muslim Brotherhood Pal Mohammed Morsi Sentenced To 20 Years in Prison The Last Refuge

He was the democratically elected president of Egypt. You must have missed that part.

Do you support the total destruction of Egypt's judicial system here? If so, then I can only assume you are an admirer of North Korea, and similar states where justice is a charade and dissent is punishable by death.
Apple's to Oranges..........making that comparison from the middle East to here is utter BS...........

You really don't understand do you.............

Apple's to Oranges..........making that comparison from the middle East to here is utter BS...........

Oh. So, you are essentially saying "justice for me, not thee" then? No wonder Americans are so hated.

Morsi showed himself to be incompetent and overreaching. However - Sissi has now done as much if not more damage. If it's a "necessary evil" - then at least don't try to make it out as anything better than it is - a corruption of justice and abusive use of the death penalty.
To each his own Coyote.................

The Muslim Brotherhood aren't to be cuddled, and neither is Morsi................Sissi understands what he must do even if you find it corrupt and abuse.............

He overthrew the Gov't...............pretty much shows the steps he was willing to take to prevent what was coming with Morsi................

and I'm glad he did...................Justice for the Muslim Brotherhood.................I could care less.

Oh. So, you are essentially saying "justice for me, not thee" then? No wonder Americans are so hated.
Whatever floats your liberal boat....................what justice did the Coptics get...............when they were targeted, killed and abused.....................Where was their Justice.................

There wasn't a court room on that one was there..................That's what the Muslim Brotherhood and Morsi's bring to the table.................They bring death and violence in the end and were met with Death and violence to stop them.

A coup to stop them..................so what..............some cultures can't have Democracy..............it's not in their Gene pools.

BTW................they've been hating us long before any of these current wars happened.........Before Bush and even before the first Bush................

I don't care if they hate us.................I want them to stop terrorism and stop with their BS Caliphates..................they do that I don't care anymore..................

Continue it...............they can pound sand..............

A New Role for Egypt Sisi s Government and the Arab-Israeli Conflict Harvard International Review

Three years ago, President Hosni Mubarak was deposed by protesters during the Arab Spring, and Mohamed Morsi, the candidate of the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party, was elected president in 2012. During his tenure, Morsi expanded executive power, imprisoned his detractors, and supported an Islamist-backed constitution. One year later, in the midst of widespread protests, the Egyptian Armed Forces again seized control, and Minister of Defense and Chief of the Armed Forces Abdel Fattah el-Sisi became First Deputy Prime Minister. When the new regime held elections, he was chosen as Egypt’s next president.

Sisi and his government set out to eradicate the Muslim Brotherhood, considering it a terrorist organization. All Muslim Brotherhood activities are now illegal in Egypt, many leaders have been arrested, and the Muslim Brotherhood continues to be portrayed throughout the country as a promoter of worldwide terror. This mindset has directly impacted Egypt’s relationship with its neighbors to the east, namely Gaza and Israel.

Cairo currently views Gaza’s ruling party, Hamas, as a militarist extension of the Muslim Brotherhood and an illegitimate governing body.

Cairo currently views Gaza’s ruling party, Hamas, as a militarist extension of the Muslim Brotherhood and an illegitimate governing body. Former President Morsi is accused of conspiring with Hamas, Hezbollah, and other terrorist organizations to instigate violence in the Sinai Peninsula and destabilize the country. Sisi’s government has also declared that Hamas played a central role in the Muslim Brotherhood’s plot to break Morsi free from prison during Mubarak’s rule. Hamas is not acknowledged as the governing body of Gaza in any statement by the Egyptian government and is only mentioned on the official government information website in terms of its connection with Muslim Brotherhood terror. The censure of Hamas has further spread beyond the government. Egyptian television presenters denounce Hamas as a terrorist organization, and media tycoons tweet their condemnation of the organization, while others still applaud Israel for attacking Hamas.

Whatever floats your liberal boat....................what justice did the Coptics get...............when they were targeted, killed and abused.....................Where was their Justice.................

There wasn't a court room on that one was there..................That's what the Muslim Brotherhood and Morsi's bring to the table.................They bring death and violence in the end and were met with Death and violence to stop them.

A coup to stop them..................so what..............some cultures can't have Democracy..............it's not in their Gene pools.

Justice is justice. The people being killed aren't the ones who killed the Copts so what does that have to do with this? Is justice for one person dependent on whether another gets justice? No one deserves a kangaroo court and that is what this has been. And you are applauding it, corruption, and human rights abuses that this regime is engaging in.

The Fate of Dissenters in Al-Sisi s Egypt The New Disappeared Informed Comment
Dozens of civilians have been kidnapped by police in plainclothes and detained at military camps since the 2011 uprising, the report said, adding that it often takes days, weeks or even months for the families of the disappeared to figure out where they are held.

