Need advice

I'm just guessing they were giving you an excuse, and that they were just looking out for your safety and didn't want you out walking alone out in that area. Maybe they know some people have been committing vandalism in that area, or maybe they suspect meth labs there. If you were to stumble on someone's meth lab, they will shoot you.
Maybe the cops got a meth operation going on inside the plant. Yes, maybe it's not really a water treatment plant or its not only a water treat.ent plant.

Holy shit I've seen dozens of deer carcassas on the ground they said that's where they put road kill but maybe those deer od'd on meth or whatever poisons they are dumping.

I may have stumbled onto something I shouldn't have.

Unless I get the OK I won't go back. I'll stay out of it. My last name isn't drew or hardy

I'm just guessing they were giving you an excuse, and that they were just looking out for your safety and didn't want you out walking alone out in that area. Maybe they know some people have been committing vandalism in that area, or maybe they suspect meth labs there. If you were to stumble on someone's meth lab, they will shoot you.

So the best excuse you can come up with is the police were protecting their meth operation.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

No... they were protecting a citizen from someone else's potential meth operation. Maybe one they are doing an investigation on.

Maybe the cops got a meth operation going on inside the plant. Yes, maybe it's not really a water treatment plant or its not only a water treat.ent plant.

Holy shit I've seen dozens of deer carcassas on the ground they said that's where they put road kill but maybe those deer od'd on meth or whatever poisons they are dumping.

Unless I get the OK I won't go back. I'll stay out of it. My last name isn't drew or hardy

No, not a police run meth operation. They are investigating someone that could potentially be making meth out there in that area, and they don't want you to stumble on it and end up getting shot.

I walk my dog near a water treatment plant and wetlands/woods. Yesterday the cops pull up and I say,"is there a problem officers?" And they tell me "I'm not supposed to be out here" and I say why? They give me every reason from "for my safety" to its private land but every reason they give is not a good one. It's public land, no trespassing signs.

So what should be my first step? I don't want to defy them and just go back. They could be right? Can cops tell you not to be somewhere for any reason? I really want to challenge this. I'm going to call the mayor.

It was just strange. They didn't say "you can't" they said they would like it if I didn't come. I didn't want to be disrespectful I should have asked them what if I come back. Will they arrest me?

It was funny the one cop points to a sign with his flashlight and I read it. It said no dumping! Didn't say no trespassing.

I also thought, "how free are we really when I can't find some public woods and walk my dog without cops who don't know the laws telling innocent people what they can and can't do. Even if what I'm doing is legal.

I'll let you know what I find out. I will persue this.

PS. The cops were very polite but I didn't push them. I didn't challenge them. Blacks need to take my advice. Even though I feel I was right I didn't fight with the officer. They have bosses I will speak to. Maybe I'm wrong. I know my rights but I'm not 100% sure it's on to be where I was. Can't wait to find out.

I also didn't push too hard cause I had weed in the car. Lol

A water treatment plant is usually surrounded by a tall chain link fence with barbed wire on top or at least the one I once worked at. Weed in the car and they search and find it, You're Busted! You were not walking your dog on private but public property and there may be hoodlums in the woods that will kill you and your dog. Pepper Spray does not stop a man with a gun. I am not siding with the cops but think they were concerned about your safety.
The plant is surrounded by fence. I'm on the other side.

No hoodlums in my neighborhood and I'm a guy so I should be free to walk in scary places.
If there is a fence and you go inside of it this is trespassing.

So you were trespassing.

That is a misdemeanor crime.

They could have hauled you in and thrown you in jail.

The deer may be being killed by the chlorine from the processing plant.

It can kill you too. And kill your dog.

That's why the fence.

I walk my dog near a water treatment plant and wetlands/woods. Yesterday the cops pull up and I say,"is there a problem officers?" And they tell me "I'm not supposed to be out here" and I say why? They give me every reason from "for my safety" to its private land but every reason they give is not a good one. It's public land, no trespassing signs.

