🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

New Guidance Warns Landlords They Could Face Discrimination Charges For Turning Down Tenants With Cr

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
You people voted for this. remember how that Democrat party cares for the little guy? well how is this helping the little guys who Doesn't WANT TO rent to a felon, child molester, rapist. etc . You see how hard it is now to evict them now, you'[ll tied in courts because you turn them down to rent. . How is this helping EVERYONE they took an oath to represent?. Democrats singles out CERTAIN people in this country and uses them to take away all of OUR RIGHTS to choose who we rent too. who we bake a cake for,etc

snip:
(CNSNews.com) – The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development is warning landlords they could face discrimination charges for turning down prospective tenants with criminal records – if the decision has an “unjustified discriminatory effect.”

A Republican senator described new HUD guidance issued this week as yet another move by the Obama administration to support convicted criminals.

The 10-page document states that “where a policy or practice that restricts access to housing on the basis of criminal history has a disparate impact on individuals of a particular race, national origin, or other protected class, such policy or practice is unlawful under the Fair Housing Act.”

The Fair Housing Act applies to federally-funded and private sector housing.

Landlords will have to show, if challenged, that they are not turning away tenants “based on generalizations or stereotypes,” the guidance says.

Although the guidance notes the importance of landlords protecting their safety and property, landlords are expected to provide evidence that a policy of basing decisions on criminal history “actually assists in protecting resident safety and/or property.”

“Bald assertions based on generalizations or stereotypes that any individual with an arrest or conviction record poses a greater risk than any individual without such a record are not sufficient to satisfy this burden.”

The new guidance states that the U.S. prison population is “by far the largest in the world,” that a disproportionate number of African Americans and Hispanics are incarcerated, and therefore have a criminal record that could limit access to housing.

“Because of widespread racial and ethnic disparities in the U.S. criminal justice system, criminal history-based restrictions on access to housing are likely disproportionately to burden African Americans and Hispanics.”

In one example, the guidance says a landlord who rejects a Hispanic tenant on the basis of criminal history but admits “a non-Hispanic White applicant with a comparable criminal record,” could be violating the act.

The only crime specified in the guidance as a justified reason to deny housing is conviction for drug manufacturing or distribution. An HUD official told CNSNews.com that is an exemption that is in the act itself.

ALL of it here:
New Guidance Warns Landlords They Could Face Discrimination Charges For Turning Down Tenants With Criminal Records

one comment with the article
chip chip chip away at our freedoms one democrat vote at a time
snip:
Our wrecking ball (Obama a prophet of evil) is transforming this nation into a third world nation "without laws." Criminals being released before time served. Criminals having the same rights as citizens who keep the law. What's wrong with this picture coming from the white house?

Obama is leading right towards a new world order; its so obvious that the democrats are to blind to see this truth. They continue to swoon over Obama's executive actions that's leading us to our destruction as a free people. This is another executive action to take your freedom away.

OBAMA’S EXECUTIVE ORDER ATTACKS HAVE CENTERED MOSTLY AROUND OUR 1ST & 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS--I MIGHT ADD: GOD GIVEN RIGHTS --THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCES UNDER THE FLAG TELLS US

WHO WE STAND WITH AS A NATION--ITS GOD)!

New Guidance Warns Landlords They Could Face Discrimination Charges For Turning Down Tenants With Criminal Records

OBAMA’S EXECUTIVE ORDER ATTACKS HAVE CENTERED MOSTLY AROUND OUR 1ST & 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS--I MIGHT ADD: GOD GIVEN RIGHTS --THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCES UNDER THE FLAG TELLS US

Except that the nation was not under God until the 1950's..

Scanned some of the document..............allows HUD to challenge complaints for discrimination due to a criminal history........

So a ex-con tries to rent your property.........you do a back ground check and find out he's guilty of sexual crimes, theft, or arson...............and so you say get the fuck on............I'm not letting you rent my property because I'm afraid you will damage the property, be a threat to other renters, and etc...........

So the criminal goes to HUD...........files a complaint and they come after you for trying to protect your property...........

The danged gov't needs to stop getting into every damned thing..................this rule could be abused to a great extent.

What the hell does that have to do with HUD crawling up your ass if you refuse to rent property to a convicted sex offender who just got out of jail..............

