Nice Find This Weekend - A Piece Of WW2 History

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I picked this up this weekend, while we were out hitting garage sales. It's a World War two era Japanese series 6 Type 99 Arisaka 7.7mm rifle. It's probably a veteran's bringback, as it has no import markings on it. The rifle is completely original except that the Chrysanthemum symbol on the receiver has been ground off. Most of the rifle the Japanese surrendered after the war had the symbol ground off. That was the Japanese Emperor's symbol, and we allowed them to grind it off to prevent disrespect to the Emperor. I completely disassembled it, cleaned it and oiled it, and took it out back to do a test shooting with the Honaday ammo I got with it. She shoots like a dream, hitting the steel target at 75 yards every time. I paid $60 for it, which is a steal, as these usually bring $400 in this condition. These have become pretty collectible as many of them brought back after WW2 were sporterized or re-chambered for .257 Roberts or other calibers. I'll probably get a set of 7.7 Jap reloading dies and work up some loads, as I can make the brass out of 30-06 brass.

arisaka1.jpg

arisaka2.jpg

arisaka3.jpg

arisaka4.jpg

arisaka5.jpg

arisaka6.jpg

arisaka7.jpg

arisaka8.jpg

arisaka9.jpg

arisaka9a.jpg

arisaka9b.jpg

• Banned
Congrats. I have one and the bayonet.

They're actually pretty decent rifles. They got a bad rap after the war because of the late-war "last ditch" models with the wooden buttplate and non-checkered welded-on safeties but for the most part, the Arisaka has been tested as having one of the strongest actions of any WW2 rifles.

I've had 6 Arisaka rifles over the last 5 years that came from garage sales, but have sold them all. This one is a keeper.

They're actually pretty decent rifles. They got a bad rap after the war because of the late-war "last ditch" models with the wooden buttplate and non-checkered welded-on safeties but for the most part, the Arisaka has been tested as having one of the strongest actions of any WW2 rifles.

I've had 6 Arisaka rifles over the last 5 years that came from garage sales, but have sold them all. This one is a keeper.
How is the bore?

My son and I picked up a couple of 1949 SKS. He also bought a Soviet-era army long coat(must weigh 20 pounds) and his special ops Soviet shock troop outfit to play with his friends...I started collecting WWI and II stuff in the 1960's, but I don't have all of it after all these years. My Luger was stolen and my dog chewed up my flying cap and bomber jackets. Most of it was given to me by my Grandfather and great uncles form their collections.

• Banned

How is the bore?

My son and I picked up a couple of 1949 SKS. He also bought a Soviet-era army long coat(must weigh 20 pounds) and his special ops Soviet shock troop outfit to play with his friends...I started collecting WWI and II stuff in the 1960's, but I don't have all of it after all these years. My Luger was stolen and my dog chewed up my flying cap and bomber jackets. Most of it was given to me by my Grandfather and great uncles form their collections.

The bore is in pristine condition, notice the original muzzle protector on the end. They have chrome-lined barrels on them so they last quite a while.

Too bad about the leather bombardier's jacket. I've seen some of those go for as high as $500 on Ebay.

How is the bore?

The bore is in pristine condition, notice the original muzzle protector on the end. They have chrome-lined barrels on them so they last quite a while.

Too bad about the leather bombardier's jacket. I've seen some of those go for as high as $500 on Ebay.
I also had the cap but a dog chewed it up in the 1970's.

• Banned

How is the bore?

I also had the cap but a dog chewed it up in the 1970's.

Damned dog.

Forum List

Back