New Mexico may elect first Native American Congresswoman

Of the 92 women who participated in Tuesday’s eight primaries, at least 36 of them won spots on ballots.

Women are likely to be elected governor for the first time in Iowa and South Dakota, and for the first time in nearly five decades in Alabama, according to Gender Watch 2018, a project of the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University. Women are also poised to make significant progress in House races: Iowa, for example, may elect its first-ever congresswoman, and New Mexico may elect the country’s first Native American congresswoman, Deb Haaland.

More: Women Won Big In Tuesday's Primary Elections

I wish her well. What do you think?
If she isn’t owned and controlled by the ruling class, I am all for her.

She is a Dem so how likely will she be owned and controled
Very likely... just as much as if she were an R.

She looks real to me.

deb-haaland-2-comp-img.jpg
Looking real is a damn good reason to support her. lol

:)

height_182_no_border_width_320.jpg :hands: This lady will not only be an asset to her tribe, her state, etc, but to the entire US government as it is rare to have people of all or much Native heritage venture beyond tribal councils and states politics. Ben Nighthorse Campbell and Winona LaDuke are notable exceptions to Native peoples who would rather stay away from US federal politics. It is sometimes that Native peoples get into state governments. The world needs people grounded in reason, spirit, and respect for Mother Earth. The US government needs courteous diversity. Elizabeth Warren may or may not have Native heritage. People dislike her conflicts with Trump unless they dislike Trump and that is where the "not real" discussions come from.

Last edited:
Gender didn't seem important when Sara Palin ran for Vice President. Why is gender so important now? Is it possible that a Native American female politician would be pro-abortion when Native Americans are all but fading away from natural causes and alcoholism ?

Last edited:
Gender didn't seem important when Sara Palin ran for Vice President. Why is gender so important now? Is it possible that a Native American female politician would be pro-abortion when Native Americans are all but fading away?
I like your point... IMHO "novelty voting" is always the wrong way to go unless that novelty is pure happenstance (perhaps it is in NM)... I'm fine going any amt. of time until a female candidate (in any election), head and shoulders, stands out above the rest of the pack on the issues, temperament and all the other 'electability' factors... Perhaps I'm still butt hurt over 2008 election cycle and how that "novelty election" turned out.

height_182_no_border_width_320.jpg
"Your body is all you have to give back to the Creator," explains Campbell. "I've been told by some of the older people that I need to do it. They say I've been given lots of gifts--artist, senator--and it's time to give something back. I've often wondered about doing it, but I wonder how it would be perceived. After all, I wasn't raised on the reservation. And I don't know if I'm emotionally ready, not to mention the physical stamina it takes.

"I know for sure there'd be a political backlash," he adds. "The network of my enemies would be all over it: 'He's a heathen and pagan. He lacks Christian family values.' If it's not Christian, then it's a cult. So I go and watch and support the dancers. But I don't know if there will ever be a right time for me."

Tribal leaders waited with him on the night of his 1992 election to the Senate. When it became clear he had won, Campbell says, they wouldn't let him acknowledge his victory before he had gone through a purification ceremony. "They're really proud of me," Campbell adds.

A sign outside the powwow grounds at Lame Deer welcomes visitors to the Northern Cheyenne reservation............................................................................................................. "Home of U.S. Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell."

Anybody born in America is a "Native American", dummy.
That ain't true flash. You can use it if you want but the term Native American is reserved to Indian tribal members.

My great grandmother was Seminole Indian. I have authentic tribal lineage. How does that make me more of a "Native American" than being born in Polk County, Florida?

Rod-In-Regalia_Web.jpg The Indian Citizenship Act of 1924, also known as the Snyder Act, was proposed by Representative Homer P. Snyder (R) of New York and granted full U.S. citizenship to the indigenous peoples of the United States, called "Indians" in this Act. While the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution defined as citizens any person born in the U.S., the amendment had been interpreted to restrict the citizenship rights of most Native people. The act was signed into law by President Calvin Coolidge on June 2, 1924. It was enacted partially in recognition of the thousands of Indians who served in the armed forces during World War I.

That ain't true flash. You can use it if you want but the term Native American is reserved to Indian tribal members.

the-dude.jpg
We are apparently engaged in a political discussion about a Native American politician and the pop-culture educated fringe posts a photo of characters in a movie in a bowling alley scene as a retort to an argument . I rest my case.

the-dude.jpg
We are apparently engaged in a political discussion about a Native American politician and the pop-culture educated fringe posts a photo of characters in a movie in a bowling alley scene as a retort to an argument . I rest my case.

Very appropriate for refusal to understand that the term "Native America" is nothing more a pathetic attempt to divide with identity politics. Something that Liberals do all the time and it is dispicable.

If you are born in America you are a Native American.

Forum List

Back