Navy Crews Found at Fault for Collisions

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
“Two accidents that claimed the lives of 17 sailors and wounded dozens more resulted from complete breakdowns in standard Navy procedures and poor decision making by officers and sailors on the bridge of the two warships, according to a Navy report obtained by Defense News.”

Navy crews at fault in fatal collisions, investigations find

ON THE UPSIDE, THEY ACED THEIR “DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION” TRAINING!

“Two accidents that claimed the lives of 17 sailors and wounded dozens more resulted from complete breakdowns in standard Navy procedures and poor decision making by officers and sailors on the bridge of the two warships, according to a Navy report obtained by Defense News.”

Navy crews at fault in fatal collisions, investigations find

ON THE UPSIDE, THEY ACED THEIR “DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION” TRAINING!
They did ace their "diversity and inclusion" training? Give evidence of your claim.

-anti-H. Clinton actor Morgan Freeman approves your message

Always the fault of the sailors/soldiers. Cannot offend those contractors. Sickening.

People need to read the article which presents in detail the Navy's findings concerning the two accidents.

It was a deadly mixture of failure to follow procedure, command negligence, lack of training, personnel fatigue, and last minute confusion on the bridge right before the collision . ...... :cool:

People need to read the article which presents in detail the Navy's findings concerning the two accidents.

It was a deadly mixture of failure to follow procedure, command negligence, lack of training, personnel fatigue, and last minute confusion on the bridge right before the collision . ...... :cool:

sounds like a familiar conclusion --------BOILER PLATE

When there is a collision at sea the crew are ALWAYS to blame. There is hundreds of years of procedure that has been developed to prevent those collisions. Violate procedure (human decisions and volition) and disasters occur.

It ain't rocket science.

When there is a collision at sea the crew are ALWAYS to blame. There is hundreds of years of procedure that has been developed to prevent those collisions. Violate procedure (human decisions and volition) and disasters occur.

It ain't rocket science.

It IS rocket science for a whole bunch of green kids. -----do not mock them------they were my children when I was in the navy----
Innocent kids with far too much on their little innocent baby shoulders

It ain't rocket science.

It IS rocket science for a whole bunch of green kids. -----do not mock them------they were my children when I was in the navy----
Innocent kids with far too much than their little innocent baby shoulders

I'm not mocking anyone. 17 US sailors died due to incompetence. There is no way on Earth that a US warship should EVER collide with ANYTHING. They are far too capable. The ONLY way that a collision can occur is gross negligence, or incompetence.

It ain't rocket science.

Innocent kids with far too much than their little innocent baby shoulders

I'm not mocking anyone. 17 US sailors died due to incompetence. There is no way on Earth that a US warship should EVER collide with ANYTHING. They are far too capable. The ONLY way that a collision can occur is gross negligence, or incompetence.

everyone makes mistakes----even green kids from the broken homes of the sticks of Texas and Alabama-----I know those poor kids-----they are OVER WHELMED

Always the fault of the sailors/soldiers. Cannot offend those contractors. Sickening.
In this case, they are correct. These accidents should never have happened. Fast, mobile ships struck by massive slow commercial ships. The officers were not doing their jobs, and, as a consequence of that, neither were the sailors. And the Pacific Admiral of the 7th Fleet was relieved of duty. Quite justly. That is where the buck stops.

Received a copy of the report. Its unclassified and released by CNO. Highlights are not mine.
For FITZ, the bridge team did know of the other ship. NO lookouts posted (Starboard or port). The OOD failed to appreciate the danger or take action to prevent the collision. No call to CO. No attempt to make radio contact. No dissent from any watchstander. CIC failed to back them up. In findings, it states the FITZ bridge t...eam had unsatisfactory knowledge of the rules of the road and were not aware of basic radar fundamentals. Failed to realize in a traffic separation scheme. Did not use AIS for them or other ships. Watchstanders realized problems and errors but did not speak up.
For McCAIN, failed to follow rules of the road. Set special sea and anchor detail when already in TSS. No loss of steering: a misunderstanding on who had helm control resulted in no one having helm control. They also accidentally split throttles resulting in twisting the ship :
upload_2017-11-2_5-41-48.png

upload_2017-11-2_5-42-9.png

upload_2017-11-2_5-43-48.png

upload_2017-11-2_5-44-2.png

upload_2017-11-2_5-44-15.png

upload_2017-11-2_5-44-32.png

Not enough crew to properly man the ships.

Just read a lengthy article in Military.com about the findings and recommendations to correct. One item was lack of taking for responsibility while on duty. As stated, no physical lookouts due to shortage of crew.

Really no excuse for any of the collisions. The ships have outstanding radar and sonar systems. Computers should've set off alarms of possible closing of another vessel.

I'm wondering if we are also seeing a society of nobody being ready to take responsibility. "It's not my job to do that." Or fear of what a wrong decision might bring.

Forum List

Back