🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Nanny/Police State: NYC Ban On Large Sugared Drinks...

This should get all the loyal Nanny/Police Staters very excited.

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible,’ ” Mr. Bloomberg said in an interview on Wednesday in the Governor’s Room at City Hall.

“New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something,” he said. “I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do.”

A spokesman for the New York City Beverage Association, an arm of the soda industry’s national trade group, criticized the city’s proposal on Wednesday. The industry has clashed repeatedly with the city’s health department, saying it has unfairly singled out soda; industry groups have bought subway advertisements promoting their cause.

“The New York City health department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top,” the industry spokesman, Stefan Friedman, said. “It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity. These zealous proposals just distract from the hard work that needs to be done on this front"...

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Wow! Bloomberg a Control Freak! Who Knew! :lol:

What's next? Potato Chips? Under Law, you can now only eat one?

I wonder if someone could use the "But, But, But, I didn't swallow" defense.

Jillian, where are you on this one?

Will you admit at least, that Bloomberg is like a bad Penney? :lol:

This is NYC. Obama, though a terrible Marxist, is not responsibile for this. NYC has a habit and long track record of these social engineering deals. LOLberals love this shit because it means people are forced to do what they think is right.

That's why LOLberalism should be fucking banned ina free society. Banned.

When was the last time that NYC had a liberal Mayor?

I don't care what party Bloomberg claims affiliation to. He's a LOLberal nanny state central planning statist. This city, this state is a "progressive" as they come.

Anal Retentive. ;) Control Freak. ;) You know, Progressive.

Bowels movements are next. Only one per day per person. Any additional shit downs will cost you money on the state installed lid lock device. Credit and debit cards accepted for the transaction.

And wheat grass drink

Can the government forcing this stuff on us really work? I just go to the gym 3 days a week because I want to, not because someone is forcing me.

I go to the gym 5 times a week, last year i stopped drinking caffeine. I've been eating healthy breakfast and lunch the last few months, last week I started eating healthy dinners (which sucks a lot btw). But the only reason I do anything healthy is because of gov't, if they didn't force me to do these things I'd need a wall knocked out of my bedroom to ever get out.

You can get help for that, you know.

There is no such thing as the public. Just a collection of disobedient children who have to be forced to get their veggies.

Can the government forcing this stuff on us really work? I just go to the gym 3 days a week because I want to, not because someone is forcing me.

I go to the gym 5 times a week, last year i stopped drinking caffeine. I've been eating healthy breakfast and lunch the last few months, last week I started eating healthy dinners (which sucks a lot btw). But the only reason I do anything healthy is because of gov't, if they didn't force me to do these things I'd need a wall knocked out of my bedroom to ever get out.

You can get help for that, you know.

In that hypothetical I'd only accept help if the forklift that lowered me was gov't owned.

What next? Ban cheeseburgers? So much for land of the free

What's next is government regulated portion control for everything. You might still get a cheeseburger, but doubles will be illegal. That 16 oz steak you used to like will get you a fine and the restaurant put out of business. The law will be limited to 6 oz steaks. Or, no steaks, but a tofu substitute. If you want a double dip chocolate ice cream cone, you can always buy two.

I just heard Bloomberg allude to the proposals under consideration to Matt Lauer of this very thing.

can bloomberg just do this, as if he were King? i think it would be unconstitutional....

that aside, just order 2 16oz bottles or 2 16 oz cups of coke....he's stopping nothing!

just ridiculous!

The cost is significantly higher.

I had three girls close in age. One large soda for them to share cost a fraction of what three small ones did.

This is just leftists attacking the poor, yet again....

The attack on smokers was just the tip of the ice berg, now we have people going after soda and you know they are eyeing alcohol and want to ban it.

Bingo!

I don't smoke, in fact I HATE smoke around me.

BUT it just isn't my right or the right of the government to tell others what they can put in their bodies.

Forum List

Back