Need advice

If it's public land is it a park or something? If so some department has authority over it and could answer those questions definitively.

Where I'm at I can pull up maps through the tax assessment offices that are clickable/searchable that will bring up info on the registered owner of a given land parcel, be it an individual or public body. There's your contact.
many water treatment plants are actually privately owned

Yep, could be. I'd be looking to find info on who owns the land, where the parcel borders are etc. Assessors office and records should have some/most of that.

If he was on public land not owned by the treatment plant it could be that the cops didn't know that either.

I walk my dog near a water treatment plant and wetlands/woods. Yesterday the cops pull up and I say,"is there a problem officers?" And they tell me "I'm not supposed to be out here" and I say why? They give me every reason from "for my safety" to its private land but every reason they give is not a good one. It's public land, no trespassing signs.

So what should be my first step? I don't want to defy them and just go back. They could be right? Can cops tell you not to be somewhere for any reason? I really want to challenge this. I'm going to call the mayor.

It was just strange. They didn't say "you can't" they said they would like it if I didn't come. I didn't want to be disrespectful I should have asked them what if I come back. Will they arrest me?

It was funny the one cop points to a sign with his flashlight and I read it. It said no dumping! Didn't say no trespassing.

I also thought, "how free are we really when I can't find some public woods and walk my dog without cops who don't know the laws telling innocent people what they can and can't do. Even if what I'm doing is legal.

I'll let you know what I find out. I will persue this.

PS. The cops were very polite but I didn't push them. I didn't challenge them. Blacks need to take my advice. Even though I feel I was right I didn't fight with the officer. They have bosses I will speak to. Maybe I'm wrong. I know my rights but I'm not 100% sure it's on to be where I was. Can't wait to find out.

I also didn't push too hard cause I had weed in the car. Lol
I suggest that next time you try resisting as an experiment.

BTW,
Cops should have busted you for not sharing your dope.

If it is public land, then you can use it.

You might ask them WHY they do not want you there?

Maybe the cops are operating a meth lab inside the water plant...who knows?

I was wondering if maybe it wasn't safe to be back there? Dirty water/chemicals? I don't know. But they didn't want to tell me??? Because they kept trying to say things like, "what if you got hurt back there?". Who gives a fuck? Can I not go into the woods by myself because something might happen to me?

I walk my dog near a water treatment plant and wetlands/woods. Yesterday the cops pull up and I say,"is there a problem officers?" And they tell me "I'm not supposed to be out here" and I say why? They give me every reason from "for my safety" to its private land but every reason they give is not a good one. It's public land, no trespassing signs.

So what should be my first step? I don't want to defy them and just go back. They could be right? Can cops tell you not to be somewhere for any reason? I really want to challenge this. I'm going to call the mayor.

It was just strange. They didn't say "you can't" they said they would like it if I didn't come. I didn't want to be disrespectful I should have asked them what if I come back. Will they arrest me?

It was funny the one cop points to a sign with his flashlight and I read it. It said no dumping! Didn't say no trespassing.

I also thought, "how free are we really when I can't find some public woods and walk my dog without cops who don't know the laws telling innocent people what they can and can't do. Even if what I'm doing is legal.

PS. The cops were very polite but I didn't push them. I didn't challenge them. Blacks need to take my advice. Even though I feel I was right I didn't fight with the officer. They have bosses I will speak to. Maybe I'm wrong. I know my rights but I'm not 100% sure it's on to be where I was. Can't wait to find out.

A water treatment plant is usually surrounded by a tall chain link fence with barbed wire on top or at least the one I once worked at. Weed in the car and they search and find it, You're Busted! You were not walking your dog on private but public property and there may be hoodlums in the woods that will kill you and your dog. Pepper Spray does not stop a man with a gun. I am not siding with the cops but think they were concerned about your safety.
The plant is surrounded by fence. I'm on the other side.

No hoodlums in my neighborhood and I'm a guy so I should be free to walk in scary places.

I assumed that you meant a waste water treatment plant but you did not say that.

What's the difference? Maybe one treats the water before we drink it and the other cleans it after we flush???

Terrorists would love to contaminate our drinking supply. Maybe they worried about that?

