Never Trust A Man Who Mistreats Dogs

Yeah, that's it. "Taking a family dog on a trip" is the same thing as "strapping the family dog to the roof in a crate for 12 hours... with a windshield."

I love how you left out the most important details of the story in order to give your sarcasm credibility. this is a usual conservative tactic. Re-characterize the story in a completely false manner.

ironic post is obvious
:lol:

it would be obvious irony if it weren't completely true. trying to characterize the story as simply taking the dog on a family trip is dishonest.

as is your take on it :thup:

give my best to magnetic north

YOu know, I'm going to say something here.

seriously, WTF people. Romney destroys the lives of THOUSANDS of working Americans, and that gets a big yawn.

But he puts a dog in a carrier, and you all are going apeshit about it?

we're only doing it to piss you off, short round

i am no romney fan, but i find it amusing the only attacks people can come with on romney is that he drove to canada with his dog on the roof and he owned a private equity firm.

i am no romney fan, but i find it amusing the only attacks people can come with on romney is that he drove to canada with his dog on the roof and he owned a private equity firm.

When I first heard this story on msnbc, i thought the same thing. I am no romney fan, but it seemed like a low blow, like msnbc was being a little ridiculous, dedicating all of their airtime to trying to deface the republican front runner. Then, I got the full details of the story, and let it set in... It is pretty bad for anyone to do this. It did happen a long time ago, which may make it seem irrelevant given the fact people make mistakes and the fact that you have to allow for personal moral growth, but it does not seem that the Romney of yesterday is in any way morally distinctive from the Romney of today. We have no evidence for any improvement, and any indication of his character thirty years ago may be as true then as it is today, unless we have reason to believe otherwise, evidenced by recent actions. Unfortunately, his track record doesn't dispell any notions. He's a godamned politician.

Let's get serious on what true animal cruelty is:

Riverside authorities are searching for a man who tied a dog to a rope, then dragged her behind a pickup truck.

The 10-month-old white German shepherd survived and will recover.

Police got a 911 call from a passerby who saw the truck dragging the dog Wednesday night at Claycroft and Peacock lanes in Riverside. The driver eventually untied the dog and took off.
Riverside man drags dog behind pickup truck | abc7.com

Mears,Michigan - Three drunken men, none of whom has a valid driver's license dragged a dog behind their pickup truck on Thursday night on West Taylor Road near 48th Ave in Golden Township.

A video from a Mear's store showed the men putting an Irish setter in the back of a pickup truck. One man seemed to be disciplining the dog and then patted the dog's head as the man climbed into the truck. A gas station attendant stated the men appeared intoxicated.

Shortly after, a woman followed a bloody trail on the same road for approximately three miles. She called 911. Deputy Kevin Repo, a K-9 trainer investigated and later found the men at their home. One man stated the dog had either jumped or fallen out of the truck, and they had not realized what had happened. The men showed the the deputy where the dog was buried.
Drunken men drag dog behind pickup truck - National Pet Rescue | Examiner.com

Warning, the video associated with this story is graphic.

Police have arrested a man on charges of animal cruelty after he was captured on video in an elevator kicking and throwing a pit bull puppy.

The disturbing surveillance video shows the man, identified as Irving Sanchez, 46, yanking the puppy's leash, and then kicking and throwing him.
Warning, Graphic Video: Man Beats Pit Bull Puppy in Elevator | NBC New York

It goes on and on......and on

How much pain was inflicted on the dog? I woulld have more concern with the dogs in back of pickups.....that IS really dangerous for the dogs.

Physical or emotional? Strap a child to the roof of a car for 12 hours on the highway and see how he likes it. It's no different for an animal. Maybe Mitt didn't realize it at first; but he sure as hell should have realized it after the dog shit himself in fear. Then what does he do? He hoses the dog off and puts him back on the roof for the duration of the trip. The guy lacks compassion. It's not a good trait.

Dude, watch the youtube, the dog liked it in the air tight kennel. Your doing nothing but projecting for the dog....I don't think you smart enough to do that.

Quick question...............

If the kennel was "airtight" as Mitt said, then why was there brown goo going down the back of the roof and the back window?

Additionally............if it really was "airtight" why did Mitt have to make a windshield for it?

