My List of the dumbest things in sports

Its kinda cute that you really believe that.
It's kinda cute that you think that is a rebuttal.
But since you clearly don't have one, I will use my previous example.
Penn State football brings in $60+ million to the university every year; out of that the coach gets paid $7.5 million. There are then the costs of running the program to include stadium upkeep which also come out of that $60 million.
Which part of that are you struggling with?

And yet you want to do away with football.
See...this is what happens when I make a point to an intellectually lazy idiot like yourself.

I never said that.

I said there should be farm teams for player development. Let the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos draft players out of private colleges and out of high school. Let them develop their skills, sub in for injured players on the professional level. Stop expecting students and tax payers to subsidize your minor leagues.

See...this is what happens when I make a point to an intellectually lazy idiot like yourself.

I never said that.

I said there should be farm teams for player development. Let the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos draft players out of private colleges and out of high school. Let them develop their skills, sub in for injured players on the professional level. Stop expecting students and tax payers to subsidize your minor leagues.
My mistake. I meant to say:
So you want to do away with college football.

It's kinda cute that you think that is a rebuttal.
But since you clearly don't have one, I will use my previous example.
Penn State football brings in $60+ million to yhe university every year; out of that the coach gets paid $7.5 million.
Which part of that are you struggling with?

And if you took a potted plant, put a whistle around the top of it and put a headset on it, they'd make the same amount of television revenue from their conference. As I proved with Rutgers. Winning doesn't matter. It's also not the point of college.

Let me ask you this. I've been around for over 50 years. Every one of those years, Penn State has had a football program bringing in some multiple of these supposed millions of dollars right? Why isn't tuition free by now?

And if you took a potted plant, put a whistle around the top of it and put a headset on it, they'd make the same amount of television revenue from their conference. As I proved with Rutgers. Winning doesn't matter. It's also not the point of college.

Let me ask you this. I've been around for over 50 years. Every one of those years, Penn State has had a football program bringing in some multiple of these supposed millions of dollars right? Why isn't tuition free by now?
You think total tuition taken in by PSU every year is only $60 million???
:auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:
No seriously, stop it.
:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

College sports will be round long after pros destroy theirs . Very few decent announcers around too which will push their demise along

Last edited:
Nobody came close...

The DUMBEST thing in sports is Lia Thomas

Lookie lookie, the man beat all the girls again

The SMARTEST thing and Play ofthe Day would be

One of the girl swimmers racing Lia Thomas concerned DAD slugging Lia in the face...

Get your pecker out of the pool!!

This isn't a ranked list, but let's begin:
- The 4 week wait from the end of the College Football regular season to the College football playoff.
- Basing college football rankings on sports writers' opinions and their program bias.
- Soccer players flopping
- Baseball pitchers getting mad that a batter watched a home run for too long or didn't act correctly.
- All the players from the bullpen taking 5 minutes to run all the way across the field when there's a minor argument at the plate just to stand around.
- The pettiness of MLB hall of fame voters
- The NBA not updating the game as far as keeping the 3 point line where it is to encourage non-stop 3's.
- The NBA not allowing officials to swallow the whistle when people like James Harden perform pathetic shot attempts and base their entire game on trying to draw a foul rather than trying to score.
- NFL Holding/blocking calls in the NFL that are on the other side of the play that have no bearing on the outcome of the play.
- NFL Pass interference calls at the spot of the foul. Make it 15 yards for a regular PI, and if it's a flagrant foul, it can be at the spot.
- Maintaining human beings for calling strikes in baseball. Switch to laser box grid.
- Allowing pro golfers to continue to use state of the art technology to continually break golf courses. Baseball uses wood bats when metal is available, make pro golfers have limits on their clubs and balls.
- In the same tone, make Tennis players give up the space technology rackets and use wood rackets to bring back the serve and volley.
- Baseball umpire's little-men complex and their constant involvement into games with ejections because their feelings got hurt.
- The NCAA's existence, and raking in billions while players are expected to be pure amateurs.
- FIFA's corruption for World Cup locations and how much they make from the host country.
- Tic Tac roughing the passer penalties in the NFL

That's all I got right now, feel free to comment or add others.

I think you brought up many good gripes, thanks, well done. --- My additions:

College playoffs need to start sooner, like early December, include 8 or 12 teams, and have the semi-finals or the final on New Years day.. It took the despicable NCAA 30 years too long to have a playoff, but even at 4 teams now, that is still not working because the votes can be subjective and the 5th or 6th team may often be as good as the others.
Plus so many of these other bowl games have little interest because the winner goes nowhere.

The NFL needs to stop the clock whenever the player goes out of bounds. I do not know when that rule changed, but now it is only in the last 2 minutes they stop the clock for out of bounds is my understanding. Hate that. ---- I also like the college rule where the clock stops when a team makes a first down until the chains are reset.