I once got pulled over for parking in a place that the police officer told me was a high crime area, that is why he was patrolling it. Had nothing to do with race or anything else.

It sounds like this could be the same situation. Maybe they were told to watch the infrastructure and they realized you were not a risk thus the polite treatment. But they still had a job to do.

If i were you I would just find a different place to walk, maybe it would be for your own good if there is criminal activity in the area.
No crime. If anything they were worried I was dumping something or hunting.

If it's public land is it a park or something? If so some department has authority over it and could answer those questions definitively.

Where I'm at I can pull up maps through the tax assessment offices that are clickable/searchable that will bring up info on the registered owner of a given land parcel, be it an individual or public body. There's your contact.

Yep, could be. I'd be looking to find info on who owns the land, where the parcel borders are etc. Assessors office and records should have some/most of that.

If he was on public land not owned by the treatment plant it could be that the cops didn't know that either.
I don't assume the cops know what they are talking about because often times they don't. I got arrested once and I fought it and got off. They were wrong but I still put my hands behind my back and told it to the judge. Cost me $1000. I should have sued them for $1000 to get my lawyer bills paid for.

I don't assume the cops know what they are talking about because often times they don't. I got arrested once and I fought it and got off. They were wrong but I still put my hands behind my back and told it to the judge. Cost me $1000. I should have sued them for $1000 to get my lawyer bills paid for.
It is a mystery. You must solve it and let us know, but be careful.
:biggrin:

Obviously you have not had many interactions with the 'Thin Blue Line Gang'. The following are things you should do (this is not legal advise) when encountering one of these gang members:

1.) Video/audio record your interactions with them. They cannot stop you from doing so. Already been settled in Supreme Court. This is for your protection. If you do not record, you have no record of what transpired and most likely will get convicted of whatever charge the gangsters accuse you of.
2.) Refuse to answer questions without an attorney present. When cops ask questions they are looking for reasons to ticket or arrest you. Remember, these guys make their livings off money the courts extort from you, so they have a vested interest in busting your for something.
3.) Unless you are suspected of having committed a crime, are in the commission of committing a crime, or are about to commit a crime, you do not have to provide identification (Terry v. Ohio)
4.) Unless #3 applies, you cannot be legally detained. A detainment is actually an arrest since you are not free to exit the situation. Ask if you are being detained. If the cop doesn't answer continue to ask and ignore any questions he asks. Ask, "Am I being detained or am I free to go?"
5.) You do not have to let cops search your car without a warrant.

Most important of all of the above (and they are all very important) is to record every interaction with cops. It is best your recording automatically goes to a "cloud" on the internet where it can be retrieved later if needed. Even though it is illegal for cops to take your camera and delete it, many will do it anyway since cops are rarely held accountable for their actions.

Police are not your friends. Most have an average I.Q. and are on a power trip (think of your friend, the cop).

If the property you are walking your dog on is not posted with 'no trespassing' signs, odds are, it is okay to go there. You might call the treatment plant and ask if they own the property and, if so, get their permission to use it for walking your dog. If not, find out who owns the property and get permission. If it is within city limits, hunting deer is probably a no-no.If it is outside the city limits, contact the property owner and get permission.

They were nice but I feel like they were wrong and I don't like being bullied or told what to do even if it's nicely.

Don't be afraid to talk person to person with the cops. The Cops are the thin blue line that prevents anarchy in our society. Next time you see them have no pot in your car and your dog on a leash and smile and wave. They did not threaten you with a trespassing charge.

Pfui. Cops are no such thing.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

They were nice but I feel like they were wrong and I don't like being bullied or told what to do even if it's nicely.

Don't be afraid to talk person to person with the cops. The Cops are the thin blue line that prevents anarchy in our society. Next time you see them have no pot in your car and your dog on a leash and smile and wave. They did not threaten you with a trespassing charge.

What?

Here is your first problem. The Supreme Court decided that the cop is perfectly right in detaining you or arresting you for breaking a law, even if there is no such law. So if it is public property they can arrest you for trespassing and resisting arrest. Even when they are wrong they are right.

The courts will back up the cop even if you are able to demonstrate the property is public, county tax records should show who owns it.