So what should be my first step? I don't want to defy them and just go back. They could be right? Can cops tell you not to be somewhere for any reason? I really want to challenge this. I'm going to call the mayor.

It was just strange. They didn't say "you can't" they said they would like it if I didn't come. I didn't want to be disrespectful I should have asked them what if I come back. Will they arrest me?

It was funny the one cop points to a sign with his flashlight and I read it. It said no dumping! Didn't say no trespassing.

I also thought, "how free are we really when I can't find some public woods and walk my dog without cops who don't know the laws telling innocent people what they can and can't do. Even if what I'm doing is legal.

PS. The cops were very polite but I didn't push them. I didn't challenge them. Blacks need to take my advice. Even though I feel I was right I didn't fight with the officer. They have bosses I will speak to. Maybe I'm wrong. I know my rights but I'm not 100% sure it's on to be where I was. Can't wait to find out.

A water treatment plant is usually surrounded by a tall chain link fence with barbed wire on top or at least the one I once worked at. Weed in the car and they search and find it, You're Busted! You were not walking your dog on private but public property and there may be hoodlums in the woods that will kill you and your dog. Pepper Spray does not stop a man with a gun. I am not siding with the cops but think they were concerned about your safety.

No hoodlums in my neighborhood and I'm a guy so I should be free to walk in scary places.

So you were trespassing.

I didn't cross the fence. There's a gate before the water treatment plant preventing someone from driving back but not from walking. And it doesn't say no trespassing.

Based on everything I'm hearing I'm not going to go back there again

Was there barbed wire on top of the fence?
Yes and there are wood on the other side of the fence I let my dog chase deer and everything else. Be loves it. And I love I found a place no one else goes. Now a days you can't even be alone in the woods unless it's dark. Me and my dog go even though it's dark. I wrote the mayor I'll let you know what they say

Certain assets are civic and national security assets.

Water treatment plants, transformers, damns, etc. Also communications hubs, cell towers, radio towers, TV and radio station towers, etc.

They are usually surrounded by chain-link fence, and topped with barbed wire. Also, they have security cameras around the paramiter, even if they are not always easily identifiable.

Any time suspicious activity is reported or seen near these areas, either police, municipal or private contractors are called out to check out what is going on. This has been especially true since 9/11.

Do they know you aren't a terrorist? Probably. Does the city? No. The folks watching the monitors are probably bored as hell and just itching for a reason to talk to the dispatcher.

It's better to know the system is working than to think a group of radicalized wackos from Dearborn with some bolt cutters could come in and raise hell with some poison killing hundreds of thousands. . .. :eek:

I live seven or eight blocks away from a damn.

Out of towners will often provoke this response when the people monitoring the damn don't know who they are.

It might behoove you to contact the water treatment plant, identify yourself, give them your info, and ask them if you can walk your dog there. ;)

Yes and there are wood on the other side of the fence I let my dog chase deer and everything else. Be loves it. And I love I found a place no one else goes. Now a days you can't even be alone in the woods unless it's dark. Me and my dog go even though it's dark. I wrote the mayor I'll let you know what they say

Water treatment plants, transformers, damns, etc. Also communications hubs, cell towers, radio towers, TV and radio station towers, etc.

They are usually surrounded by chain-link fence, and topped with barbed wire. Also, they have security cameras around the paramiter, even if they are not always easily identifiable.

Any time suspicious activity is reported or seen near these areas, either police, municipal or private contractors are called out to check out what is going on. This has been especially true since 9/11.

Do they know you aren't a terrorist? Probably. Does the city? No. The folks watching the monitors are probably bored as hell and just itching for a reason to talk to the dispatcher.

It's better to know the system is working than to think a group of radicalized wackos from Dearborn with some bolt cutters could come in and raise hell with some poison killing hundreds of thousands. . .. :eek:

Out of towners will often provoke this response when the people monitoring the damn don't know who they are.