I think it should be only one foot in bounds is needed for a legitimate catch like in college football. Easier to call and it makes sense.

I am fed up with show boating. Why they allow the whole defensive team to run into the end zone and get a group photo of them all hamming it up after someone makes an interception or whatever --- this is ridiculous and the NFL is making things worse. IMO

If the NFL is going to have booth reviews on calls, then allow 2 coaches challenges per half and allow them on pass interference calls. For one, it is not always easy for an official to make a well-informed decision in real time, and the impact of a good call or a bad call on a game is often critical.

Put the extra point kick back at the 2 yard line. There is enough drama in an extra point where a team can go for 2 points if they wish. No need to make the kick a dicey play as well.

Show the cheerleaders once in a while. They deserve some exposure or do not have them. I love how major networks think seeing a girl dance is going to poison our minds. In this day and age of sex is everywhere, I doubt it will have an impact.

Last edited:

College playoffs need to start sooner, like early December, include 8 or 12 teams, and have the semi-finals or the final on New Years day.. It took the despicable NCAA 30 years too long to have a playoff, but even at 4 teams now, that is still not working because the votes can be subjective and the 5th or 6th team may often be as good as the others.
Plus so many of these other bowl games have little interest because the winner goes nowhere.
Very much agree. I thought 8 was good, but I'm okay with 12 that is going to happen in 2024.

If they can untangle this horrible system, it'd be nice. I think another option is for major schools to simply leave the corrupt, bloated, unnecessary NCAA and start their own conferences.
The NFL needs to stop the clock whenever the player goes out of bounds. I do not know when that rule changed, but now it is only in the last 2 minutes they stop the clock for out of bounds is my understanding. Hate that. ---- I also like the college rule where the clock stops when a team makes a first down until the chains are reset.
On that note, I always thought football is so often anti-climactic.. as the final seconds will be upon us in a close game, and the winning team is kneeling. I had the idea of the clock stopping at the end of every play no matter what in the final 2 min or final min. That way, it takes away the knee down, and teams have to continue to produce successful play until the end.

Billion dollar entities like the NBA and NFL using college as a farm system costing students and taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars per year.
How dare those college students get an education!

I think it should be only one foot in bounds is needed for a legitimate catch like in college football. Easier to call and it makes sense.

I am fed up with show boating. Why they allow the whole defensive team to run into the end zone and get a group photo of them all hamming it up after someone makes an interception or whatever --- this is ridiculous and the NFL is making things worse. IMO

If the NFL is going to have booth reviews on calls, then allow 2 coaches challenges per half and allow them on pass interference calls. For one, it is not always easy for an official to make a well-informed decision in real time, and the impact of a good call or a bad call on a game is often critical.

Put the extra point kick back at the 2 yard line. There is enough drama in an extra point where a team can go for 2 points if they wish. No need to make the kick a dicey play as well.

Show the cheerleaders once in a while. They deserve some exposure or do not have them. I love how major networks think seeing a girl dance is going to poison our minds. In this day and age of sex is everywhere, I doubt it will have an impact.
You wanna see the goods? Buy a ticket and go to the game.

One of the most silly things in sports is that in Hockey, an assist gets the same number of points as a goal. And they can give two assists for a single goal. Utterly ridiculous.

And as I've written often before in this space, I have no problem with college sports, however,
  • The teams should be made up of actual students,
  • No athletic scholarships,
  • No coach can earn more than a full professor,
  • Limit roster size to a rational number.
And of course the NFL and NBA should be sponsoring different levels of "minor leagues" but that cannot be mandated by law.

Nobody came close...

The DUMBEST thing in sports is Lia Thomas

Lookie lookie, the man beat all the girls again

The SMARTEST thing and Play ofthe Day would be

One of the girl swimmers racing Lia Thomas concerned DAD slugging Lia in the face...

Get your pecker out of the pool!!

I was going to say something similar

The dumbest thing in sports is allowing men/trannies/ transvestites whatever they are called.......compete against women!

It's not only dumb.....it's incredibly stupid!

• Thanks
Reactions: EMH
Why are star players going to college anyway?

Let the Rockets and Suns have a farm team like they do in baseball and stop expecting the States to build arenas that sit empty for most of the year.

What is going on in Happy Valley today at the stadium. Nothing. Just like 300+ days a year. Yet every day the citizens of PA are paying for upkeep on it.
They still bring in a lot of money. College football and Men's College basketball pays for most other sports at the universities for men and women. The people who run the other sports will argue about how much they get for their programs from that.

They still bring in a lot of money. College football and Men's College basketball pays for most other sports at the universities for men and women.
And if we didn't have football and basketball, they wouldn't have to pay for any of it.
The people who run the other sports will argue about how much they get for their programs from that.
Circular logic at it's finest.

We need these sports to fund other sports

Forum List

Back