Just saying.

So, as a Christian nation we should not treat criminals in a manner which is abusive, after they have served their time for their crime..

What the hell does that have to do with HUD crawling up your ass if you refuse to rent property to a convicted sex offender who just got out of jail..............

Just saying.
What the Hell did it have to do with anything in the article? Emotive response...

It is bizarre how the underlying assumption is that blacks and browns have been incarcerated unjustly. The jewish judges and non-white juries generally under convict them. Is there a stipulation in the "guidance" that says US Marshalls will evict the savages if they start acting up? Or is the eviction process going to take a few years and an army of jewish lawyers?

Have you read the Declaration of Independence...this nation has always been under God........he created it....

Just saying.
What the Hell did it have to do with anything in the article? Emotive response...
LOL

Do the criminals rights have more Rights than those renting??????????????? What about their rights........is that included with your Grandstanding post...............Rent to them or the HUD will crawl up your ass.....................

That's my property being rented............I should be able to protect my self from renters who may do my property harm, or possibly harm other renters...........such as in the case of a sex offender...............

If HUD wants to make sure they have a place to stay then they should do it on their properties, and not private citizens........Like section 8.

So, as a Christian nation we should not treat criminals in a manner which is abusive, after they have served their time for their crime..

I was listening to Dennis Prager today...and this very topic of serving their time...paying their debt to society came up in relation to the death penalty....

How is sitting in jail where you are kept from attacking other people...paying your debt to society? As Prager pointed out...making restitution to your victim.....and living a non criminal life after you get out is just the start of paying your debt....

sitting in a jail cell......is just keeping other people safe...

Yeah.....and all those morons who said that bakers had no 1st Amendment rights to not bake a cake.....this is the next step.....if you can't refuse to bake a cake...you can't refuse to rent to a child rapist.....

God would surely wonder at conservatives and republicans, compassion and empathy are so removed from them they remain as most orthodox religious do, in a world long past. It always strikes me as funny the only government they want is the government that enforces their desire to manage the life of another. At no time do they do good for people.

"The vilest hypocrites, urged on by that same fury which they call zeal for God's law, have everywhere prosecuted men whose blameless character and distinguished qualities have excited the hostility of the masses, publicly denouncing their beliefs and inflaming the savage crowd's anger against them. And this shameless license, sheltering under the cloak of religion, is not easy to suppress." Baruch Spinoza

I was listening to Dennis Prager today...and this very topic of serving their time...paying their debt to society came up in relation to the death penalty....

How is sitting in jail where you are kept from attacking other people...paying your debt to society? As Prager pointed out...making restitution to your victim.....and living a non criminal life after you get out is just the start of paying your debt....

sitting in a jail cell......is just keeping other people safe...
It all goes back to when society was being formed by the Philoshphes in the 17 and 18th century...

God would surely wonder at conservatives and republicans, compassion and empathy are so removed from them they remain as most orthodox religious do, in a world long past. It always strikes me as funny the only government they want is the government that enforces their desire to manage the life of another. At no time do they do good for people.

"The vilest hypocrites, urged on by that same fury which they call zeal for God's law, have everywhere prosecuted men whose blameless character and distinguished qualities have excited the hostility of the masses, publicly denouncing their beliefs and inflaming the savage crowd's anger against them. And this shameless license, sheltering under the cloak of religion, is not easy to suppress." Baruch Spinoza

are you serious.......the democrats are the party of controlling others......from what you eat, to the kind of toilet you can use, to the kind of toilet you can own, to who you can rent to, to how much you can pay employees......on and on .....and they never stop....to what lunch your kids can eat in school....

The real funny thing is you think that with all the control they want over every aspect of your life...that they are going to leave the way you have sex alone......that is funny.....

I suggest you create rental properties and put criminals welcome on your sign out front..........That would be a hoot. This is not government property......it is private property and property owners have rights just as citizens have rights............Part of that right is the right to protect yourself from possible losses by allowing criminals into your property that could cause harm to other renters, damage your property, or not be able to make the payments.............which is why most rental places do standard back ground checks to at least try to check the ability to pay the rent once they move into the place.

Like I said....open a place up and say we cater to sex offenders here............I'm sure you'll rent the place out within a day.