No, the kennel wasn't airtight as claimed.

And..........an animals basic response to fear is generally to soil themselves if they can't run away.

He drove from Boston to Canada with a dog on the roof in a carrier that WASN'T airtight (if it was, why was there crap on the roof of the car).

His private equity firm that he owned killed over 15,000 jobs.

It's not that he owned those things, it's what he DID WITH them.

2012 GOP presidential frontrunner Mitt Romney, who has a large lead in the polls heading into the New Hampshire primary tomorrow, has been taking heat from both Democrats and his Republican challengers for his time at Bain Capital, the private equity firm that he headed. Bain’s modus operandi was to invest in companies, leverage them up with debt, and then sell them off for scrap, allowing Bain’s investors to walk away with huge profits while the companies in which Bain invested wound up in bankruptcy, laying off workers and reneging on benefits.

Last week, Reuters profiled one company, Worldwide Grinding Systems, that went belly up after Bain invested in it. The company not only lost 750 jobs, but the federal government had to come in to bail out its pension fund, while Bain walked away with millions in profits.

And according to an analysis by the Wall Street Journal, this was far from an isolated incident. In fact, 22 percent of the companies in which Bain invested wound up either in bankruptcy or shutting their doors entirely, while Bain itself has made billions of dollars for its investors:

Romney's Bain Capital Made Billions While Bankrupting Nearly One-Quarter Of The Companies It Invested In | ThinkProgress

prove it.
Probably it had something to do with the fact that he was shitting uncontrollably all over his car carrier.

And, he was shitting uncontrollably because he was in real physical distress. Remember that this was on an open highway, speeds greater than what we drive now although 55 or 60 would have the same physical affect.

According to a vet's statement I read, they dog probably came close to death.

This was not like letting your dog hang his head out the window. Traveling at that speed, the buffeting would have had a physical affect on the dog's head and brain.

No, he was not having a good time.

Worse, when Romney saw that the dog was so distressed that he had lost control of his bowels, he actually took a hose to the dog and then returned the wet and freezing dog to the roof of the car for several more hours.

HOW can anyone excuse this behavior?

Let me chip in on this...

It appears many here don't really know dogs. The diarea is almost always a funtion/symptom of diet. The motion could be a factor but the dog would be just as car sick inside the vehicle as out. Even in a dog carrier if the dog doesn't want to be exposed to the wind any dog will lie down and curl up with it's back to the wind. It really depends on the breed but keep in mind that dogsled dogs can sleep comfortably totally out in the open in blowing snow and 60-70 mph wind. My pits have very short hair...they both love to stick their heads and necks out in nearly freezing rain in my car even when on the I-5. They actually are pissed off when I close the window because even with the heater on full blast it gets fucking cold inside the car(Cadillac Eldorado).

I see happy dogs in the back of pickup trucks every day. Like I said ..some of you really don't know dogs.

How much pain was inflicted on the dog? I woulld have more concern with the dogs in back of pickups.....that IS really dangerous for the dogs.

Physical or emotional? Strap a child to the roof of a car for 12 hours on the highway and see how he likes it. It's no different for an animal. Maybe Mitt didn't realize it at first; but he sure as hell should have realized it after the dog shit himself in fear. Then what does he do? He hoses the dog off and puts him back on the roof for the duration of the trip. The guy lacks compassion. It's not a good trait.

Dude, watch the youtube, the dog liked it in the air tight kennel. Your doing nothing but projecting for the dog....I don't think you smart enough to do that.

It's not normal for a dog to defecate in a crate. That's a big reason people will leave them in there while trying to house break them. And they actually like being in there..because dogs like "dens". It takes either illness or stress for them to do that.

Probably it had something to do with the fact that he was shitting uncontrollably all over his car carrier.

And, he was shitting uncontrollably because he was in real physical distress. Remember that this was on an open highway, speeds greater than what we drive now although 55 or 60 would have the same physical affect.

This was not like letting your dog hang his head out the window. Traveling at that speed, the buffeting would have had a physical affect on the dog's head and brain.

Worse, when Romney saw that the dog was so distressed that he had lost control of his bowels, he actually took a hose to the dog and then returned the wet and freezing dog to the roof of the car for several more hours.

