My Hurricane Helene Experience...

Freedomisneverfree

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2021
I live in South Carolina and I thought it Hurricane Helene would break apart like it usually does and just end up with broken branches on the ground. I looked around and felt I was satisfied that I had enough for the storm. They say it was Cat 4 when it hit Florida land. Usually it breaks up as it moves through Florida and Georgia. This time it took a hard path right where I lived. The winds started on Thursday so I cancelled my doc appointment. It began to rain and all night I was so nervous because the rains were unrelenting. I had to drive to Dialysis very early in the morning and during the strong hurricane!. It was the toughest one I had ever driven though with everything you see on TV with the rain going sideways and strong winds. I parked at Dialysis and waited for them to open up. The wind was picking up my car and the hardest rain you ever saw was hitting my window. Eventually she opened the door and I ran inside.

She got me quickly hooked up and I began to run on dialysis. 30 minutes in the power went off! We sat there and the manager told us we had to leave. I wondered about a generator? Nope. So now I had to go back out in the storm and I made it back to my house quickly. But there were large trees laying in the road. I could not get there going that way. I turned around and went a different way and when I got to my driveway, there was a LARGE TREE and it had fallen on my house!

The whole neighborhood was filled with trees that were down. I had no electricity. That went on for 7 days and about an hour ago I got the power back. During my time in the dark house with no lights I could not take a shower or bath because the water was cold. I did the hair in the sink. And washed my body with a scrubbie cloth. I did not cook for a week. I just ate things like crackers and easy dry foods.

On that day, two sweet ladies came with chainsaws and began working on trying to par the branches down. But they had struggles with the saw and they were not able to return. The owner slowly has chipped away at the massive tree on my house. I remember being in the shoes in deep mud and rain but wanting to help stack the smaller branches.

So for the next 7 days I waited for the power to come on but I learned the transformer pole exploded with force. I took a pic but my computer is not cooperating yet.

I want to say there are far worse folks than me in Asheville NC. 30 inches of rain and a sea of mud. Many lost their lives. There are reported 1,000 people missing at this time. Some may have passed and some are not able to use their cell phone or lost it in the water. My thoughts are with their families

I had some touching experiences. First my Social Worker called for Dialysis and told me because of my situation, the Kidney Fund wanted to help. Then when I got to the doc office a nice nurse heard what happened and offered me some food and said she had a case of water and wanted to give it to me! The young girl was wearing these pretty bracelets. I said "Oh those are beautiful!" She took one off and said this is for you! I could not believe it. She hugged me two times and it was like she was telling me she understood going 7 days without power. But you know what? She had lost HER electric too so we were in the same boat so to speak.

It was a very draining experience. My cell did not work,. no TV, no computer, just tried to read and relax.

Do you know someone who went through Helene and it has affected you?

Thanks.

I live in South Carolina and I thought it Hurricane Helene would break apart like it usually does and just end up with broken branches on the ground. I looked around and felt I was satisfied that I had enough for the storm. They say it was Cat 4 when it hit Florida land. Usually it breaks up as it moves through Florida and Georgia. This time it took a hard path right where I lived. The winds started on Thursday so I cancelled my doc appointment. It began to rain and all night I was so nervous because the rains were unrelenting. I had to drive to Dialysis very early in the morning and during the strong hurricane!. It was the toughest one I had ever driven though with everything you see on TV with the rain going sideways and strong winds. I parked at Dialysis and waited for them to open up. The wind was picking up my car and the hardest rain you ever saw was hitting my window. Eventually she opened the door and I ran inside.

She got me quickly hooked up and I began to run on dialysis. 30 minutes in the power went off! We sat there and the manager told us we had to leave. I wondered about a generator? Nope. So now I had to go back out in the storm and I made it back to my house quickly. But there were large trees laying in the road. I could not get there going that way. I turned around and went a different way and when I got to my driveway, there was a LARGE TREE and it had fallen on my house!

The whole neighborhood was filled with trees that were down. I had no electricity. That went on for 7 days and about an hour ago I got the power back. During my time in the dark house with no lights I could not take a shower or bath because the water was cold. I did the hair in the sink. And washed my body with a scrubbie cloth. I did not cook for a week. I just ate things like crackers and easy dry foods.

On that day, two sweet ladies came with chainsaws and began working on trying to par the branches down. But they had struggles with the saw and they were not able to return. The owner slowly has chipped away at the massive tree on my house. I remember being in the shoes in deep mud and rain but wanting to help stack the smaller branches.

So for the next 7 days I waited for the power to come on but I learned the transformer pole exploded with force. I took a pic but my computer is not cooperating yet.