One example mentioned in the report is that of Amru Rabea, an engineering student at Cairo University. Rabea — a prominent member of the Ahrar movement, which was founded after the January 25 uprising — was arrested on March 11 at Ramsis Square.

For more than two months after his arrest, Rabea’s family had no idea where he was. The authorities denied his detention. When Rabea finally appeared at the Abassseya court in eastern Cairo on May 22, he told his sister that he was blindfolded for almost the entire time he was kidnapped. Rabea’s shoulder was also dislocated from torture, his sister said, adding that he was first held in Al-Azouly military prison and later taken to Al-Aqrab prison.

“In their last visit to Amru, where they got to speak to him through a glass window, he told his friends that the torture gets so bad sometimes that he would be willing to sign anything, but he doesn’t,” claimed one of Amru’s friends. “There are full days of his life he does not remember.”

No warrant or official records

The Ahrar Movement is not, by the way not Muslim Brotherhood.

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/01/16/winter-egypts-dissent-296918.html
Over the past 18 months, Egypt's repression has been more brutal than even the ugliest periods under former president Hosni Mubarak. Under the direction of Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, the former general elected president in May, Egyptian security forces have opened fire indiscriminately on pro-democracy demonstrators, killing more than 1,400 people, human rights workers estimate. In swift trials, some lasting just eight minutes, more than 1,300 people have been sentenced to death or given life sentences on dubious terrorism-related charges. Thousands more, including local journalists, secular activists and supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood, have been jailed indefinitely for taking part in anti-government protests, which also have been banned.

I don't think it's me that is "not in the loop". Not at all. But hey - you guys keep on supporting this regime since it seems to float your boat.

Al-Sisi We destroyed 80 of tunnels with Gaza

Egyptian President Abdel Fatah Al-Sisi announced yesterday that the buffer zone with the Gaza Strip has been expanded to three kilometres in some places and around 80 per cent of the tunnels have been destroyed, Falesteen newspaper reported.

About the general situation in Sinai, Al-Sisi said: "The armed forces and police have so far destroyed 150 terror bases and arrested 188 terrorists."

He added: "Facing terror is a comprehensive attempt that includes fighting poverty, ignorance and offering an enlightened religious discourse that reforms the blurred ideologies."

Justice is justice. The people being killed aren't the ones who killed the Copts so what does that have to do with this? Is justice for one person dependent on whether another gets justice? No one deserves a kangaroo court and that is what this has been. And you are applauding it, corruption, and human rights abuses that this regime is engaging in.

Dozens of civilians have been kidnapped by police in plainclothes and detained at military camps since the 2011 uprising, the report said, adding that it often takes days, weeks or even months for the families of the disappeared to figure out where they are held.

One example mentioned in the report is that of Amru Rabea, an engineering student at Cairo University. Rabea — a prominent member of the Ahrar movement, which was founded after the January 25 uprising — was arrested on March 11 at Ramsis Square.

For more than two months after his arrest, Rabea’s family had no idea where he was. The authorities denied his detention. When Rabea finally appeared at the Abassseya court in eastern Cairo on May 22, he told his sister that he was blindfolded for almost the entire time he was kidnapped. Rabea’s shoulder was also dislocated from torture, his sister said, adding that he was first held in Al-Azouly military prison and later taken to Al-Aqrab prison.

“In their last visit to Amru, where they got to speak to him through a glass window, he told his friends that the torture gets so bad sometimes that he would be willing to sign anything, but he doesn’t,” claimed one of Amru’s friends. “There are full days of his life he does not remember.”

Over the past 18 months, Egypt's repression has been more brutal than even the ugliest periods under former president Hosni Mubarak. Under the direction of Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, the former general elected president in May, Egyptian security forces have opened fire indiscriminately on pro-democracy demonstrators, killing more than 1,400 people, human rights workers estimate. In swift trials, some lasting just eight minutes, more than 1,300 people have been sentenced to death or given life sentences on dubious terrorism-related charges. Thousands more, including local journalists, secular activists and supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood, have been jailed indefinitely for taking part in anti-government protests, which also have been banned.

I don't think it's me that is "not in the loop". Not at all. But hey - you guys keep on supporting this regime since it seems to float your boat.
Deal then...............Not a problem..............

I'll take Sissi's stance against terrorist groups..............

and you can have the Muslim Brotherhood..............

DEAL.