It appears many here don't really know dogs. The diarea is almost always a funtion/symptom of diet. The motion could be a factor but the dog would be just as car sick inside the vehicle as out. Even in a dog carrier if the dog doesn't want to be exposed to the wind any dog will lie down and curl up with it's back to the wind. It really depends on the breed but keep in mind that dogsled dogs can sleep comfortably totally out in the open in blowing snow and 60-70 mph wind. My pits have very short hair...they both love to stick their heads and necks out in nearly freezing rain in my car even when on the I-5. They actually are pissed off when I close the window because even with the heater on full blast it gets fucking cold inside the car(Cadillac Eldorado).

I see happy dogs in the back of pickup trucks every day. Like I said ..some of you really don't know dogs.
Would you force a dog to go twelve hours on top of a car without a pee break?

Until they hit a bump in the road. Then it's road pizza.

Not smart, man.

Until they hit a bump in the road. Then it's road pizza.

Not smart, man.

I had a shortbox F150 at the same time I had my 140lb blue dobie Brutus. He rode in the back most of the time. It depends on the dog but my experience is that a big athletic dog that is reasonably smart will learn to lean with the turns and brace at changes in speed. As far as falling out of the box ...never seen it happen and I have taken my 4X4 up and down some hellecious roads. I'm not sure what you mean by "bump". You are not going to just fly into a big pothole even driving a vehicle like my F150 that had raised off road suspension and over sized off road wheels and tires. If there is concern you just tie the leash to a center point in the bed so no matter what happens the dog cannot exit onto the road. Dogs that love their master are far happier being in close proximetry(eye contact) than left behind. Second best is auditory contact. A dog just wants to be "part of a pack"..whatever role in the pack they fit in.

I don't know what breeds you are familiar with but Gladiator Dobies and large well excercised pits are far more athletic and capable physically that any man. They are damn near indestructable. Those stories about someone trying to break up a fight or stop a large pit from attacking with a bat or 2X4 are true. A man cannot punch hard enough to hurt a dog like that. I found the only way I can get my big Red Nose(120lb) to break off from an attack is to stick my head right in there and bite him on the lip. It doesn't "hurt" him but it gets his attention and re-asserts who the Alpha is in the "pack".

No...I just don't buy that a dog carrier is abuse even if it is strapped to the top of a station wagon. Also...you are not going to be able to get any dog up in a carrier that high if it does not want to go there. The dog will have to help in that manuvere. Maybe the first time..but if it is uncomfortable the dog won't let ya put him in there a second time.

What is beyond debate, though, is that this far into this particular trip, Seamus had ceased enjoying his ride.

prove it.

You must consider shitting yourself while locked very confined space for an extended period a good time.

For everyone else, no further proof is needed.

Where is it said the dog "shit itself"? Diahrea or runny poop is not uncomon in any dog and has little to do with the happiness of the animal. My pups are as healthy and happy as it gets. The main problem with dogs diet is that it is almost impossible to totally restrict what a dog will put in it's mouth. They will eat stuff that is not good for them. I treat and feed my pits like they are kings and queens. I cook for them twice a day... Still occasionally they will have runny poop. They get fresh cooked chicken,pork or beef with whole wheat pasta or rice with vegetables every day along with a good selection of dry kibbles, compressed meal bones, real bones and rawhide chews. Even as well nourished as they are they get the runs once in a while lasting just one poop cycle. It means nothing. It is true that stress affects a dogs digestion but it is far more common that they will puke when stressed and riding in a vehicle than have a bout of runny poop. My dogs even regurgitate once in a while cuz they wolf down their food sometimes or they get some string or other garbage attatched to what they eat and just puke it up if it doesn't digest or go down easily.

I'm no fan of Romney for a multitude of reasons...animal cruelty is not one of them.

What is beyond debate, though, is that this far into this particular trip, Seamus had ceased enjoying his ride.

prove it.

You must consider shitting yourself while locked very confined space for an extended period a good time.

For everyone else, no further proof is needed.

Nothing like riding for 12 hours in a very confined space on top of a car in a pile of your own shit.

Ah, good times....

Forum List

Back