It is bullshit, but the cops are untouchable and have the authority to do pretty much anything they want. They will shoot your dog and swear they were afraid for their lives. I've even see the cops arrest a woman who placed herself between the cop and the dog for interfering with a police officer performing his duty.

I'm sorry to say that being right is no defense against the abuses you invite by flaunting the instructions of the police. Proceed with caution.

Here is your first problem. The Supreme Court decided that the cop is perfectly right in detaining you or arresting you for breaking a law, even if there is no such law. So if it is public property they can arrest you for trespassing and resisting arrest. Even when they are wrong they are right.

The courts will back up the cop even if you are able to demonstrate the property is public, county tax records should show who owns it.

It is bullshit, but the cops are untouchable and have the authority to do pretty much anything they want. They will shoot your dog and swear they were afraid for their lives. I've even see the cops arrest a woman who placed herself between the cop and the dog for interfering with a police officer performing his duty.

I'm sorry to say that being right is no defense against the abuses you invite by flaunting the instructions of the police. Proceed with caution.

That's why I said yes sir and left and then wrote the Mayor this morning to find out who's wrong. No need to argue with people who have power over you.

Do I want to have a society where police don't have any authority? No. So I guess I can live with the way things went down. And would I want someone else being rude to those guys and pissing them off when they are just doing their job? I have to remind myself while I don't like authority, I like it that my neighborhood is safe and a remote spot like that is patrolled. If I were in Detroit I could be getting raped and murdered and no cop would ever come. And compared to all the police abuse I've seen on tv lately, this was not a bad encounter with the popoh.

And you are right. They could have gotten me for the no leash law.

But as far as private property. Even if it was private property, which I believe one side of the street might be, there were no NO TRESSPASSING signs. And I see commercial real estate signs on the road so maybe I was looking to buy some property. Unless it says no tresspassing, who are the cops to decide who can go look at the property and who can't? Did the owners tell the cops to patrol the property? I doubt it. But if it is private property I'm sure the owners wouldn't mind the cops kicking people like me off because if I got hurt I could sue them.

I believe you are referring to Heien v. North Carolina wherein a cop can be "ignorant of the laws" he enforces. "Mistake of fact" can be "sufficiently reasonable" to cover the cops screw-up.

"
Heien contends that the rationale
that permits reasonable errors of
fact does not extend to reasonable e
rrors of law, arguing that officers
in the field deserve a margin of
error when making factual assess
-
ments on the fly. An officer may, however, also be suddenly confront
-
ed with a situation requiring applicat
ion of an unclear statute. This
Court’s holding does not discourage officers from learning the law.
Because the Fourth Amendment tole
rates only objectively reasonable
mistakes, cf.
Whren
v.
United States
, 517 U. S. 806, 813, an officer
can gain no advantage through poor study. Finally, while the maxim
“Ignorance of the law is no excuse
” correctly implies that the State
cannot impose punishment based on a mistake of law, it does not
mean a reasonable mistake of law cannot justify an investigatory
stop. Pp. 4–12."

I believe you are referring to Heien v. North Carolina wherein a cop can be "ignorant of the laws" he enforces. "Mistake of fact" can be "sufficiently reasonable" to cover the cops screw-up.

"
Heien contends that the rationale
that permits reasonable errors of
fact does not extend to reasonable e
rrors of law, arguing that officers
in the field deserve a margin of
error when making factual assess
-
ments on the fly. An officer may, however, also be suddenly confront
-
ed with a situation requiring applicat
ion of an unclear statute. This
Court’s holding does not discourage officers from learning the law.
Because the Fourth Amendment tole
rates only objectively reasonable
mistakes, cf.
Whren
v.
United States
, 517 U. S. 806, 813, an officer
can gain no advantage through poor study. Finally, while the maxim
“Ignorance of the law is no excuse
” correctly implies that the State
cannot impose punishment based on a mistake of law, it does not
mean a reasonable mistake of law cannot justify an investigatory
stop. Pp. 4–12."

A cop should be able to use his god damn smart phone to look up a law or see if he's right or wrong.

Suri, can this guy walk his dog on public property?" lol

....walking on someone’s private property involves the illegal act of trespassing. We have very defined routes we are allowed to walk without much room for roaming off the path.

