Nearly 7,000 unaffiliated Colorado voters nullified primary votes by turning in ballots for both

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
One in 42 unaffiliated voters who tried to participate in Colorado’s first-ever open primaries flubbed it by submitting both Democratic and Republican ballots — ensuring neither was counted.

...Overall turnout among all registered voters last week was 30 percent. Among unaffiliated voters, turnout was about 19 percent.

The initiative gives unaffiliated voters a choice of which party’s primary to participate in.

Since Colorado is a mail-ballot state, that means registered voters without Democratic or Republican affiliations were sent both ballots and told to return only one — a message reinforced by the state’s UChooseCOcampaign.

But in the weeks before the primary, Secretary of State Wayne Williams and county clerks sounded the alarm publicly, saying that early submissions suggested plenty of early voters were not reading their ballot instructions carefully and were filling out both ballots.

Nearly 7,000 unaffiliated Colorado voters nullified their primary votes by turning in ballots for both parties

I know better but it's way more funny to think 7,000 voters just trolled the primaries.

From your link:

State election officials say 2.4 percent rejection rate was much lower than expected for first open primaries

From your link:

State election officials say 2.4 percent rejection rate was much lower than expected for first open primaries
Interesting! If they claim the election is an OPEN primary, why are there ballots for both the D side AND the R side? That is exactly how a CLOSED primary is defined to eliminate cross voting and keeping Indies like myself from voting for either R or D candidates.

From your link:

Interesting! If they claim the election is an OPEN primary, why are there ballots for both the D side AND the R side? That is exactly how a CLOSED primary is defined to eliminate cross voting and keeping Indies like myself from voting for either R or D candidates.

Pfffttt..... go pick out your freaking pom poms right now, buddy. Red or blue and that's it.

Forum List

Back