NFL Ratings down big time - INCLUDING a classic Superbowl

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
The NFL season is over — but its ratings problem might be just starting

Rating slumped 12% this season and the forecast doesn't look any better. First, they blamed it on multimedia alternatives. Simple answer and that may sway some, but not to this effect. Is it the product on the field. The guys are bigger, stronger and faster than ever. Then they tried to blame it on Trump and the interest in the election! Lol no F'ing way.

I think it comes down to the an elitist disconnect between the owner, players and fans. The cost of going to a game is outrageous. Take a Bears game. Face value tickets cost $125 to $200 for nose bleed seats, not to mention seating outside in the winter in the snow and cold. Then close parking cost $100 (further parking you could get for $40). Then they gauge you for food and drinks.

For a family of 4, the cost at the low end is $640 and the high end is $1000. Insane and not worth it, but fans still do it.

However I think the killer has been Colin Cuntpatrick and the NFL response to him. Like all sports the fan base is largely made of the white upper middle class. White Americans took huge offense to Cuntpatrick's kneeling during the anthem and the NFL not only condoning it but encouraging it, because he they didn't want to upset the social justice warriors who scream loud but aren't their customers. No their stance isolated their base.

I am one person but I didn't watch a single NFL game this year (except the Super Bowl) and I have done that since, well I can't remember. I also didn't attend at least one game in 20+ yrs.

Liberals will mock with red herrings, but I am one of countless that have turned my back to the NFL because of Cuntpatrick and I don't think that will change any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Rating slumped 12% this season and the forecast doesn't look any better. First, they blamed it on multimedia alternatives. Simple answer and that may sway some, but not to this effect. Is it the product on the field. The guys are bigger, stronger and faster than ever. Then they tried to blame it on Trump and the interest in the election! Lol no F'ing way.

I think it comes down to the an elitist disconnect between the owner, players and fans. The cost of going to a game is outrageous. Take a Bears game. Face value tickets cost $125 to $200 for nose bleed seats, not to mention seating outside in the winter in the snow and cold. Then close parking cost $100 (further parking you could get for $40). Then they gauge you for food and drinks.

For a family of 4, the cost at the low end is $640 and the high end is $1000. Insane and not worth it, but fans still do it.

However I think the killer has been Colin Cuntpatrick and the NFL response to him. Like all sports the fan base is largely made of the white upper middle class. White Americans took huge offense to Cuntpatrick's kneeling during the anthem and the NFL not only condoning it but encouraging it, because he they didn't want to upset the social justice warriors who scream loud but aren't their customers. No their stance isolated their base.

I am one person but I didn't watch a single NFL game this year (except the Super Bowl) and I have done that since, well I can't remember. I also didn't attend at least one game in 20+ yrs.

Liberals will mock with red herrings, but I am one of countless that have turned my back to the NFL because of Cuntpatrick and I don't think that will change any time soon.

My theory is they haven't lost fans but the fans are just less intense. I got Sunday Ticket for a decade and didn't renew this year for the first time. I'm not against the NFL, just less into it than I was. I watched games probably 3/4 of the weekends where as before I never missed a week.

I agree with the arrogance of the league. A few examples

- Suspending Brady for a crime they couldn't prove he did or even had real evidence. For things like that you punish the team, not a player. Actually I think that's why they did it. Four games without Brady was the best way to hurt the team. Still not fair to the player. Glad he overcame it in the biggest possible way ...

- Punishing the Redskins and Cowboys for violating a non-existent cap and since they didn't break a rule they changed the collective bargaining agreement and bribed the players to get away with it

- The stupid assault on the "Redskins" name when 90% of indians have no issue with the name

Godell is the worst, the guy is an arrogant, unresponsive ass

Last edited:
I think its several things.

Liberals trying to ruin the game through politics

Prices are waaaaay too high

And free agency, which has killed pro spoets for me. You have no emotional connection to players any longer. The rosters change too much and you don't get to know the players.

Between the entitlement some of the players show us and entering politics, I watch my football on Saturday.

I've never been very interested in pro football. I am much more into college football. Go Tigers.

Ravens owner hit nail on the head saying NFL had too many commercials.

Well, the ownership of the Chargers just sent a big F U to the San Diego fans.....

1. Liberality of sports broadcasters.
2. Collin Koepernick
3, Letting Koepernick do what he wants, and sticks Brady near 5 million.
4. People are figuring out sports is a want and not a need.
5. People are cutting cable and therefore cutting more sports.

Watched 50 Super Bowls.
Sunday my wife and I did a Lord of the Rings movie marathon. Don't need the anti-American NFL BS anymore.

Goodall is ruining the game and the snowflakes on ESPN are over the top ridiculous. We went fishing, didn't even DVR the game. I just have lost interest. Teams moving, flags flying, no celebrations, hits too hard, just a bunch of left and right coast liberal BS...don't need it. Watch High school ball instead.

Goodall is ruining the game and the snowflakes on ESPN are over the top ridiculous. We went fishing, didn't even DVR the game. I just have lost interest. Teams moving, flags flying, no celebrations, hits too hard, just a bunch of left and right coast liberal BS...don't need it. Watch High school ball instead.

ESPN is the worst... Except for "Highly Questionable"... funny damn show.

.....and games in Europe!!!!!!! WTF is up with that? Maybe I'm just getting older and can't relate to the new NFL but it has changed a great deal over the last 10 years. Kind of predictable and average entertainment. They tried fantasy football it worked for a while but now that is even dropping in popularity. And Kaperdick is just a big billboard for finding something else to do on Sunday.

My opinion is to many days of football you have the games during the day on Sunday then the Sunday night game followed by the Monday night game quickly followed by Thursday night football then back to Sunday. That can burn you out on the game pretty quick.

Forum List

Back