Napster: Modern Civics

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
What did the piracy-dilemma scenario of Napster (the unregulated distribution of entertainment-related intellectual property on the Internet) reveal about modern age civil procedures?

When I watch the Batman (DC Comics) comic book adapted vigilantism-themed show "Gotham" (Fox TV), I think about our modern age fascination with urbanization-paranoia related crime.

Remember in the 1990s when news reports of individuals committing copycat crimes modeled after the violence-glorification images in Oliver Stone's controversial "Natural Born Killers" (1994) made us think how the media promotes a dangerously lackadaisical attitude towards human behavior?

Our modern world is governed by capitalism-gauged profiteerism. When people watch Hollywood (USA) movies such as "The Wolf of Wall Street" (2013), they get the impression that self-aggrandizement is ironically profitable.

Stories of foreign terrorists engaging in espionage-related network hacking prompts the NSA (National Security Agency) to initiate more active monitoring of Internet activity.

It's no wonder that youngsters today get the impression that the media is 'encouraging' piracy and daredevil behaviors.

I go to the supermarket and purchase a box of Lucky Charms breakfast cereal, which features the colorful Irish leprechaun (a fortune-hunting imp) as its marketing mascot.

I go to the video store and rent the Hollywood (USA) horror film "Friday the 13th: Part III" (1982) which presents the story of a maniacal hockey-mask wearing serial killer named Jason Voorhees stalking wayward American teenagers in the forest near a lake and creating natural goosebumps about human traffic misfortunes. Maybe Jason Voorhees is the artistic rendition of the American version of the Irish leprechaun which we see flaunted on Lucky Charms breakfast cereal boxes.

Is our modern consumerism culture (i.e., eBay, eTrade, Facebook, etc.) creating a new type of fortune-paranoia stalker or modern version of Jack the Ripper? Why do we make paranoia-perception movies like "Ghost in the Machine" (1993) these days?

How do we declare war on piracy philosophy? How symbolic is the legal regulation of the Napster dilemma?

:afro:

Napster:

Napster - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Wow, I almost followed some of that. Even smells like there's a point lurking.

You sure watch a lotta movies though.

Neo vs. Jason X

I definitely have a point.

And I do love movies.

In fact...

I'm a big fan of the Friday the 13th horror film franchise and the Matrix sci-fi film franchise.

In the Friday the 13th franchise, we find the iconic hockey-mask wearing, machete-wielding super-psycho zombie Jason Voorhees, and in the adapted film "Jason X" (2001), we find the killer leaving his cherished abode of Crystal Lake in the woods and being resurrected in bionic form on a futuristic ship in outer space.

In the Matrix film franchise, we find a cyber-Messiah named Neo contending with an army of computerized machines intent on subjugating the human race.

I'd like to see a video game pitting Neo against Jason X in a battle scenario --- if only to illuminate my point that modern inventions such as Napster promote interesting discussion about pedestrian folklore.

:afro:

Neo

Jason X

jtm.jpg

Forum List

Back