Nev. lawmaker stirs firestorm over slavery remark

Only morons (which america obviously has plenty of) wouldn't understand his point. I do very clearly that is 1 politician who realizes he was elected by his peers to represent them!

This is how bad it is in ObamaLand, they have to scour the national media for any little distraction from the ObamaCare Titanic

Only morons (which america obviously has plenty of) wouldn't understand his point. I do very clearly that is 1 politician who realizes he was elected by his peers to represent them!

That's what I thought, at least he's willing to do what those who elected him into office wanted him to do. He used a bad example obviously to try to convey what lengths he would be willing to go to. The sad thruth is that most in office, especially at the federal level are all bought and paid for, so it's all a farse, none of them are representing the people that elected them, only the ones that paid for them. At least he's honest, which is more than you can say for 99% of the pols in office today.

That's what I thought, at least he's willing to do what those who elected him into office wanted him to do.
... .
Edmond Burke had some fine remarks in regards to the sentiment you express.

"Certainly, gentlemen, it ought to be the happiness and glory of a representative to live in the strictest union, the closest correspondence, and the most unreserved communication with his constituents.

Their wishes ought to have great weight with him; their opinion, high respect; their business, unremitted attention. It is his duty to sacrifice his repose, his pleasures, his satisfactions, to theirs; and above all, ever, and in all cases, to prefer their interest to his own.

But his unbiassed opinion, his mature judgment, his enlightened conscience, he ought not to sacrifice to you, to any man, or to any set of men living.

These he does not derive from your pleasure; no, nor from the law and the constitution. They are a trust from Providence, for the abuse of which he is deeply answerable.

Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

Representation: Edmund Burke, Speech to the Electors

Yeah a truly BAD example he used lol...I understand what he was saying but he should have known better than to use something as dumb as slavery to make his point. But don't let that stop the faux outrage here..

We understand logic, when you're a politician you just don't say anything to please the base, you have to show sound judgement.

That's what I thought, at least he's willing to do what those who elected him into office wanted him to do.
... .
Edmond Burke had some fine remarks in regards to the sentiment you express.

"Certainly, gentlemen, it ought to be the happiness and glory of a representative to live in the strictest union, the closest correspondence, and the most unreserved communication with his constituents.

Their wishes ought to have great weight with him; their opinion, high respect; their business, unremitted attention. It is his duty to sacrifice his repose, his pleasures, his satisfactions, to theirs; and above all, ever, and in all cases, to prefer their interest to his own.

But his unbiassed opinion, his mature judgment, his enlightened conscience, he ought not to sacrifice to you, to any man, or to any set of men living.

These he does not derive from your pleasure; no, nor from the law and the constitution. They are a trust from Providence, for the abuse of which he is deeply answerable.

Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

Representation: Edmund Burke, Speech to the Electors

And I agree, it has to be a balance, I didn't say this guy was right in his thinking, just that he at least realizes that he's supposed to be representing the people who elected him, not the ones who bought and paid for him to get into office. We don't have 'representatives' in the US anymore at the federal level, at least not any representing the normal voter's interests. They only care about themselves and the people that line their pockets.

He forgot to use Demtalk for slavery like, "Food Stamps, Unemployment benefits and public education"

He forgot to use Demtalk for slavery like, "Food Stamps, Unemployment benefits and public education"

Yep, pretty much the same thing as slavery, they just don't realize it. Debt is in the same category tho, and most of us are guilty of that as well.

His comments were swiftly denounced by Republicans and Democrats alike.
Read more at Nev. lawmaker stirs firestorm over slavery remark

He had nothing to denounce. People like him need to man up and stick by their words.

He was saying that he would do what those that elected him to do even if he didn't necessarily agree with them. That's what a public servant is supposed to do.

You liberal pussies are pathetic.

We understand logic, when you're a politician you just don't say anything to please the base, you have to show sound judgement.

I want my representative to be honest and not say what he thinks I want to hear.

You liberal pussies want to be coddled.

Grow a pair and be a fucking man!!

Forum List

Back