National or state's law?

The irony here is that, by forcing the issue as a national referendum, gun rights enthusiasts have raised gun control to the level of national legislation. Far better to keep it local, with only the most egregious violations seen as challenges to the Second.

Living in close proximity to both West Philly and Camden NJ, it's seems idiotic for me to tell local residents they can't pass local ordinances to control guns in their midst. I might question the efficacy or wisdom of such laws, but I don't live there. My children don't go to their schools or play in their streets. It's none of my business and, as long as such laws are clearly announced and accommodations are made for people traveling through ('check your guns at the door'), I don't have a problem with local governments pursuing policies that fit their needs.

Funny how the Conservatives trumpet their support for state's rights in every occasion but gun laws. How about it, wingnuts? Should the various states have the right to shut down gun violence however they are able, of can we really put out fires with gasoline and douse gun violence with even more guns?

They know about the Supremacy clause in the constitution. Thats why they dont want it to be federal.

Some things are meant to be thought of as "concrete", Wry. The Bill Of Rights is one of them.

If so, calumny - libel, slander - yelling fire in a crowed theater, fraud, etc. would be protected by the first amendment, would they not?

Not neccessarily. Libel & slander are not criminal offenses for the most part any way, genius. Only a few states have criminal defamation laws. If libel and slander were federal crimes, we would have to toss 99.99% of our politicians & "news" media in the clink.

Well then, if a few states have criminal defamation laws, why can't a few states or cities have gun control laws?

And let's not go to the Supreme Court, since most of the concrete thinkers object to any interpretation of its text, they must also reject Marbury if they are to be consistent and credible.

So those states and individuals that are united in supporting gun control and safety are to be ignored to accomodate gun enthusiasts?
Are those who seem to feel that guns solve everything to define "freedom" for the rest of us?
NO....and the hypocracy that often characterizes the NRA supported right wing is clearly evident here..."small government" my ass....only when it suits them..

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

True.

Regardless the merits of the issue, that conservatives advocate "small government" is a myth.

Some things are meant to be thought of as "concrete", Wry. The Bill Of Rights is one of them.

If so, calumny - libel, slander - yelling fire in a crowed theater, fraud, etc. would be protected by the first amendment, would they not?

Not neccessarily. Libel & slander are not criminal offenses for the most part any way, genius. Only a few states have criminal defamation laws. If libel and slander were federal crimes, we would have to toss 99.99% of our politicians & "news" media in the clink.

mmm...libel and slander are still civil offenses for which "free speech" is infringed; and, yelling "fire" in the circumstances I posted where death and injury occur a result of said speech are both torts and criminal everywhere. Are they, or are they not Einstein.

So those states and individuals that are united in supporting gun control and safety are to be ignored to accomodate gun enthusiasts?
Are those who seem to feel that guns solve everything to define "freedom" for the rest of us?
NO....and the hypocracy that often characterizes the NRA supported right wing is clearly evident here..."small government" my ass....only when it suits them..

True.

Regardless the merits of the issue, that conservatives advocate "small government" is a myth.

Indeed. It's about like believing liberals stand for equal rights.

In my opinion as well as others, libel & slander laws are unconstitutional. Guess I shouldve said that too.

Well then, if a few states have criminal defamation laws, why can't a few states or cities have gun control laws?

And let's not go to the Supreme Court, since most of the concrete thinkers object to any interpretation of its text, they must also reject Marbury if they are to be consistent and credible.

In my opinion as well as others, libel & slander laws are unconstitutional. Guess I shouldve said that too.

In your opinion? In your opinion has little weight sans evidence. The prohibition againt calumny has a long history, at least as long as the existence of the ten commandments, to wit:

Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor

True.

Indeed. It's about like believing liberals stand for equal rights.

Or how liberals support the LGBT community.

Straight talk about gay Republican congressional candidate Carl DeMaio | Fox News

Poll: The National Rifle Association wants Congress to require that concealed weapons permits issued in one state be recognized everywhere. Do you agree? - Washington Times

Poll: The National Rifle Association wants Congress to require that concealed weapons permits issued in one state be recognized everywhere. Do you agree?

You can vote at the link but notice that 80% disagree with the state's right to make their own law. Who didn't see that coming? :badgrin:

It is hypocritical that so many limited government advocates are pushing for national micromanagement of local gun policies.

It's called the Full Faith & Credit Clause of the Constitution...you should have learned about it around seventh grade.

Forum List

Back