As Millions Celebrate Morsi's Overthrow in Egypt, Five Things You Need Know About What Led to this Revolt

Fed up with an ailing economy, authoritarianism and a political process exclusively shaped by the Muslim Brotherhood, the masses in Egypt have forced Morsi out. Protesters' anger has exploded as Muslim Brotherhood offices have been burned to the ground, and the party's headquarters looted and ransacked. But the Muslim Brotherhood, which was a player in the 2011 revolution, is not likely to go quietly. Muslim Brotherhood activists have also taken to the streets, defending the party's headquarters and holding counter-rallies. At least 39 people have been killed in clashes between the opposing sides. An American English teacher caught up in the conflict in Alexandria was also killed June 28. In addition, at least one journalist was killed, one raped and seven injured.

The continued polarization in Egypt and the military’s renewed threats to intervene could spell disaster for a country struggling to get on its feet after 30 years of misrule, corruption and human rights abuses perpetrated by the U.S.-backed Mubarak regime.

What does this renewed revolt all mean, and where is it going? What are the roots of the crisis, and what does it mean for the region?

To help explain it all, here are 5 things you should know to understand the current political convulsions in Egypt.

1. Morsi’s Missteps

There are a number of factors fueling the current unrest in Egypt. But the first and most immediate factor is the Islamist leader’s missteps throughout his one-year rule.

Morsi, a Muslim Brotherhood member who was jailed by the Mubarak regime, wasn’t elected by overwhelming consensus. He only garnered about 52 percent of the total presidential vote in a contest that pitted him against a Mubarak regime stalwart, Ahmed Shafiq. So he came into office with a slim majority--but he ended up governing like the whole nation loved him, despite vowing in his inaugural address to act as “a servant to the people.”

Some members of the revolutionary camp celebrated Morsi’s win at first, though others distrusted the Muslim Brotherhood’s secretive nature. But a consensus has slowly emerged among non-Islamist political actors that Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood have become anti-democratic forces intent on consolidating their power.

On November 22, 2012, Morsi issued a decree that effectively placed his decisions above and beyond any court until a new Constitution and parliament governing the nation were put in place. His reason for doing so was to protect the assembly drafting a new post-Mubarak Constitution from influence from a judiciary with ties to the old regime. But the decree was met with massive protests from the opposition, members of the judiciary and those who led the revolution, and Morsi was forced to back down on some of his power grab. Still, Morsi wasn’t done ramming his party’s vision for Egypt down the throats of the population at large.

At the end of the month, Egypt’s Constituent Assembly rushed to pass through what many saw as a flawed Constitution that would replace the temporary one drafted by the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, the military leaders who ran the country after Mubarak and who ceded power to Morsi when he was sworn in as president. The Constituent Assembly was already plagued by problems, most notably the walkout of non-Islamist members who felt that the Constitution would trample the rights of secularists, women, the press and workers. Despite the walkout, the Constitution was passed by the Islamist-dominated assembly. The Constitution was put to a referendum, and it passed easily, though turnout was low.

All of these crucial decisions by Morsi came as the Egyptian economy continued to implode. Instability has driven away investors and tourists, and unemployment, inflation and debt have increased. A recent fuel shortage has put the country on edge.

2. Brutality Against Opponents of Morsi

Brutality against demonstrators and opposition forces have continued in Morsi’s Egypt, despite the fact that one of the major drivers of the 2011 revolution was police brutality and impunity.

The paradigmatic event on this front occurred in December 2012. Protests against the impending vote on the Constitution had broken out. One opposition protest gathered outside the presidential palace, and pro-Morsi demonstrators were called on to defend the palace. Violence broke out on both sides, and eight members of the Muslim Brotherhood were killed. But torture and abuse were also inflicted on anti-Morsi demonstrators by Muslim Brotherhood supporters, which recalled for many Egyptians how the Mubarak regime had used paid thugs to intimidate opponents.

Islamists detained and beat dozens of the protesters and held them for hours with their hands bound. They then delivered the demonstrators to the Egyptian police, a security force that is feared and despised by much of the population.
protected Muslim Brotherhood headquarters.

More:
As Millions Celebrate Morsi s Overthrow in Egypt Five Things You Need Know About What Led to this Revolt Alternet

DEAL.

No deal.

You also have to take Sissi's stance against dissent, rounding up, disappearing, putting to death and torturing dissenting political groups, media, journalists etc as well as the corruption of the justice system.

I'll take a working justice system and outlawing of the MB as a political party within Egypt's legal framework.

DEAL.

No deal.

You also have to take Sissi's stance against dissent, rounding up, disappearing, putting to death and torturing dissenting political groups, media, journalists etc as well as the corruption of the justice system.

I'll take a working justice system and outlawing of the MB as a political party within Egypt's legal framework.
So be it......................this move very well may have saved Egypt in the end.....................

Justice system under Muslim Brotherhood control................lol

Forum List

Back