It might behoove you to contact the water treatment plant, identify yourself, give them your info, and ask them if you can walk your dog there. ;)

I got a reply:

Thank you for your email yesterday (and the one today to Mayor ****) regarding walking your dog. I reached out to our friends in the Police Department to ensure I was sharing accurate information regarding land use around the Water Treatment Facility. The water treatment plant is owned and maintained by the County. This property is closed for individual public use and should be considered a NO TRESPASSING area. The parcels around the facility are owned by the City of ****. These parcels are open for individual public use, provided there is no underlying criminal behavior. Examples of underlying criminal behavior would include (but not limited to) any ordinance violations such as littering, hunting, unleased animals, or dumping of refuse. I have attached a screen shot of a map showing the City of Novi owned properties in blue and the Oakland County parcel in green. The webpage to access this interactive map can be found on the city website here-

We will be sending this information out to all of our officers to remind them of which parcels are city-owned and what the allowable activities are on these properties. Please note, that the water treatment facility is considered critical infrastructure and we encourage our officers to patrol this area frequently and keep an eye out for any suspicious persons or activities. Please continue to utilize these parcels responsibly (including appropriate parking) and should you see any suspicious persons or criminal activity, please contact the Police Department immediately at 248-000-0000 for non-emergency calls, and, of course, 911 for any emergency situation.

Go down to the PD and ask them to clarify it.
Better to ask the City because the police won't tell you the truth. They'll tell you to stay away because they'd prefer that. But I don't give a fuck what they prefer.

I was right. See the email I was sent

If it's public land is it a park or something? If so some department has authority over it and could answer those questions definitively.

Where I'm at I can pull up maps through the tax assessment offices that are clickable/searchable that will bring up info on the registered owner of a given land parcel, be it an individual or public body. There's your contact.
I got my answer in case you are interested in the outcome

If it's public land is it a park or something? If so some department has authority over it and could answer those questions definitively.

Where I'm at I can pull up maps through the tax assessment offices that are clickable/searchable that will bring up info on the registered owner of a given land parcel, be it an individual or public body. There's your contact.
many water treatment plants are actually privately owned

Yep, could be. I'd be looking to find info on who owns the land, where the parcel borders are etc. Assessors office and records should have some/most of that.

If he was on public land not owned by the treatment plant it could be that the cops didn't know that either.
I don't assume the cops know what they are talking about because often times they don't. I got arrested once and I fought it and got off. They were wrong but I still put my hands behind my back and told it to the judge. Cost me $1000. I should have sued them for $1000 to get my lawyer bills paid for.
It is a mystery. You must solve it and let us know, but be careful.
:biggrin:
I cut and pasted the reply I got. The only thing the cops could fuck with me on is walking my dog without a leash. But why would I use a leash in the woods? LOL.

Here is your first problem. The Supreme Court decided that the cop is perfectly right in detaining you or arresting you for breaking a law, even if there is no such law. So if it is public property they can arrest you for trespassing and resisting arrest. Even when they are wrong they are right.

The courts will back up the cop even if you are able to demonstrate the property is public, county tax records should show who owns it.

It is bullshit, but the cops are untouchable and have the authority to do pretty much anything they want. They will shoot your dog and swear they were afraid for their lives. I've even see the cops arrest a woman who placed herself between the cop and the dog for interfering with a police officer performing his duty.

I'm sorry to say that being right is no defense against the abuses you invite by flaunting the instructions of the police. Proceed with caution.

The City of Novi is going to tell the cops that its ok for people to walk there. Stupid fucking cops. LOL They really need to be more professional and know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing and upholding.

So you were trespassing.

They would have been wrong.

The parcels around the facility are owned by the City of Novi. These parcels are open for individual public use, provided there is no underlying criminal behavior.

Here is your first problem. The Supreme Court decided that the cop is perfectly right in detaining you or arresting you for breaking a law, even if there is no such law. So if it is public property they can arrest you for trespassing and resisting arrest. Even when they are wrong they are right.

