Muslim baker...make me a Mohammed cake; Muslim hotel owner...host my pork festival; Can they refuse?

...look to the law- the law doesn't care about the religious beliefs of the business owner- only about whether the discrimination is lawful or not...
Indeed. Nolo contendere. The question now becomes: Is the Law right and just? Is it fair? Is it in the best interests of The People?

And, if not, it becomes a matter of (1) changing the Law or (2) finding legal ways to circumvent it until it can be changed.

If you don't like the law- it is your right to change it. If you think the law is unconstitutional, then you have the same options as gay couples did who believed that bans on gay marriage were unconsitutional- either change the law legislatively or argue the case in court.

Personally- I don't think discrimination is fair- and discrimination is the reason why the 1964 Civil Rights Act was passed.

...Once again, if a bakery doesn't offer the images it IS NOT REQUIRED TO SELL THE IMAGES. How many times must this be pointed out to you?
And if the bakery advertises custom decorating made-to-order (which most do), and then objects to a particular sort of imagery, on religious grounds?

How many times will you use that same lame-ass excuse to try to weasel out of answering the question?
They can not sell any image they want using whatever grounds floats their boats. IF THEY DON'T OFFER THE IMAGE THEY ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO SELL IT.
Custom Made-to-Order Decorations...

Got it?

Not a pre-existing Catalog of Offered Imagery, but...

Custom Made-to-Order Decorations...

Now...

Answer the frigging question...

If you dare...

If a Muslim baker advertises Custom Made-to-Order Cake Decorations...

And a customer wants a custom made-to-order image of the Prophet Muhammed on the cake...

Is the Muslim baker entitled to refuse the customer's order, on the grounds that it violates his religious principles?

Yes or No?

Once again- look to the law- the law doesn't care about the religious beliefs of the business owner- only about whether the discrimination is lawful or not

The Colorado Civil Rights Commission is the state agency established to administer and enforce Colorado’s anti-discrimination laws in employment, housing and public accommodations. Colorado law prohibits such discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, creed, religion, disability (mental and physical), familial status (housing only), marital status (housing and public accommodations only), marriage to a co-worker (employment only), and age (employment only).

Who would either baker be discriminating against?

If a Muslim or Christian baker refused to sell a cake to a gay couple because the couple are gay- that is covered by the law.
If a Muslim or Christian baker refused to sell a cake with Mohammed's face on it to a gay couple- because they are gay- that is covered by the law.
If a Muslim or Christian baker refused to sell a cake with Mohammed's face on it to Joe Blow, the asshole- because he is being an asshole- that is not covered by the law.

how about this one------I go to a muslim book store and
ask for five dozen copies of the Koran to be used as fuel in a piggy pork roast picnic?

Here is the law:

The Colorado Civil Rights Commission is the state agency established to administer and enforce Colorado’s anti-discrimination laws in employment, housing and public accommodations. Colorado law prohibits such discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, creed, religion, disability (mental and physical), familial status (housing only), marital status (housing and public accommodations only), marriage to a co-worker (employment only), and age (employment only).

Feel free to tell me what provision would apply.

Professor Plum and Miss Scarlet------are british----
but you got the general idea

Ah, so he kept his socks on as they did the nasty. I won't hold that against him.

I would certainly hold a candlestick against Miss Scarlet, however.

---He had to-----the house was full of peeking intruders----armed with everything from candle sticks to
carrots

Pork festival would likely have to be allowed. I doubt the cake would have to be made. You can see the difference, right?
What is the difference between...

A Muslim being offended or inhibited from fashioning a cake with an image of Muhammed upon it, utilizing his religion's bans on representation of the human form, or the Prophet, as the basis for his refusal...

...versus...

A Christian being offended or inhibited from fashioning a cake with an image of a homosexual couple upon it, utilizing his religion's bans upon homosexuality as the basis for his refusal?
There is no difference. No one was asked to put an image of a homosexual couple on a cake. A bakery does not have to provide a product it doesn't offer.

So, if a bakery only offered straight wedding cakes, you would say "well sorry gays, that bakery doesn't offer gay wedding cakes? I think not , you dishonest piece of shit

Cakes don't have a sexual orientation you stupid douchewagon. :lol:

Who said they did you dumb fuck? The weddings those cakes are served in certainly have a sexual orientation.

The gay ones are the better catered ones.

You did you dumb fuck, when you described cakes with the adjectives "gay" and "straight".

English Motherfucker... Do you speak it?

What is the difference between...

A Muslim being offended or inhibited from fashioning a cake with an image of Muhammed upon it, utilizing his religion's bans on representation of the human form, or the Prophet, as the basis for his refusal...

...versus...

A Christian being offended or inhibited from fashioning a cake with an image of a homosexual couple upon it, utilizing his religion's bans upon homosexuality as the basis for his refusal?
There is no difference. No one was asked to put an image of a homosexual couple on a cake. A bakery does not have to provide a product it doesn't offer.

So, if a bakery only offered straight wedding cakes, you would say "well sorry gays, that bakery doesn't offer gay wedding cakes? I think not , you dishonest piece of shit

Who said they did you dumb fuck? The weddings those cakes are served in certainly have a sexual orientation.

You did you dumb fuck, when you described cakes with the adjectives "gay" and "straight".

I used gay as and adjective for the wedding not for the cake.

but you knew that already.

I think the question is- can a person discriminate against an event? Not a person. Just an event, due to religious beliefs.

So for example...what if a black family is having a graduation party for their son and they're serving food...including pork. And they want to rent a Muslims hotel conference room for it. He cant discriminate against them for being black. But can he discriminate against the EVENT since he doesnt believe in the serving of pork?

I think he can. If gay folks wanna come buy a pizza or cake...welcome! Come on in and enjoy.

But...to host a gay wedding...which goes against their beliefs...is wrong. Especially when you consider two straight men can get married...and its the same EVENT...but includes no gay people. So you can hold the same event without gay people and say no to it...say saying no to the event doesnt discriminate.

The cake is the same for both dipshit. :thup:

i.e., you can't say you'll bake it for weddings you approve of but not weddings you don't.

The cake is the same for both dipshit. :thup:

i.e., you can't say you'll bake it for weddings you approve of but not weddings you don't.

The cake IS the same (barring any customization of course) but there intended use is not.

A gun is the same whether used for hunting or murdering. The gun is the gun, however I'm fairly sure you would differentiate between them when deciding whether or no to sell to someone yes?

Forum List

Back