New Zealand denies work visa because applicant is fat

You can see the logic behind it even if you find it offensive.

The relatively extensive and high-quality system of public hospitals treats citizens or permanent residents free of charge and is managed by District Health Boards.

The Kiwis don't want to pay for the HC of a NON CITIZEN likely to soon become chronically ill.

I read that 80% of adult Americans are overweight and 60% obese. They say it's a sign of the times--too much eating, computer time and not enough exercise. I have never been overweight but I could see how it would be easy to get that way.

The cause of obesity in the United States has more to do with the change of the standards where millions of people who were of normal weight woke up the day after the change took effect and learned they were now overweight.

Fattening the Obesity Statistics, Arnold Kling, GQE | EconLog | Library of Economics and Liberty

In 1998, the U.S. Government changed the standards by which body mass index is measured. As a result, close to 30 million Americans were shifted from a government-approved weight to the overweight and obese category, without gaining an ounce, Burrita said.

According to an American Medical Association report, 14.5 % of Americans in 1980 were obese, a total of 32,700,000 (based on a population of 226,000,000). If, as the above article states, the numbers of obese Americans have "doubled" in the past twenty years, this would mean there are now about 66 million of them. But thirty million of those fatties were created by a change in definition, so by the standards of 1980 [we would calculate an] obesity percentage of 12.85 percent, an actual decrease in obesity percentage since 1980.

We got lazy. Lazy with cooking healthy meals. Lazy about exercising. Lazy about staying active. We drive everywhere. Sit at desks/computers/tv's much of the day. Think 10 minutes walking around shopping at a store is exercise. And most don't care...

We got lazy. Lazy with cooking healthy meals. Lazy about exercising. Lazy about staying active. We drive everywhere. Sit at desks/computers/tv's much of the day. Think 10 minutes walking around shopping at a store is exercise. And most don't care...

I think a more senditary lifestyle is a small part of the fattening of America.

I suspect that the CRAP FOOD we're now eating is playing a larger role.

CORN sugar, for example, is killing people.

Plus the FOOD PYRAMID we were told was healthy eating is a load of BS.

Most of us eat too much grain, too much sugar, not enough protein.

You can see the logic behind it even if you find it offensive.

The relatively extensive and high-quality system of public hospitals treats citizens or permanent residents free of charge and is managed by District Health Boards.

The Kiwis don't want to pay for the HC of a NON CITIZEN likely to soon become chronically ill.

I agree with that - BUT - this man has been provided with a Visa before, even though he was a whole 30 kilograms heavier than he is now.

He is actually less likely to need medical treatment due to his weight than he was when he first arrived.

New Zealand, unlike the United States, has universal health care. And it isn't all about his weight. He requires knee surgery costing $20,000.

He can pay for it himself - he came into the country in need of surgery, after all.

Plus the FOOD PYRAMID we were told was healthy eating is a load of BS.

Most of us eat too much grain, too much sugar, not enough protein.

I couldn't agree more. if Americans adapted more of a protein based diet instead of low fat/ high carbohydrates diet there would be less high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes cases.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

New Zealand, unlike the United States, has universal health care. And it isn't all about his weight. He requires knee surgery costing $20,000.

He can pay for it himself - he came into the country in need of surgery, after all.
He could stay here and be covered by Obamanoncare...or his case put before the committee of liberal numbnuts that can evaluate his net worth and give him a pass or put him on death row...in hopes that his estate taxes can be claimed as deficit reduction.

It is important that all migrants have an acceptable standard of health to minimise costs and demands on New Zealand's health services," he said.
Fair' nuff. Their country, their rules. Dude is always free to return to South Africa to work.

Forum List

Back