The courts will back up the cop even if you are able to demonstrate the property is public, county tax records should show who owns it.

It is bullshit, but the cops are untouchable and have the authority to do pretty much anything they want. They will shoot your dog and swear they were afraid for their lives. I've even see the cops arrest a woman who placed herself between the cop and the dog for interfering with a police officer performing his duty.

I'm sorry to say that being right is no defense against the abuses you invite by flaunting the instructions of the police. Proceed with caution.

The City of Novi is going to tell the cops that its ok for people to walk there. Stupid fucking cops. LOL They really need to be more professional and know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing and upholding.

It is to their advantage to be ignorant. You see if they swear they thought they were enforcing the law and the thought the law said you shouldn't be there they get away with a lot of abuses. Remember that cops get less training than a barber to get their license. That is who you are dealing with.

States require more training time to become a barber than a police officer - CNN.com

Chances are the driver of the garbage truck has had more training that the cops.

I never trust a cop. They are trained to lie as part of an investigative technique. I wouldn't give them the time of day without a subpoena.

I got a reply:

Thank you for your email yesterday (and the one today to Mayor ****) regarding walking your dog. I reached out to our friends in the Police Department to ensure I was sharing accurate information regarding land use around the Water Treatment Facility. The water treatment plant is owned and maintained by the County. This property is closed for individual public use and should be considered a NO TRESPASSING area. The parcels around the facility are owned by the City of ****. These parcels are open for individual public use, provided there is no underlying criminal behavior. Examples of underlying criminal behavior would include (but not limited to) any ordinance violations such as littering, hunting, unleased animals, or dumping of refuse. I have attached a screen shot of a map showing the City of Novi owned properties in blue and the Oakland County parcel in green. The webpage to access this interactive map can be found on the city website here-

We will be sending this information out to all of our officers to remind them of which parcels are city-owned and what the allowable activities are on these properties. Please note, that the water treatment facility is considered critical infrastructure and we encourage our officers to patrol this area frequently and keep an eye out for any suspicious persons or activities. Please continue to utilize these parcels responsibly (including appropriate parking) and should you see any suspicious persons or criminal activity, please contact the Police Department immediately at 248-000-0000 for non-emergency calls, and, of course, 911 for any emergency situation.
Print it out, and carry a copy of it with you when ever you walk your dog down there.

Keep your car clean in case it is searched, and have you dog on leach at all times.

It is to their advantage to be ignorant. You see if they swear they thought they were enforcing the law and the thought the law said you shouldn't be there they get away with a lot of abuses. Remember that cops get less training than a barber to get their license. That is who you are dealing with.

States require more training time to become a barber than a police officer - CNN.com

Chances are the driver of the garbage truck has had more training that the cops.

I never trust a cop. They are trained to lie as part of an investigative technique. I wouldn't give them the time of day without a subpoena.

This situation does illustrate how the cops need to be better trained and better managed. They should have been in touch with the station to confirm if I was trespassing or not. Yes it was two young cops sent out to learn as they go.

Why isn't there a cop school? A police academy. I know they exist but my cop buddy went to college 26 years ago and you are right he isn't required to stay up to date on the laws, no continuing education. For such an important job they sure are lazy about this

I got a reply:

Print it out, and carry a copy of it with you when ever you walk your dog down there.

Keep your car clean in case it is searched, and have you dog on leach at all times.
That's the problem. If I have to keep him on a leash that defeats the purpose of going into the woods. I could go to any old fucking park that has a sign "dog must be on a 6 foot leash". Lol

I got a reply:

That's the problem. If I have to keep him on a leash that defeats the purpose of going into the woods. I could go to any old fucking park that has a sign "dog must be on a 6 foot leash". Lol

In that case, my advice?

Move on out to the country. :spinner:

Shame on you. You can't give two policemen just a little privacy whilst they take care of themselves?

Or you wanted in on it, didn't you, you little fairy?

Forum List

Back