Germany allows walking through privately owned forests, unused meadows and fallow fields. In 2000, England and Wales passed the Countryside and Rights of Way Act, which gave people access to “mountain, moor, heath or down.”

Nordic and Scottish laws are even more generous. The 2003 Scottish Land Reform Act opened up the whole country for a number of pastimes, including mountain biking, horseback riding, canoeing, swimming, sledding, camping and most any activity that does not involve a motorized vehicle, so long as it’s carried out “responsibly.” In Sweden, landowners may be prohibited from putting up fences for the sole purpose of keeping people out. Walkers in many of these places do not have to pay money, ask for permission or obtain permits.

how did it come to this? How did this huge once-open expanse, a roamer's paradise, become a place where we are only allowed to walk along certain lines on a map? And as Ilgunas asks, wouldn’t we be better off if we could “legally amble over our rolling fields and through our shady woods, rather than have to walk alongside unscenic, noisy and dangerous roads?” Yes! There are numerous studies attesting to the benefits of spending time in nature; and walking is one of the best ways to combat the sedentary lifestyle that is helping to smother this country in ill health.

The right to roam freely was ingrained in early America, but that freedom began to slip away in the late 19th century. The South passed trespassing laws for racial reasons, Ilgunas explains, and elsewhere wealthy landowners became increasingly protective over game, which gave rise to trespassing and hunting laws. While in the 1920s a Supreme Court ruling determined that the public was allowed to travel on unenclosed private land, that freedom was rendered null in the presence of a simple “no trespassing” sign. The Supreme Court has given landowners more and more control of the “right to exclude” over the years. We have become vigilantly proprietary over the pieces of land for which we hold titles.

The idea of private property is so ingrained in our culture at this point backtracking on it, so to speak, may prove challenging if not impossible. And that's such a shame, especially for people who live in areas dominated by a lack of public lands on which to take a walk. And while landowners may scoff at the idea of allowing strangers, gasp, to walk across their woods, in Europe there are restrictions that seem to keep everyone happy. In Sweden, Ilgunas notes, walkers must stay at least 65 yards from residences and could be sent to jail for up to four years for destroying property; in other places there are laws restricting hunting or fishing.

“These laws are often friendly to landowners because, under many circumstances, landowners are given immunity from suit if the walker has an accident resulting from natural features of the landscape on the landowner’s property,” he adds.

In the meantime, there are not a whole lot of people advocating for roaming rights in the States and Ilgunas is calling for more dialog about opening the country back up to everyone.

“Something as innocent and wholesome as a walk in the woods shouldn’t be considered illegal or intrusive,” he concludes. “Walking across the so-called freest country on earth should be every person’s right.”

Why is it illegal to walk freely in most of the US?

What?

The cops are not a thin line between anything. They are not valiant heroes dedicated to defending diddly squat.

A water treatment plant is usually surrounded by a tall chain link fence with barbed wire on top or at least the one I once worked at. Weed in the car and they search and find it, You're Busted! You were not walking your dog on private but public property and there may be hoodlums in the woods that will kill you and your dog. Pepper Spray does not stop a man with a gun. I am not siding with the cops but think they were concerned about your safety.

No hoodlums in my neighborhood and I'm a guy so I should be free to walk in scary places.

Was there barbed wire on top of the fence?

I'm just guessing they were giving you an excuse, and that they were just looking out for your safety and didn't want you out walking alone out in that area. Maybe they know some people have been committing vandalism in that area, or maybe they suspect meth labs there. If you were to stumble on someone's meth lab, they will shoot you.

Was there barbed wire on top of the fence?
Yes and there are wood on the other side of the fence I let my dog chase deer and everything else. Be loves it. And I love I found a place no one else goes. Now a days you can't even be alone in the woods unless it's dark. Me and my dog go even though it's dark. I wrote the mayor I'll let you know what they say

I'm just guessing they were giving you an excuse, and that they were just looking out for your safety and didn't want you out walking alone out in that area. Maybe they know some people have been committing vandalism in that area, or maybe they suspect meth labs there. If you were to stumble on someone's meth lab, they will shoot you.

So the best excuse you can come up with is the police were protecting their meth operation.

Forum List

Back