I want to say there are far worse folks than me in Asheville NC. 30 inches of rain and a sea of mud. Many lost their lives. There are reported 1,000 people missing at this time. Some may have passed and some are not able to use their cell phone or lost it in the water. My thoughts are with their families

I had some touching experiences. First my Social Worker called for Dialysis and told me because of my situation, the Kidney Fund wanted to help. Then when I got to the doc office a nice nurse heard what happened and offered me some food and said she had a case of water and wanted to give it to me! The young girl was wearing these pretty bracelets. I said "Oh those are beautiful!" She took one off and said this is for you! I could not believe it. She hugged me two times and it was like she was telling me she understood going 7 days without power. But you know what? She had lost HER electric too so we were in the same boat so to speak.

It was a very draining experience. My cell did not work,. no TV, no computer, just tried to read and relax.

Thanks.
glad you're ok .

I'm sorry as hell you had to go through that, but aren't you one of these people?

View attachment 1021193
we believe in climate change ! we just believe its a natural cycle the earth goes through ... and the fact you had to politically attack the op after she told her inspiring story shows how sick you really are !

we believe in climate change ! we just believe its a natural cycle the earth goes through ... and the fact you had to politically attack the op after she told her inspiring story shows how sick you really are !
Why? If you oppose efforts to fight climate change, you are partially responsible for the damage it does.

The climate change skeptics will, sadly, finally accept the science when the flood waters are up the 4th step and the tree has crashed through the roof, that is if they are not swept away first. We all know we are running out of time, and to have a government that publicly sides with fossil fuels (and limitless funding) over what we are doing is criminal. Literally, figuratively, all of that.

Sorry you were affected, but welcome to the new normal. Yes, it's real.

I live in South Carolina and I thought it Hurricane Helene would break apart like it usually does and just end up with broken branches on the ground. I looked around and felt I was satisfied that I had enough for the storm. They say it was Cat 4 when it hit Florida land. Usually it breaks up as it moves through Florida and Georgia. This time it took a hard path right where I lived.

Glad you are OK. One thing I've not seen anyone point out was the great difference between the path the weather people forecast for it and where it really went. Here is a map of the FORECASTED path and I drew in where it really went in red lines. Big difference.

Frankly, I was surprised when before hitting land they had it hooking west! I thought all along I expected the thing to take the direction more like it really did.

Screen Shot 2024-10-02 at 9.30.08 PM.png

Thanks.

Quite an ordeal you went through. Fortunately you made it through.
I live in Central Florida 140+ miles North of Fort Lauderdale and even here the winds were impressively strong.
I went through Wilma and these winds were not too far off from Wilma difference is, Helene never got closer than 200 miles from where I am.

I honestly did not expect the wind gusts we qot or the duration. I told my friends that if the winds were this strong from this distance where I am then people in the landfall cone are in trouble.

Will insurance cover your home repairs?

Here's wishing you the best.

Thanks.
First, let me say I am glad you got to the other side of this experience safely.

Second, I am not surprised at the help and kindness you experienced. Humanity comes out in tragic times.

Third, I was on an assignment in Many, LA during Rita and Katrina. I know exactly what you went through.

Fourth, it is OK to be scared and you pushed through it.

Well done and best of luck.

I'm sorry as hell you had to go through that, but aren't you one of these people?

View attachment 1021193

The climate has been changing for billions of years.
You low information people buy into whatever garbage your celebrities and lying news media spoon feed you.

There was a time Earth had no Oxygen. You and your media will no doubt blame that on Pintos and Station wagons....
And MANY of you will believe it.

There never used to be hurricanes at all! Right? It's climate change.

The weird thing is NOAA has a big office building in Asheville, and the University of North Carolina has one of the premier meteorology programs based at the Asheville campus.
So, ironically the chances are good that the meteorologists that totally fucked up the forecast were trained in Asheville and may even work there.

Glad you are OK. One thing I've not seen anyone point out was the great difference between the path the weather people forecast for it and where it really went. Here is a map of the FORECASTED path and I drew in where it really went in red lines. Big difference.

Frankly, I was surprised when before hitting land they had it hooking west! I thought all along I expected the thing to take the direction more like it really did.
Don't forget to color in Alabama.
Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 6.56.18 PM.png

Never have experienced a hurricane here.....

Only very.... very strong earthquakes .....and let me tell you

that IS so scary!:omg:

More nutsack fantasies, Winky?
As I always suspected, you lefties were all children who didn't get the beatings you needed,
and obviously needed a lot, so grew up to be bad adults still with the minds of children.
It embarrasses me just HOW much of a PUKE you are and still claim to be an American.
You are truly a POS.

Thanks.
Did you not get an evacuation notice?

I have friends in South Carolina and I was concerned for them, but the hurricane dodged west and missed them.

I'm grateful you were not in the house when the tree fell on it!

I'm also in SC. Power still out, but is just an inconvenience for me. Many about a hour up the road from me in chimney Rock have been flood out. Many people killed.

Forum List

Back