Just saying.
LOL

Do the criminals rights have more Rights than those renting??????????????? What about their rights........is that included with your Grandstanding post...............Rent to them or the HUD will crawl up your ass.....................

That's my property being rented............I should be able to protect my self from renters who may do my property harm, or possibly harm other renters...........such as in the case of a sex offender...............

If HUD wants to make sure they have a place to stay then they should do it on their properties, and not private citizens........Like section 8.
I see some one yet again, peed in yer Post Toasties..

are you serious.......the democrats are the party of controlling others......from what you eat, to the kind of toilet you can use, to the kind of toilet you can own, to who you can rent to, to how much you can pay employees......on and on .....and they never stop....to what lunch your kids can eat in school....

The real funny thing is you think that with all the control they want over every aspect of your life...that they are going to leave the way you have sex alone......that is funny.....
Yet you forget that two republican presidents declared war on drugs..
It is bizarre how the underlying assumption is that blacks and browns have been incarcerated unjustly. The jewish judges and non-white juries generally under convict them. Is there a stipulation in the "guidance" that says US Marshalls will evict the savages if they start acting up? Or is the eviction process going to take a few years and an army of jewish lawyers?
I bet there was Methodist involved also, maybe even a Presbyterian...

I suggest you create rental properties and put criminals welcome on your sign out front..........That would be a hoot. This is not government property......it is private property and property owners have rights just as citizens have rights............Part of that right is the right to protect yourself from possible losses by allowing criminals into your property that could cause harm to other renters, damage your property, or not be able to make the payments.............which is why most rental places do standard back ground checks to at least try to check the ability to pay the rent once they move into the place.

Like I said....open a place up and say we cater to sex offenders here............I'm sure you'll rent the place out within a day.
At least you'd know where they are all at...

http://www.valleybrokerspropertymanagement.com/Standard_Criteria_.pdf

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Valid government issued identification with a picture id will be required.
2. Invalid or no Social Security number will result in additional deposit above the standard in the amount of one month’s rent or more per property.
3. A complete and accurate application listing the current and at least one previous rental reference with phone numbers will be required (incomplete applications will be returned).
4. Each applicant will be required to qualify individually
5. Applicants must be able to enter a legal and binding contract.
6. Incomplete, inaccurate or falsified information will be grounds for denial.
7. Any applicant currently using illegal drugs or reporting a conviction for the illegal manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance shall be denied.

8. Any individual, who may constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of an individual, the complex, or the property of others, will be denied.

9. An application insufficient in Credit and Rental Requirements shall require an additional security deposit equal to 100% of the stated rental amount, over and above any other security deposit or additional security deposit required.
10. The total security deposit required will be that of the least qualified applicant.
11. The denial of one applicant will result in the denial of the entire application.
12. In order to qualify as a co-signer, you must have a minimum monthly income of four (4) times the stated rent and show no negative credit reports.
13. The demeanor of the applicant during the showing and screening will be considered, unacceptable demeanor may be grounds for denial.
14. Applications that far exceed minimum standards in individual categories but fail to meet minimum standards in another shall be reviewed and possibly reconsidered if extenuating and explainable circumstances warrant.

CRIMINAL CONVICTION CRITERIA

Upon receipt of the rental applications and screening fee, landlord will conduct a search of public records to determine whether the applicant or any proposed tenant has been convicted of, or pled guilty to or no-contest to, any crime.

a) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, ever for: any felony involving serious injury, kidnapping, death, arson, rape, sex crimes and/or child sex crimes, extensive property damage or drug-related offenses (sale, manufacture, delivery or possession with intent to sell) class A/Felony burglary or class A/Felony robbery; or

b) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last seven years for: any other felony charges; or

c) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last seven years for: any misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor involving assault, intimidation, sex related, drug related (sale, manufacture, delivery or possession) property damage or weapons charges; or

d) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last three years for: any class B or C misdemeanor in the above categories or any misdemeanors involving criminal trespass I, theft, dishonesty, and prostitution shall be grounds for denial of the rental application. Pending charges or outstanding warrants for any of the above will result in a suspension of the application process until the charges are resolved. Upon resolution, if an appropriate unit is still available, the processing of the application will be completed. No unit will be held waiting resolution of pending charges.

Forum List

Back